Chances at Cornell and the other Ivies? MIT and Stanford too

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Chances at Cornell and the other Ivies? MIT and Stanford too
By dxiw on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 10:45 pm: Edit

SAT 1450 (800m 650v) retaking in April
SAT2 Math2c 800 Chemistry 720 Physics ?? Writing ??
gpa 3.85/4 uw, weighted 4.41 (#1 is 4.6) rank 12/270 rank is weighted...(most ppl ahead of me have take dumb courses like honors band and still get the same 5 points as diff eq, makes me mad...I have the best gpa for my classes)
Toughest courseload, diff equations, mutlivariable calculus
national merit commended (missed finalist by 1 point :()
14 ap's mostly 4 and 5's (one 3 and one 2, meh)
started my own company for PC, I have 5 employees
run a popular PC website, http://bluelightpc.com/
built nationally known ROTC website
2000+ hours of comm service
all officer in clubs
passion for unique things like underwater photo and r/c airplanes, both of which very good at
played 3 varsity sports
did research on oral bacteria
worked at a medical office for 3 years (mostly volunteer)
assisted doctors in hospital..
academic excellence awards in all my classes
goto toughest school in my city
lots and lots of awards from little things like math club, sports, calculus, nerd of the week, bla bla
two 1st places at science fair
brought technology to ROTC, built them many pc's and wrote software for their databases, also made a webpage which I have had colonels come from around the country to talk to me about.
one of the top marksmen in my city
on my own time i domany sports / unique hobbies
recieved national ROTC award in leadership
I am in charge of 100+ ppl in ROTC.
a bunch of old crap like Duke TIP (got 1170)
participating in intel talent search, have project mostly done..
and I skipped 2 grades in school, applying to college at age 15 and entering at 16.
designed websites for several large companies...
active part of junior statesmen of america
leader in several youth groups
doing Varsity golf, varsity swimming and JV tennis with school now...
oh yea, and I'm head of the IT department at a medical company..
race: white
and I'm a junior I'm planning to go to harvard ssp(summer thing) and get 2 A's :)

do i have a good chance at cornell and some of the other ivies?

By meqleth1024 on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Your age might be an issue.
Ivies and many other schools like Stanford, MIT don't like accepting younger students because it would be socially akward for those younger students. They may not think that you have the maturity of other students that are applying.

If you really want to apply early you need to have a talk with the admissions officers at all the schools you want to apply to and ask them about their policies. Sometimes these schools make exceptions, but those are usually for stellar applicants with 1600s or some Intel/Westinghouse winners.

Your SATs/GPA are decent and your extracurriculars are great. You have a shot at any school you apply to, but I think the age thing will hurt you.

Good luck.

By meqleth1024 on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

wait.. how are you national merit commended if you are a junior?

By dxiw on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

well I know the cut-off is around 200 and I got a 212. So I am gonna be commended for sure, unfortunatly the cutoff for nat merit this year will be 213-215, which makes me lose the damn nat merit.

about my age, I am very mature, I have many friend that are juniors and seniors and even some in college. My body is fully adult and my mind is there too, I find that the freshman who are my age are very immature and annoying. If I am mature for my age, I don't see how it could hurt me. I could have skipped 4 grades but I stopped at 2 because I was trying to avoid being to young, but really the age isn't an issue for me. I am pretty popular at my school, and no one really finds me annoying. Really, I am not applying early. I will be a senior like everyone else, what am I supposed to repeat senior year 3 times now??? Honestly, I think after the interview they will realize I am pretty mature. I mean my last girlfriend was 17. I am really accustomed to hanging out with ppl 2-3 years older than me. Its not like I'm a geeky little nerd boy.

By dxiw on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

If I was immature do you think that the 100 or so ppl I am over in ROTC would listen to me being that 80 of them are older than me. And also, for my company I am the owner/head and I am the youngest. My employees are 17,17,23,18,16.

By apple on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

i'm really sorry but from your words I really just think u r the little nerd boy seated at a corner playing with paper planes

By dxiw on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:33 pm: Edit

LOL, paper airplanes, LMAO.... I can send you a pic if you want man, I'm not some geek.

