Admission to canada

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Admission to canada
By Geezy (Geezy) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 12:05 am: Edit

Hi,
I am an international student applying to University of Toronto, University of Waterloo & Carleton University, together. I just submitted the online application, and dont have a clue what to do next. I just read the online information, and understood nothuin of it. I just understood that its deadline is 1st feb. Can anyone please tell does it have to be postmarked by then or received by them before that. Please also tell me about university of Waterloo & Carleton University, if u can. I have help from nobody. Please do help me.

By lost2 on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

omg, same here. i've been so frustrated because none of the information available thru their website (Toronto) makes any sense. i'm so lost. i suggest that you call them up and send them an e-mail. i'm gonna do that myself. good luck

By freshmanatuoft on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 03:01 pm: Edit

hey, im into my second semester at u of toronto and its great! i applied thru the OUAC like u guys probably did and they contacted me themselves within 2 months. give u TOEFL and sit tight. it isn't too late. but if ure not contacted by may or june, start worrying!
g'luck

By helpme on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 01:11 am: Edit

freshmanatuoft,

what were your credentials? i really wanna go there, but i don't really know what they look for. and are u an international student? i'm applying from California and i'm just so confused about their application procedures. please help me!!

By Sabzevarian (Sabzevarian) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 02:36 am: Edit

list your stats (I'm a Canadian student)

By freshmanatuoft on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 08:55 am: Edit

i'm an international student and we studied the british schooling system, i.e we had to give our G.C.E "O" Level (Grades 10 and 11) and G.C.E "A" Level (Grades 12 and 13) examinations. U of T takes you in if you pass atleast 5 O levels with a minimum of C grade. They then give u an offer while u are appearing for your A level examinations, in the same way british universities give offers. If you meet that offer, you're in :) mine was to get 2 B's and a C in my three A Level exams and i got an A and two B's. And my O level grades were 3 A's and 3 B's. so i got in! oh yeah and i also had to give my TOEFL, got 270 outta 300 in that. My friend lived in Atlanta and she got in by sendin her high school transcripts and im not sure if she sent in her SAT's or TOEFL.
Any further queries?

By heretoo on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 04:36 pm: Edit

freshman,

how's the campus? the classes? the people? Toronto? Residential life?

please tell me as i'm applying there also. thanks.

By z on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

everyone, stay in your respective countries. right now, ontario is going through a double cohort, whereby two grades are graduating in one year. this is due to our current system where we have a GRADE 13! We are relieving students of this extra year of burden, so 13s and 12s are graduating this year.

There is probably no room for all of us, and there will be less room of internationals!

- STAY IN CALIFORNIA, ILL SWAP WITH YOU BUDDY -

next year, there will probably be flood over, so ontario is probably not your best shot!

anyways, hehe I bet the univs will curse me for this, but its true!

By sux on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

"z"

Is it only in Ontario? or all of Canada? this sux

By sodamnlost on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 03:18 am: Edit

Please anyone help me!! I just submitted my OUAC application for Toronto U and I don't know what to do next!! I don't know if there're more applications to fill out because it seems too abbreviated; it doesn't ask for scores or whatever else that's essential for admission selection. Anyone please tell me if i'm on the right track. Did i do all that i needed to? i'm so lost.............any suggestions would be tremendously appreciated.

By k on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 03:45 am: Edit

Only in Onatario, the province i come from, as far as i can remember, don't have a grade 13.

z, from what you're saying. I can say that the tuition might go up so that they can better teach the extra students, or change the average you need to get into. So yeah, it just means getting in would be harder. But don't worry, Ontario schools have an inflation problem, if you go anywhere else in Canada (Alberta or BC) the students have a lesser grade but a are lot smarter (this is HS only). So if your average sucks, it's not necessarily because you're not as good as the Ontario students. I actually know people from Ontario who moved to Alberta; this kid in particular is getting whipped academically. He used to take AP courses, but still he can't handle my schools IB courses (so if you're getting under the college average, remember that most U of T people are Ontario residents). Anywho, just apply anyways, the U of T attracts a lot of bright students across the globe, if you get in you'll just join the club.

By freshmanatuoft on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 03:51 am: Edit

i'd agree with the fact that if ure in california, stay there. but if ure an international student like me, come to toronto! it rocks, the campus is BIG and lotsa new students keep coming in. as for the amount of people they're taking in, i think this year they took more asians in than any american school. studies are great, lifes good! :)

By z on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 09:01 pm: Edit

sodamnlost:
well the ontario system is tightly knit, so our schools take care of everything like sending the grades, etc.

id suggest you manually send in your grades -- thats most important. they'll send you essay questions later.

yes, its just ontario!

By z on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

okay ppl, i think i should help my local univ.

good luck with this

http://www.library.utoronto.ca/admissions/international.html

By sodamnlost on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

"z"

if you don't mind, please tell me what kind of essay questions they are and how many of them. i guess i'll only send my transcript, which has my SAT, ACT, AP, and SAT2 scores. thanks a bunch.

By sodamnlost on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

and i don't know where to send my transcript... anyone please help me...i couldn't find anything except the general university address...

By sodamnlost on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

"freshman"
what are the housing procedures? thanks.

By z on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 11:46 pm: Edit

sdl, sure i can give you essay questions, however i dont know what program you have applied to, so it may not be the ones you were assigned.

for me, cs at trinity, i got two essays (500 word max ea)
1) write some stuff about yourself, experiences, etc.. standard
2) if you could claim responsibility for an invention throughout history, what would it be - why.. it must be a real invention

a freind of mine applied electrical engineering, he got

state why you wnat to go to ut. (150 word max)

so you see the difference.

keep looking around the site, ill see if i can dig something up. good luck

By Sabzevarian (Sabzevarian) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

"There is probably no room for all of us, and there will be less room of internationals!"

There's room for deserving students. Universities weren't made to take in everyone.

I'm applying there from BC. I think their application system sucks. It cost me $230 dollars for the work of $10, as they probably have a built in computer admission formula that will accept me (as it probably gives the OK to anyone with over 90% and 2 or more extracurriculars, and then people with lower grades might actually recieve attention for these extra "service" charges)

My first choice is Toronto's Engineering Science program, so maybe I'll see some of you there next year.

By dontknow on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 04:55 pm: Edit

"Sabz"

what do you mean by "with over 90%?" I don't really understand that kind of scale. is it like 3.6-4.0 GPA?

By sodamnlost on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 04:57 pm: Edit

"z"

thanks a lot. i applied to Arts and Letters. how hard is it to get in anyway?

By l on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

dontknow, depends on the course and where you live.

In alberta, an 85% is a 4.0, in ontario i think you need a 90% (depending on the provincial curriculum i think). In BC, it would be a 4.0 i guess. The regular school curriculum in Alberta is EXACTLY the same as the AP program for the sciences, english and math. So AP is BS. An 85% in AP and in the regular program is looked at as the same in the University of Alberta. Only in USA where the educational system differs so much by state and in quality that they need AP.

By Faisal (Faisal) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 12:54 pm: Edit

I have done my M.com and i want to get admission in university of toronto canada.please guide me.tell me the procedure and requirements if i want to get admission in hottle management or any other course which is affordable.thank u

By Metalgear52 (Metalgear52) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 03:30 pm: Edit

will this flood of double graduates affect fall 2003 or fall 2004, which one were you guys talking about

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page