Any Chance at Upenn?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Any Chance at Upenn?
By g-money on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

SAT1-1480, 4.95(weighted, system is gay)....SAT2 average 700....classes in junior year...

ap calc bc-4
ap us history 1-4
ap governemnt and politics-4

ap classes this year
ap stats, ap chem, ap english, ap spanish, ap comp sci.

Everything else
..model un treasurer....model congress....fbla membr...academic team prez...esl mentor...natl honor society..spanish honor society...volunteer 100+ hours...indian classical dance 3 years....tae kwon do-8 years....spring and winter track..varsity 12th grade...

attended penn summer science academy...

mun award-honorable delegate
some karate awards

do i have any chance at upenn or nyu or anyhting good? what else wud i have to do?

By g-money on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

..ranks 6/746

By mm on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

take more Aps, retake the ones u got 4 on.

By admissions_officer on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:13 pm: Edit

i'm sorry, you're just too damn stereotypical. BREAK OUT OF THE BOX!!!!!

By g-money on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

what box?

By admissions_officer on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

the box that dictates the ultimate guidelines that every potential harvard, et al, applicant must achieve in order to even be considered for admission. as you can guess, this is obviously ••••••••...otherwise you wouldn't see little "carlos" in harvard next fall with an 1150 and a 550 (or something) writing score. colleges look for diversity. if they wanted everyone with 1600s and such, campuses would be full of monotony...everyone with pocket protectors and wearable pencil cases...i'm sorry, but as an admissions officer, i just don't want a freshman, or better yet, ANY class like that. do you?

By g-money on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

i dont have a pocket protector...i dunt even know what that is.

like give me an example of what you mean by diverse...

do u mean like diverse..or genuine...or like real....

cuz ur being kinda vague.

By admissions_officer on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

pocket protector: n. plastic apparatus that fits ingeniously inside front shirt pocket (hence the name) and protects against unsightly ball-point pen marks. without this handy dandy jewel of a find, you will look heinous and dotted with pen pricks. and as for not having one-GET ONE. that's my advice. i don't leave home without mine. and by diverse-i mean not being the bookworm that everyone pictures the minute someone says harvard, et al. being a smart jock definitely helps, especially if you agree to play a sport for the university. just not the stereotypical book geek.

By g-money on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

i dont keep my pens in my pocket by the way. if that matters.

well i did 3 sprt type things i mean, karate, track, adn dance.. i dont think thats too bad personaly.

By admissions_officer on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

well, there are other factors considered in admission. how was your essay? your recommendations? also: demographical biases. are you a urm? male/female? some schools admit based on different quotas that they must fill.
if you don't keep your pens in your pocket...then where do they go??? and i just don't think you are ivy material if you don't even know what a "pocket protector" is.

By GladIDidntDropout on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 07:20 pm: Edit

Do you have a mental problem or something? You're one of the highest ranked students in your class with a GPA to die for and you're whining about even having a chance at these places. I've got some news for you buddy, unless you can get this thing I like to call personality, you're worthless.

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 02:46 am: Edit

g-money has a low intelligence level. ten bucks says he will start a tirade on how we're being mean to him and his class rank shows how much smarter he is than the guy who actually KNEW what a damn pocket protector was, or the poster who suggested he be a little more original.

By ur not going to penn on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 03:23 am: Edit

no, no chance at all

By Smarty on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 08:40 am: Edit

that's not very nice.

I'd say a 50-50 chance with the info you've given.

By admissions_officer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:08 pm: Edit

ok, smarty-pants:
what credentials have you to evaluate this candidate for admission to an ivy league university? are you employed by said university? are you in any way affiliated with the aforementioned university? do you KNOW the dean??? i didn't think so...

By Awsdcsw11 (Awsdcsw11) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

hey i am a high school sophmore, i was wondering what you think about my chances of getting into these schools: villanova, cornell (legacy of dad), Penn (wharton), NYU (stern), wake forest

SAT 1 - 1380
3.8 uw GPA, 4.0 w
no SAT II's yet
will take 5 AP's by graduation
rank 45/275

EC: soccer 8-12, future business leaders of AMerica 10-12, service club 10-12, started/ president of investment club, history club, math club, french club, model UN, and school volunteer.

THANKS

By kathy on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 05:14 pm: Edit

ur not going to penn..why not?

and admissions officer....who the hell are you to be saying what you are?

By lo on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

I'm going to penn, u r not, hahaha! loser! loser! loser! and kathy, u r not either! I agree with admission officer.

By g-money on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 05:31 pm: Edit

agree on what?