By pear on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 11:43 pm: Edit

btw, aren't u the guy taking AP statistics this year?

By dxiw on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 04:54 pm: Edit

nah I'm taking AP Stat, AP Lit, AP Physics C Mech, AP Physics C E&M, AP Gov&Eco,AP World Hist,AP Biology senior year. As far as the math this year I'll be done with everything and I've always thought stat was kinda interesting and would help me in college so I decided to take it senior year.

By apple on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

send me your pic then I dont believe you

By haha on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

run a popular PC website, http://bluelightpc.com/

popular is not defined as 23 members.

By dxiw on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:40 pm: Edit

haha - I was on a different name, but when I switched hosts only 2 weeks ago I lost the database. So people have been rejoining, I originally had 100+. And many people come by to read and don't join, I have logs of visitors and I get plenty daily. Also, some people come just for the homepage and not to chat in the forums... anyways, to prove my traffic, there is a website called www.alexa.com where every site on the internet is ranked by traffic. My average rank for this week is about ~50000, just to give you a comparison, the average rank for this site is around ~93000. Also, if you look my rank keeps getting better and better as more people are coming over to the site, so before you hate, investigate, lol. Also, if I wasn't popular how would you explain that I get on average 1-3 things a week for review from companies? hmm?

apple - Are you gay or something?

By grow up on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

>>started my own company for PC, I have 5 employees run a popular PC website, http://bluelightpc.com/

Man, if you call an AWFULLY looking website a COMPANY, and a couple of friends contributing to it -- employees, the colleges are going to laugh their asses out at you. That's ridiculous. FYI, I run several websites with thousands of members, and I have a "staff" of around 100 ppl and I don't even consider it a business, let alone a company. I am doing it for the community. And you consider your site is popular based on Alexa Web Search analysis? No comment. And you using Homepage Studio? BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHH!

>designed websites for several large companies...

Considering your lame design skills, I really don't want to take a look at these websites..

>>oh yea, and I'm head of the IT department at a medical company..

IT Department -- how prestigious. LOL

grow up.
\

By dxiw on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

dude, I wrote that layout in less than an hour, I told you I lost my •••• when I transferred. I know how to make a professional site, I just haven't had the time to work on my layout since I switched. I only know one of the guys on my "staff" as a friend, the rest I hired on qualifications.

head of IT department, I am. I build many computers and have written atleast 10 applications for them. I am in charge of all the computer stuff and in charge of several real employees that get paid by this company.

And no I don't use homepage studio LOL. I usually write all my sites in PHP or javascript from scratch. Anyways, were getting off topic argueing about the website.

As I said, this is only a preliminary thing until I get my real layout back, and my member count will be rising as soon as old people start to come to the new domain. Dude, get a life and stop criticizing other peoples websites.

By the way, give me a link to one of your sites...

Anyways, I clearly asked one question, how are my stats looking for these colleges?

By nyguy on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

well they are good once its clear your not lying about he website stuff. show us your rotc website. or maybe code up a little javascript for college confidential thatll impress everyone

i wanna see examples of this computer mastery

By nyguy on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

ok we got the pic here
http://bluelightpc.com/david.gif
and if you count moderators as workers i pity you. what do you pay them in? donuts? lol dude your exagerating i notice. you better hope no admissions officers check your bustling company because they will quickly find your lacking in design skill and very good at talking up a small operation up. the guys over at gotapex.com run a decent site that actually makes money. its similar to yours, but better. had you run that and described it as a side income id say your fine. but your nearly blatantly lying. oh yeah you look like a nerd i bet yuor girlfriend is ugly

By slqgefv on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

quote: dude, I *wrote* that layout in less than an hour

No comment.

By R on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:33 pm: Edit

you probably don't use Homepage Studio, but i clearly see that you are using FrontPage, and dude this is not a program for building professional websites.

By curious on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 12:00 am: Edit

what exactly do your "employees" do?

