Why are my SAT scores so low???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Why are my SAT scores so low???
By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 12:00 pm: Edit

I have a 4.4 GPA but my SAT score is 1160. I took a summer course but that didnt help me. What can I do to improve?

I got:
Math-640
Verbal-520

I know thats bad. I suck at Critical Reading. But it still doesnt make sense. I am top in my school in mathematics but I still get such a poor math score. Even my SAT II MATH IIC, I got a 650. I recently bought 10 Real Sats and I am going to finish that before taking the SAT test again.

By benafleck on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 12:34 pm: Edit

One thing I'd say is that the sat test is a tricky test. Some ppl know how to take standardized tests so they do well. If you are taking the test again here:
1. Relax
2. Don't think you know everything and rush
3. Look to see if your answer makes sense
4. Take three deep breaths if you feel anxious.
5. Think twice
that's it.

By incognito on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 12:52 pm: Edit

First of all, Jason, you should not be posting this message about the SAT HERE. It shoulb be on the message board about preparing for the SATs and ACTs, not "What are my Chances." You would get more responses on the other one.

As for your SATs. Heres what I did to bring my score from a 1060 to a 1320:

Math
---Review basic and simple math concepts using good SAT Prep books (Grubers has a good math preping section).
---Take a few practice tests, and get to learn the style of the questions. You can be an excelent math student, and still do poorly on the SAT math section. The reason is that it doesnt actually test your math knowledge, necessarirly. It tetst your math SKILLS and reasoning.

Verbal
---You should DEFINATELY study a vocab list. My personal favourite is Barrons. After memorizing Barron's 3500 word list, it learned other lists as well (like Grubers 3400 and Kaplans 2200). One you memorize vocab, you are all good on the scentence completion (i got all of them right) and analogies (i only got 2 wrong).
---As for critical reading, i am in no place to give you advice, because i got half (20/40) of the critical reading scores wrong (which accounts for my 1320). However, I hear that reading lots of "college level reading material" can enhance your reading capability.

If anybody else out there has advice for Jason and I on improving our Critical Reading scores, please post it here. Or e-mail me.

Good luck

incognito
i_needsathelp@yahoo.com

By Noto on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 01:05 pm: Edit

dont listen to incognito. This is the forum where most ppl go..incognito is a pompous know-it-all.

By sid mathur on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

I took the princeton review advice and didn't read the passage and just used it as an open book test and my critical reading really improved a lot. (from 50 percentile to 85 percentile)

By incognito on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Noto, what are you talking about i am a "pompous know-it-all"?!?! I jost tole you ppl that I got half of the crit reading wrong! Then i asked for ADVICE, which you have clearly failed to provide. If your going to post a message, it really coulnt hurt to leave advice that was requested! That is why we post qs and as!!

Also, the SAT/ACT forum would be much better. If you dont beleive me, take a look at the discussions there.

By JerseyGirl on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Jason, Princeton Review offers a course that guarantees a 1400+. They only have it in certain areas though. You can check it out on their website.

By SD on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

He obviously canít take that course. It requires an SAT score of a 1250 prior to the class. You didnít think they just let ANYONE in and guarantee them a 1400, did you??

By dfg on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Incognito- You said you pulled it up from a 1060 to a 15something in another thread. What the hell?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 06:39 pm: Edit

dfg:

check the SAT/ACT board under the topic "Flash Cards." That tells a lots of incognito's secrets to the SAT.

By um...no on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 07:52 pm: Edit

PReview brought my score from a 1200 (620m 580v) to a 1440 (700m 740v).

By incognito on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 07:56 pm: Edit

dfg, my 1530 was in reference to the November 1995 SAT in the book. A 1320 is in reference to a recent November test. Noto, here told me that my 1530 is not legitimate because it was for a real practice set.

By incognito on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 07:56 pm: Edit

either way...it doesnt matter, because my crit reading sucked in both tests

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page