By admissions_officer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

ahem...i happen to be an authority on these issues.

and btw-high school soph kid-why are YOU posting here? you're a sophomore!!! i think we can all agree-a bit TOO anxious, eh? slow it down and enjoy your high school years.

By cookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 05:41 pm: Edit

admission officer, i really want to go nyu, my grades are okay, (i was hit my a car my soph. year of high school.) but my sat scores aren't the best, i mean, they really suck. i do a lot of civil rights/multicutural work at my school. it's 85 percent white and 15 percent minority. i'm a urm (african american female) would i be considered boring. i really tried to get a good score on the sat but i don't what happened. i take lots of honors/ap classes. i wrote a "different" essay and come from a low-income family. could i be accpected?

By chokes on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

I agree with admissioner too.

By admissions_officer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

cookie:
the fact that you are a URM will probably factor into your admissions decision...considering that most universities DO implicate a policy of affirmative action. is it fair? in my view, of course not. but we won't go there. i would probably say, depending on what particular school at nyu you applied to, you probably have a decent shot, considering your background and ECs. can you give me some of your demographics? (gpa, class rank, sat scores, etc.)

chokes and lo:
it seems that there may be some signs of intelligent life on this desolate planet.

By Hopeful (Hopeful) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 05:57 pm: Edit

wow, y do u people actually beleive that admission officer is and admission officer? he uses mostly the unsophosticated language of child. an admisisons officer would not be as critical as this kid is. i'm willing to bet that he's not even a senior just some dumb f u c k of a junior who wants to make people feel bad 'cause he himself sucks at school.

By admissions_officer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

Hopeful:
ahem...you are very incorrect in your assumptions. in this harsh reality, we can neither assume nor deny the truth that you have no grounds on which to persecute my authority on this board. if i use the most unsophistocated language on this board, i suppose you are not including your own vocabulary in that generalization? please...just go back to english class and learn some proper, respectful diction?
(this may hurt your chances for admission)

By cookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

thanks for replying admission officer

i'm applying to tisch and i got a 960 on my SAT's
my school doesn't rank and my gpa is about 3.4-3.5
weighted, due to accident, nyu looks at the unweighted with is about 3.0.

By cookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

*which instead of with...

By cookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

plus i play the cello too, eight years...

By cookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

and I do laundry, everyday!

By blondie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

hopeful, i read your essay, it sucked dude, bigtime...

By admissions_officer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:23 pm: Edit

cookie:
i think nyu would appreciate the fact that you do laundry everyday-good hygiene. although, i think that dedicating your time to studying instead might give you a slighter advantage. nyu isn't the *most* competitive university, but it is still a decent school. perhaps if you detailed your accident, and explained the cause for the drop in your grades (if any) and showcased your academic performance prior to the accident, it might help us admissions officers to see the correlation between your real life and your transcript.

By Hopeful (Hopeful) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

alright then admission officer, u r right, i have no grounds on which to deny that u r truthful, but i do not simply beleive what people say on this website. so please give me some proof that u r who u say u r.

as to the question of "diction":
it is not just the words u use, but the tone u speak in, it is very critical and immature. i am not saying i can speak any better, but then again i am not claiming that i am an admission officer.

moreover:
an admission officer is a representative of a colllege, and thus wants to represent the college well....being critical of every1 and makin urself out as an a$$hole, does not shed good light on urself and the school u represent. Also, an admission officer, being an adult, would want to help people not jsut criticize them.

"This may hurt ur chances for admission":
stop being an idiot and throwing out pointless threats, u dont even know which college(s) i am applying to.

an additional comment:
every1 please note how addmision officer changed his language to being sophisticatd after i criticized him. this shows weakness of character, for if he were a true admission officer he would not conform to what i perceive and admissions offcier would be like, for as he stated "you have no grounds on which to persecute my authority on this board." that also makes u seem pretentious, for u have no more authority on this board than any1 else, even less then most because u r a liar and a fraud!

By cookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

i was a B+ student in ninth grade, i kinda' struggled a bit. i'm a hard worker, but i don't get perfect grades or have great sat scores, you know. i really try and i'm a leading at my school, and i want that to show in my application. thanks 4 responing admission officer...

By cookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:34 pm: Edit

*leader

By cookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:35 pm: Edit

as for doing laundries, I really found my faith in it and can't help myself.

By therealcookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

hey, stop using my NAME... that's so immature...

By bree on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

cookie, I like to do laundry as well.