By dxiw on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 02:02 am: Edit

Well I did exagerrate a bit. I have been working with several sites for a while and I started this one just about 2weeks-1month ago and I wrote up some code. Then I had to make small editations so popped open Frontpage and it added its stupid tags and thats why you see them on almost every page. Anyways, its a work in progress, I am slowly transforming it into a a nice professional site, its just I haven't had the time to sit down and write a nice layout. And yes, lol, I exaggerated a bit on the employee thing, they are moderators not employees. Right now my site is non-profit aimed to help the computers/sci-tech community. I have been getting a lot of review stuff and writing reviews, eventually when I have a lot of stuff I may start selling it (if the companies approve of course).

Anyways, maybe in the future I will make it a "company" for profit, now I'm still working on building it. As for the ROTC site, they wanted me to do the layout like its on the site with the music so don't say anything about it...the link is: http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/dunbarjrotc/enter.html
yea, I know, angelfire, I was gonna get hosting but they are being cheap as hell.

nyguy - I was 13 in that pic on a vacation, lol. I am a lot bigger now, when I get sometime I will upload a new pic. And right now my site is a project, eventually it will be side income. About me and my girlfriend, yes I look very nerdy in that pic and so does most of the staff, I will get a better pic soon. For my girlfriend, I love her and she is pretty good looking, not some super model, but I'm not some shallow ••••••• who wants a retarded supermodel g/f who I can't even hold a convo with.

Anyways, I'd be cool if some of you all joined up on my site, I can always use more people.

By Honors Band on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 02:19 am: Edit

Dxiw, honors band is NOT dumb...it requires a lot of practice. Frankly, differential equations might be easier...(high school math is just really easy...)

By nyguy on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

dude you exagerated a lot. everything I see is basic and lacks any real skill. From your stats you get the idea your a true guru. your work leaves much to be desired. maybe you should focus on interests that you dont suck at?
oh well good luck anyway

By dxiw on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

haha I bet it does at your school, but trust me, at my school, whew, its a complete joke. Anyways, what about Honors Keyboarding?? lol, yes its true. I just don't like how honors english 1 is worth as much as AP Lit....Lit you work your ass off and english 1 you can bs your way through with ez 100

By : on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Don't make fun of other classes just because you do not rank 1st in your grade.

By :o on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

yeah buddy your work isn't exactly top-notch...

By haha on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

you sound very arrogant. even if your credentials are "most excellent) which I don't think they are... but even if they were, I hope you don't get in anywhere just because of your •••••• attitude. your essays and interview will probably reflect that anyway and i just hope the admissions officers have .000000001% common sense to see through all your ••••••••. good luck, dwix.

By z on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

it looks great on paper, but its probably all parent produced. i bet your parents started you out on a whole bunch of that stuff.

colleges like when a student is vested in a particular interest. you go from military jobs, to making airplanes to making software.. all great, but theres no solid picture of you.

what kid does 2000 hrs of comm serv.. 3 straight months worth of time? bollocks.

By dxiw on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

My god people. Stop assuming, first of all I am sounding arrogant on here, but I'm not going to do it on a college applications or essay. Its not like I'm some ignoramus. Also, my stuff is very little parent produced, I have gotten exposed to a lot of these things when I was young or saw an ad, etc and I decided to try it out. Turns out I liked it and kept it up. I have worked hard to be able to participate in sports and do those unique things for as cheap as possible. I've been doing community service since I was a little 6th grader. I have a long list of places I have done it at to include libraries, churches, synagogues, stores, peoples house, etc. Also, I have worked fully volunteer for 3 years including many hours on weekends at a medical company and at a hospital. Unlike some of the liars here, I am not bullshitting my community service.

