ATTN: Wanksta33 I got a question...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: ATTN: Wanksta33 I got a question...
By dxiw on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 03:31 pm: Edit

I want to do the Ecnomics course at Harvard Summer School and I'm applying now. I just want to know, since you got an A, how much did you study every day? How difficult is the course? How much free time do you have?

For me, to go and not make an A is much worse than not going.

By dxiw on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 04:58 pm: Edit

DUDE COMMON, ANYONE THAT DID HARVARD SUMMER RESPOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By sid mathur on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

how did your sat IIs go?

By Wanksta33 on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 05:53 pm: Edit

heh dxiw-

The class itself is very easy and straightforward. There's no difficult equation or nebulous concept involved in intro econ. What I might be more concerned about is: is it really worth it? I personally had a great time, but many others didn't enjoy it as much as I did. Plus, it didn't get me into Harvard EA either, even w/ a 1570. Otherwise, the program is pretty sweet...there's almost zero supervision, therefore anyone can leave campus, go into Boston, and have parties as long as u make it back by 12 o'clock or so. I spent 10 hrs a week in class, another 4 studying (2 of them were overkill, actually), and another 70 hrs of freetime a week, i'd say. If u get some of it paid for by the school, all the better.

By dxiw on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

sid mathur - they went ok, I guessed on 2 or 3, worst possible scenario I missed like 4 or 5. I should still have 800 though.

Wanksta33 - Whats really popular? I wanted to do Econ to see if I really like it cause I was gonna maybe major in Business Admin. My dad wants me to take Bio, how hard is that? and what classes were popular? did you make any new friends? or find any girls?

By Wanksta33 on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Yeah dxiw, the people who go to Summer School have various reasons for going there. I met this really hot girl there who went there just because she wanted to get away from her parents (we still keep in touch via IM). When you get into sciences and math courses, it'll get much tougher for the A, if that's what you're going for. However, most classes grade on a curve (20% of my class got an A), so if you went there for studying, I bet you could beat out 80% of almost any class; there were so many cool things to do that, for many, studying often came second.

By dxiw on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 08:05 pm: Edit

well of course I'm gonna say hi to everyone and try to talk to some hot girls, but I really need to make an A. So if I want to have any fun I should take something easier like eco? Also, just curious what were the sat scores of ppl there like in the 1300's or 1400's or what?

By anonymous on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

haha...you a wanksta

By Wanksta33 on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 08:37 pm: Edit

My roommate took Java, cheated in numerous ways (i.e. collaborating with others on problems and doing less than half of the work), yet he easily did more than twice as much work as I did. Admission is truly not selective; of course, some people there deserve to be there all year (i thought myself included, heh). But you'd be damn lucky to find a class easier than econ...the stuff clicked and sunk in right away. But if you want to hang out w/ the hotties, don't act like you're there just for a grade...trust me.

By tim on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

I wanted to do Chem and pre-calc this summer (I'm a sophomore). I'm not doing it do get into harvard though. What do you think? (I got a 730 Chemistry after 1st year chem)

By dxiw on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Chem you should be fairly prepared with the 730 and precalc should be easy if your foundation in alg1+2 is STRONG. I hope you have good stats, I think they accept only the few best 10th graders.

anyways, how are the dorms? is it co-ed by room or by floor or what?

By tim on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

What kind of "stats"...I mean, I have only taken like the PSATs ... and I didn't really worry about them...(69 v/72m/??w...grrr);) But what kind of stats would I need to be accepted? Do you mean grades and class rank?

By Wanksta33 on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:23 am: Edit

To get accepted? I think you need to demonstrate your ability to write a check and that you go to school (oversimplification, but if u have grades above C, ur fine). The dorms are co-ed but separated by floors (in Hollis I saw more girls than I did guys). Like most places, the dorms are hugely varied in quality; my friends got stuck in Canaday, which is a really sad excuse of a dorm. There's a lot of luck involved in your experience, so mine wasn't the same as yours will be.

By Nkemdilim on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 12:02 pm: Edit

No offense, but that summer school load is nothing compared to the MIT MITE2S Program that I was in. We had to endure 35 hrs a week in class, 7 hours of homework a day (except saturdays), and extra recitations for about an hour a day. We had 5 freshman level college courses at a time. It was a killer workload, even for the super-elite academic hotshots at the program. It really humbled me. Ask a question about it if u want to.

By Wanksta33 on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Yeah, I have a question...no wait, I forgot it. Thanks anyway, Nkemdilim :P

By Nkemdilim on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

ok...

By dxiw on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 04:17 pm: Edit

does MIT have a program like that for non minorities? I'm a white boy :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page