By admissions_officer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:45 pm: Edit

hopeful:
i do not see where at all in this thread i have been overly critical of anyone. i have fairly evaluated cookie to the best of my ability, being that i am sitting behind my laptop screen and not in front of her application. no where in this thread have i told ANYONE that they had no chance for admission at any of the aforementioned universities. i simply pointed out that g money would benefit from recognizing and asserting his personal use of a pocket protector. as for my "tone," i simply would like to highlight the fact that admission into elite universities is highly UNPREDICTABLE. no one person, especially any present in this forum, may predict, or even give a fairly accurate representation of a decision an entire committee of university personnel make. nor have i revealed which university i am an officer for. therefore, i am neither misrepresenting nor representing ANY university in a positive or negative manner. if i were overly critical, just as a side note, i would point out that YOU are the individual who "sounds" immature, nor can you spell. but as a mature individual, i would prefer not to point that out.

By observer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

do you all realize that, as admissions officer is quite pronounced and somewhat outspoken in this thread, that most of you choose to label this person as a male? did it ever occur to any of you that this person may just as well be female? why is it that anyone who is in the center of attention automatically a male???

By bree on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:53 pm: Edit

hopeful, do u like doing laundries?

By bree on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

well, admission officer, if u are a female, u must like doing laundries. that's great!

By admissions_officer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:25 pm: Edit

bree and others:
i am so disappointed that so many young females have fallen into the "housewife" trap. think of our mothers who have fought so desperately for our rights in the 1920s? should we happily throw ourselves at household duties like dedicated housewives?? no-this is the twenty-first century!! we can either hire poor, illegal immigrants to do it for us, or make our future husbands do something for a change!!! do not assume that, simply because one is female, one "must" like doing laundries...because it is a widely known fact that i, particularly, HATE doing laundry.

By observer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:33 pm: Edit

seriously, are you saying that feminism never happened? i mean, come on people!!!

By lo on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:34 pm: Edit

admissions officer, if u are a female who is very articulated...can I propose to u?

By admissions_officer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:41 pm: Edit

lo:
are you serious? just wondering...;)

By cookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

admission officer, can u give me a percentage of me being accepeted to nyu...

By Hopeful (Hopeful) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:46 pm: Edit

what r laundries?

By cookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:47 pm: Edit

assuming the admissioners noticed my laundry hobbies

By therealcookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

shut up...

By admissions_officer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

cookie:
please don't invest too much weight into my estimates for admission for you. i do not wish to inflate nor down your hopes for admission. as a very vague, general percentage, (which is difficult to pinpoint), i would probably say appoximately 40% or so...i am not very familiar with nyu's admission policies. definitely, (more sound advice), explore nyu's website. look at as many undergraduate webpages as you can. if you have already submitted your application, there is obviously little you can do now. best of luck!

By cookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

thanks...

By cookie on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:55 pm: Edit

and if u have any problem with doing laundry, I would be glad to do it for u

By admissions_officer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

cookie:
thank you for your offer, but i wouldn't exploit someone for laundry detail. take pride in feminism!!! do not submit!!!

By admissions_officer on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

lo:
two words: YOU WISH.

By therealcookieforreal on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

i do take pride in feminism, that's an impostor...

By lo on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

admissions_officer: I was died serious, u broke my heart. Now I hope u r not hot at all.

By admissions_officer on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 08:49 am: Edit

lo:
on the contrary: i thought you were joking. and btw: i am quite hot. if you are "died" serious, post your email.

By g-money on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 05:20 pm: Edit

so...about pocket protectors...

By admissions_officer on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

g-money:
have you bought one yet? i seriously think this is a matter of urgency. that april 1st deadline will be here sooner than you know.

By Wanksta33 on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Hey admissions officer:

I've applied to Wharton regular decision this year, probably the toughest program to which one can gain admittance at Penn. So, I was hoping that you could give me realistic chances:
-SAT 800m 770v / 800 Math IIC / 800 Physics /
710 writing
-3.97/4.33 GPA, unranked and toughest schedule
-AP Physics B, Calc AB, US History, Biology : 5s AP Europe: 3 / 4 more this year
-1st singles varsity / co-captain tennis (96th in Midwest) ; varsity academic team ; math club ; president of chess club
-Holocaust Museum Tour Guide / ESL Assistant Teacher for spanish-speaking immigrants
-NM Semifinalist, AP Scholar, Spanish and math awards (AIME qualifier)
-A at Harvard Summer school Economics (w/ rec)
-great recs and essays