I understand my SAT is a little low and I am working to take it again and score higher, but my god whats wrong with some of your people. I've seen retards get nicer remarks. True, my work may not be perfect perfect, but I am one of the best in my school and when compared to many of my friends I would look really smart. I have done a lot of work trying to find oppurtunities to do research and to take hard classes. At my school I am considered in the top, as a matter of fact I have the second highest SAT score in my grade. Don't tell me that I shouldn't make fun of other classes, cause I know 2 girls in like rank 3 and 4 who are working to break an 1150 on the SAT, which IMO is plain sad. I made a friggin 1160 in 7th grade without studying lol.

z - about the picture thing, I agree with you however I am really interested in a lot of things and I try to go after them as much as possible. If I really work on a lot of interests isn't it just as good as one? I mean colleges look for unique people and diversity that are also smart, and I think that I have a lot of unique things. I am not one of those people who "joins the science club" and shows up to 2 meetings a year. I sell lots of things to help raise money for them, I scheduled an out of state trip that we are going on, I really help promote the scientific atmosphere.

haha - I'm not trying to be arrogant or whatever, I am simply stating my stuff. Its not like I'm gonna write like this on a college app, lol. What your telling me is really rude and innappropriate, we are all here to support each other and not be complete ••••••••, to people who may have atleast some chance. Even if they don't being a complete ••••••• is just plain wrong and inhumane. From your post I can tell that 1) you are an idiot (can't even spell my name and full of typoes) and that 2) your are rude and have a bad attitude. Wishing for someone not to get in is plain mean and unnecessary. If you have some anger to take out why don't you step back from your pc and hit yourself in the head or do something an ignoramus like you would do.

As for the people that gave me good responses, I thank you very much and appreciate your reading my posts. As for the insulting and demeaning posters please keep your comments to yourself. If I wanted to get flamed I would ahve posted "Im gay, do you think I'm sexy?", but I didn't. So just leave.

By dxiw on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 07:52 pm: Edit

as far as the gpa is concerned I am the only junior ever to take ODE, Calc BC or have the rank I have in ROTC. I have also maintained a 97+ average this year, for this junior year alone I am perfect on gpa, the only reason I am not like 1 or 2 is because freshman year I got several 90's and in my school a 90 is a B for your gpa. And BTW the ranks are really really close, aka, 0.005 apart.

By haha on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

your post wasn't titled, "everyone, kiss my ass."
if i'm not mistaken, it began as "chances at cornell...?"
looks like someone doesn't know how to take criticism. if you're only looking for "compliments" (which are undeserved, for the most part), change the title of your post to "everyone, come kiss my ass." not, "chances at cornell...?"
so what was your point in posting this stuff if you didn't want people to evaluate your chances? does the truth really hurt that much?
btw, if you're gonna measure intelligence by amount of typos on a forum (another display of your extreme stupidity and immaturity), know when to use "your" vs. "you're."
dumbass.

By Ares15 (Ares15) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 08:01 pm: Edit

You're not going to get into any Ivy, Stanford, or MIT. Your application shows absolutely no focus or depth. You have a number of scattered hobbies that you exagerrate and colleges will see through you like a window. Perhaps a community college will accept you. Perhaps...

By z on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

dxiw, whats your favorite video game?

By dxiw on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Well I haven't been playing too much lately lots of busy work and all. I like some racing games and FPS's. I also like GTA3. I think its pretty cool, maybe I'll buy a copy of Vice City when it gets ported to PC.

Anyways, back to the college issue. I can take some criticism, all I am saying is that I want a response that points out my weakness and pros and tells me what to improve on. I am a junior and I have time to work.

Also, Ares15, how many things should I really focus on? just 1? I have been really focused in the medical thing. Countless hours of work at medical office and hospital. Also some medical research and internships with several doctors. I kind of just listed the rest as hobbies. Really I have 3 focus's, 1) the whole medical thing and 2) computing (programming) and 3) make ROTC better by the day. I think the fact that I joined the ROTC and really changed a lot and brought interest to computers shows that I'm not just a participant but an agent of change. You think that by listing all my hobbies and other activities it will hurt me? As far as sports, I work really hard in Golf and weight-lifting. Like a good dedicated 2 hours to it. And about getting into a CC, thats a bit harsh to say considering I am automatically in at any Texas public university (top 10% of class at all minority school). I think with a nice essay and showing my passion for those few things I just listed it well look ok on my app.

By snoopy on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

tenisghs is a dumbf-ck. i liked your other post on "the white mind on AA"

By dxiw on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

thanks

By 1001001 (1001001) on Friday, June 06, 2003 - 04:27 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page