Anyone doing Harvard Summer?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Anyone doing Harvard Summer?
By megan on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

anyone already enrolled in the harvard summer program?

By ABC on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

I might enroll. Is it true what everyone says that you don't have to qualify for the program, but rather just pay for it?

By megan on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

um, i don't know. they said they only admit/enroll like a 1,000 students. i am taking out a student loan to go. i will be a college freshman btw. but they offer multivar calc and diff eqs concurrently. so, that would DEFINITELY help as an engineering major. you can transfer the credits to most institutions.

By dxiw on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

I'm applying, however, I was curious if there was a list of the institutions that recognize the credit and the ones that don't. I am thinking about taking Economics (macro and micro). I love math, but I'm already taking multivariable calc/dif eq this year in hs..

By megan on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:02 pm: Edit

dwix:
my school doesn't offer multivar/diff eqs...our math (academic programs in general) are not very promoted at all. pending successful completion of your coursework, you are awarded a certificate (i am pretty sure) and an official transcript listing your coursework and official grades. these credits can be transferred to other institutions depending on their policies (like a transfer student). you can check their webpages for more information on transferring credits.

By Awsdcsw11 (Awsdcsw11) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 03:47 pm: Edit

where can you find information about the summer programs at harvard?

By ol on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 04:07 pm: Edit

from relative sources.

By megan on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 05:06 pm: Edit

www.ssp.harvard.edu

By megan on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

has anyone sent in their application yet? if so, how long did it take to get your decision letter? how selective is the program?

By wa on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

4-6 months

By wa on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

very selective

By megan on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

wa:
please do not insult my intelligence by suggesting such inanities. i know, through the harvard ssp website, that admissions decisions are mailed out approximately a week after receiving all materials. i just wanted to hear personal experiences.

By SSPer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

I went to harvard ssp last summer. Took Linear Alg/Diff Eq. and a Lit class on Joyce's Ulysses (for fun, turned out to be MUCH better than the Lin. Alg. class). Very good experience, very worth it. Few tips:

Restaurants -Sushi Express on Beacon Street. Any Legal Seafoods. Barking Crab Seafood. Also, cafe adventura in the square (cheap, delicious pizza.)

Fun - Red sox game, faneiul (sic) hall, check out the harvard grad school buildings

And don't forget to visit all your favorite elite colleges (MIT, Harvard, there's trips to Yale and Princeton, etc). Oh, also, Bartleby's Burger Cottage.

Apply early so you don' have to get crammed into one of Wigglesworth A - K (or J?), small rooms. Get into Weld or another nice residence hall. Get to know your profs, you could get a recommendation or even do research. Otherwise all I can say is make the most of an exciting summer in Cambridge/Boston. I did, and I had the best summer of my life (and I made some really good friends too).

By go on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

I hear d u lived in the postoffice. Very nice...

By megan on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 08:59 am: Edit

there's this one burger place right next to the harvard book store in harvard square...omg...their burgers are TO DIE FOR. they are sooooo good. i went to mit for an, uh, unofficial visit....hehehe...;) made some really good friends there too. but, thanks SSPer, finally, someone who speaks highly of the hu ssp!!

By megan on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 09:01 am: Edit

o btw-SSPer:
when harvard mailed their housing/registration packet, did you get to choose which house you wanted to live in?

By jeremy on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 09:37 am: Edit

EVERYONE!! i had 2 friends who went to harvard summer college last year, and they DID NOT like it...however, i went to cornell summer college, and it was by far the BEST 6 weeks of my life!!! you should definitely look into it

www.summercollege.cornell.edu

By Natep (Natep) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 11:51 am: Edit

I suggest you like into Brown's Summer Program. Cornell's summer program is too structured with curfew. Harvard and Brown's programs are very similar. You meet alot of cool people. I went there for 2 years, awesome time

By megan on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

i was accepted to brown's program last year, but because of family issues, was not able to go. are the summer programs really just based on enrolling-not much to the admissions process (not v. selective??)

By bump on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:56 pm: Edit

bump

By megan on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 02:58 pm: Edit

for those who took multivar/diff eq's:
did you have to take a placement test? i know for lower levels of math/calculus, harvard required a placement test, but not for multivar and higher. just wanted to check...

By bump on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

bump

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Hey all, I've got the admissions forms sitting in front of me as I type. There are so many questions floating around in my head right now:

The personal: How will I stand being away from home for so long? Will I get in? Can I handle the coursework?

The inane: Is there a bowling alley near by? Can I do laundry? What Simpsons items (I collect Simpsons memorablia, lol) should I bring?

But I guess it's just que sera sera for me, I'm fairly confident I can get in from what I've read- good grades, recs, unique ec's (again, bowling :) ). Courses- hey, if I can't handle the work, I shouldn't go to Harvard.

As for courses, can anyone help me out here? I'll know more when I get the book (assuming I'm accepted), but right now, I'm almost positive I'll be taking Calculus II, because then I can jump ahead a year in math at my HS. After that, I'm not sure. Maybe another Calc class? How are the econ classes- math oriented or common sense stuff? Or should I just go nuts and take a completely random class like Computer Science or Italian? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page