I propose a new type of Affirmative Action

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: I propose a new type of Affirmative Action
By Anon. on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 07:36 pm: Edit

If you look at the student bodies of elite colleges the claim can be made they they are somewhat lacking on racial diversity.

There is, however, a more pressing lack of diversity in our elite institutions.

For an example, let's take a look at MIT, perhaps the top institution in Engineering and Science fields in this country. Read this site: http://web.mit.edu/ir/cds/2002/c.html

From reading, you will see that NO ONE was admitted to MIT with an SAT math score lower than 600 or a class rank not in the first 25%. There's not ONE student in MIT who is intellectually below average!

This shows the disgusting lack of diversity in intelligence in elite colleges today. Many intelligent students have throughout their life attended advanced classes and been segregated from less intelligent students. They have probably dealt very little with people of lesser intelligence. A college education that does not expose intelligent students to people of lesser intelligence will leave the intelligent student unprepared for the real world and the work world in which he or she must deal with people of lesser intelligence daily.

There is also a great amount of discrimination in every aspect of life against people of lesser intelligence. They have been shown to earn less money and be more likely to commit crime and become imprisoned. Intellectual Affirmative Action would not be a discrimination against intelligent students, but rather a levelling of the playing field to allow people of lesser intelligence to compete equally.

End intellectual discrimination now! Support Intellectual Affirmative Action, lest our elite colleges remain the enclave of the highly intelligent! Support diversity!

By Burberry (Burberry) on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

cool, i'd like that =)

By aadsfsdf on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

We already have that kind of AA.

By quarky on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Anonimous,

guess what? You are WRONG!!!! And on several occasions:

(1)
"NO ONE was admitted to MIT with an SAT math score lower than 600 or a class rank not in the first 25%."
-INCORRECT-
If you read carefully, it says that the data describes the student body, not the applicants. Someone with a 400 math score might have been accepted, but decided not to go to MIT (of course, 400 is a gross exaggeration)

(2)
"There's not ONE student in MIT who is intellectually below average! "
-THE ANSWER CANNOT BE DETERMINED-
Although intellectuality cannot be based solely on test scores, you can see that some students have verbal SAT scores below aerage (less than 50th percentile).

Try retaking this easy two-question test :)

By dxiw on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 08:02 pm: Edit

umm, the colleges like harvard, mit, etc are prestige. you get in because you are SMART, y should they start accepting idiots? then their rep would go out the drain...

By bad idea on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Admitting only the cream of the crop is why MIT is MIT. If they started admitting people with 800 SAT's at the bottom of their class, they would not be as well-respected, and their classes would have to be slowed down so the stupid kids can understand all the material. NOT A GOOD IDEA AT ALL!!!!

By lol on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit

I feel that I should be accepted to Juliard. Although I am pretty much tone deaf, Juliard seems unfairly biased toward accepting talented people. I feel that my music disability would lend diversity to the school.

By Anon. on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Are you saying that elite colleges should ignore diversity of intelligence and all the benefits it brings in favor of admitting the most "qualified" class based on biased "merits?"

It is well established that less intelligent people are at an unfair disadvantage throughout their K-12 education. Less intelligent people often go to inferior high schools and across all income levels they receive lower GPAs and SATs.

Many students have gone through school with little interaction with those of lesser intelligence, and if they get into college and do not see any people of lesser intelligence they will form negative stereotypes and "intellectism" against those of lesser intelligence.

By dxiw on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Umm, hey guys I write in the newspaper and I hate math and suck at it (470sat) but i got 750 in verbal. You think caltech is going to want me? I made 340 math 2c and 280 and math 1c. I think I have a good chance.

I'm also applying to Juliard, I hope I can get in cause ever since I broke the guitar when I was 10 trying to play it I haven't played since.

By Steve on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

The difference in intellectual and racial judgement is that society can identify race differeces a lot easier. According to society, there is something innately different between a genius and someone who is not as intelligent. There is no natural difference in races, though and if you say differently, you are a bigot. (Of course, I believe that intellect is not really permenent either, but it's hard for organized edcation to operate without assuming that intellect is constant.)

By hahahahahaha on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

am i the only one who gets the joke?

HE THINKS AFF. ACTION IS STUPID GUYS.

By bad idea on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Anon, to respond to your last post, affirmative action does help the people who grew up in unfortunate circumstances. Colleges will accept people with lower SAT scores who have overcome a lot of adversity, but they won't just accept random stupid people to get diversity of intelligence. True, people at MIT generally don't interact with stupid people very often, but that's why they're MIT and not community college (no offense to community colleges)

By adfasdf on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Colleges will accept people with lower SAT scores who have the right skin color.

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Seriously Laugh Out Loud funny to all of you who took this proposal seriously!!

"Why would they do that, then their rep would suck."

HAHAHAHAHA

You people crack me up.
To borrow from Scott Adams
"For those of you satire-impaired, and believe me you don't know who you are..." HE WAS MAKING A POINT, NOT A SERIOUS PROPOSAL.

Boy, I hope you don't try to read political cartoons anytime soon.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page