NYU Sterns

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: NYU Sterns
By Steve on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

I believe that NYU Sterns has a slightly harder admissions policy, so here is the post for NYU Sterns applicants. I believe that Sterns is the ideal school for me in terms of college lifestyles, demographics and majors (I want to double major in Finance and International Finance). My stats are as follows, please help me get a range of how I fit in with the rest of the pool? (I would appreciate it if you could put down your qualifications as well or where you got your information from.)

92 Unweighted average with a 101 Weighted Average(22 out of 170)
Taking the most difficult curriculum possible at my school
SATs- 750 English, 800 Verbal
SAT IIs - 800 Math IIC, 790 Writing, 720 Chem/Bio
APs- 5 on Chem, 5 on Eng, 4 on Micro/Macroecon, 4 on Psych, 3 on US/Euro History
LSATs - (took them for fun, don't ask) 162
Self-taught myself AP Econ and AP Psych, Educational Psych and Philosophy, Developmental and Psycholinguistics
Vice President and Treasurer of Key Club
Guest speaker on television for AIDs Peer Educator
My essay is about teaching a 6th grader Calculus
Some work experience at my mother's store
Asian
5'7 and 160 pounds???
Piano player; varsity chorus
A bunch of random Math and Science awards
Umm ... also spent a summer at Harvard and Cornell with a A/B- at Harvard and a A- at Cornell.
Also, they don't look at midyear reports, but my grades are down to like ... an average of an 87 range. =(

Some people are saying Sterns is a reach, cause it's the second best Finance school in the country. Some people say it's a safety cause it's NYU. I'm confused. I don't know. Please help. I'm losing sleep and drinking cause of this. Thank you so much for your help. Also, if you know anybody that sells drugs, I would appreciate their number, as I am currently majorly freaking out.

By playa,pimp,hustla on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

Look buddy, you're in at NYU. If your essay is decent you're a lock. Heck, you might even get a scholarship. I'd go for UPenn-Wharton if I were you. Your stats are more in their range. And it's STERN, not STERNS.

By Steven Wu on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 01:20 am: Edit

But I wanna major in Finance/International Finance and Stern's is number 2 for both of them. Besides, I like the location and the demographics of Stern's more. You really think my chances are that good? Can someone else offer a second opinion???

By Steve Wu on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 01:42 am: Edit

Can someone who got into Sterns (or the other schools ED) tell me what their stats are?

By Nyrules (Nyrules) on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 01:47 am: Edit

To be honest, I wouldn't say you're definitely in but it seems like you have a pretty good chance. The only 3 things that may hold you back are your lack of work experience, drop in grades, and school reputation. I'm not an admissions officer but from the people I've seen who were accepted to Stern it looks like you have about a 75% chance. I also applied and I only scored a 1420 on my sat and a 3.6 uw gpa at a tough private school.
Stern is considered to be much tougher to get accepted to than NYU arts and sciences undergrad but you still seem to have a good shot. I would have to agree though that you should have applied to Wharton as well because you would have had a pretty good chance there too and it's an amazing school. However, it's your choice.

By Steve on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 07:13 am: Edit

I did apply to Wharton.

By Steve on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Also, the drop in grades, I hope NYU doesn't see cause it happened senior year. I also tutored people for SATs and General tutoring (which makes sense, cause why would I work a job that pays 15 bucks an hour when I can have people drive up to my house to give me 50 an hour) to add to my work experience. I'm also a Charter member of the philosophy club and got a 101 on my AMSC thing. Help!!! =****(

By newb on Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Haha.. I say you have a pretty good chance. I applied to Stern as well! I had lower stats than you, so does that make you feel better? Geez, why are you so nervous about getting in or not? I agree with you about liking the demographics (it's in NY baybee!) ESPECIALLY for finance. By any chance, is your career goal to become an investment banker?

By Steve on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 01:19 pm: Edit

bump

By Help Please??? on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

bump

By sdfsd on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 02:31 am: Edit

the real problem is that those business programs look for evidence of entrepreneurship.

Sure, you need good grades, scores and some ECs, but if you have any experience with business, you are in for sure.

Last year, a kid in my school had mediocre everything, but he ran an internet banner exchange service that generates about 1000 bucks a month. He got into Wharton.

By Steve on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

That's what I heard. Blahhhh.... That sucks.

By fwoeij on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 04:29 pm: Edit

how do you get a 750 english and 800 verbal? hmm... which one is math

By Steve on Monday, January 27, 2003 - 04:32 pm: Edit

800 is math. sorry.

By A concerned soul on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 02:50 am: Edit

Hey dude,
Don't do drugs just because youre stressed about college. This could lead to addiction and then you would have more things to worry about than getting rejected from colleges. There are plenty of other options that reduce stress. Get a girlfriend or take up a sport or something.

By Steve on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Nawh. I'm just playing, but I'm seriously very nervous. Is it true that my chances are THAT much diminished if I haven't run a successful business??? Damnit!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page