Thanks

By admissions_officer on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

wanksta33:
your stats look good...although they may be average among a pool of the nation's best. what will set you apart are your ec's, community service, etc. you seem to have some decent achievements, which will most likely give you an advantage against some applicants. like i had said earlier, admission at elite universities is extremely hard to predict. honestly, i wouldn't bother posting on this board for advice for two reasons:
1. admissions deadlines have passed. if someone tells you you need more ECs, there really isn't anything you can do that will affect your admissions decisions.
2. if you scored well (like 1450-1500 or above), you are top ranked, you have a list of ECs longer than a standard sheet of paper, you hold more than one AP award/honor, you founded a hospital ANYWHERE, or you have been accepted to any schools thus far with an average sat score greater than 1400, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE EVALUATED BY PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD. the important evaluations are already being made. also, you probably have a greater than 50% chance of being admitted. you have nothing to worry about.

if you fit into any of the categories i listed above: why not try to give some advice of your own? research your top choice school? formulate new goals and devise a realistic plan to achieve that goal. plan for dorm life next fall??
ABOVE ALL:
have fun and enjoy your last semester in high school!!!

good luck everyone!

if, despite my previous advice, you would like advice or simply would like to talk or ask questions about life in college, please feel free to
email me (at one of my alternate emails). please: no harassment. all emails will be considered seriously and truthfully.

By nicegrl on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

hey admisson officer,
can u read my essay... i'll e-mail it to you...

By admissions_officer on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

nicegrl:
i really don't have a lot of free time right now, but email it to me and i'll TRY. you probably won't get a response back until next week, though.

By ali on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

God, you're hilarious, ad. officer. seriously. i luv ya. i wonder how many different roles you've played in this thread . . .

By admissions_officer on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

ali:
actually, i have only played one...that i know of...

By lo on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 11:34 am: Edit

finally, u showed some sympathy...
fifa1234@sohu.com

By Doj on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:22 pm: Edit

Hello...
I'm an international student with SAT M670 V750 no SAT II yet.On a 1-100 scale what are my UPenn chances

By aw on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:44 pm: Edit

around 1

By aw on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:44 pm: Edit

around 1

By admissions_officer on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:51 pm: Edit

lo:
are you an international student? or asian for that matter? just wondering...

By admissions_officer on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:52 pm: Edit

lo:
and why aren't you in school now?

By Doj on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Black African Male(Nigerian)Surely AA should work in my favour.TOEFL 283.Finished school

By essay on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 01:39 pm: Edit

admission officer... is this a good essay for admission at an elite collge...

I still remember, quite vividly, that one day about ten or eleven years ago. A family friend had just brought me and my sister home from an outing, and he was walking us into our house. I would soon discover that after walking through my white front doors, I would never be quite the same again - I would finally and completely realize the grave situation that would have the most influence on my life thereafter. Upon entering the house, I could smell a very sour and acrid odor emanating from the living room, and I could also hear a person groaning disconcertingly. As we walked slowly into the living room, a staggering sight met our eyes. There, lying face down on a couch, was my father, with an ashen-faced complexion. His head was completely bald, and his grisly figure appeared enervated. He was gasping for air, and then suddenly, without a warning, he grabbed a blue pan, put his face to it, and just vomited with such vehemence that it really shook me. Before this, I used to think words like "cancer", "tumor", "chemotherapy", etc. - were all terms describing a simple illness that went away as fast as the common cold. Upon seeing what was happening to my father, I then realized that colon cancer was neither quick nor painless, but rather agonizing and disturbing. After vomiting, my dad lifted his frail head up and uttered a weak "Hello," before vomiting even more. I looked at our friend, and I understood the look on his face. "Let's go to my house, Jeff," he said, "Let your dad rest - he has been fighting brave and hard."

My dad, my hero; the one whom I cherished and looked up to for love and guidance, was now battling for his life. His colon cancer was first detected in 1987, and for the next two years or so, things got worse as the illness became more and more malignant. The whole situation was then exacerbated by a series of debilitating surgeries and chemotherapy treatments. Because of this ordeal, my mom had to spend most of her time, energy, effort, not to mention large amounts of money, taking care of my father's health. As a result, my mother had to set aside both my needs and my sister's needs. Because of this involuntary neglect, I, as a seven-year-old developing child, never got much of a chance to expand my talents and personality, and many opportunities, such as learning piano at a very young age, had to be put off because of this family crisis. I had trouble coping with the absence of my father, due to his constant hospitalization, and I had problems finding my identity, lacking a close role model to look up to. I had difficulty performing well in school, and I felt bad when I saw other children already cultivating their talents and skills at very early ages. From around age seven to recent times, I've been at a disadvantage compared to my peers, in terms of personal maturation, intellectual development, and talent growth. I had been "lagging" behind.

Like my father, I too had a struggle to overcome, and I was determined to fight on. But the path ahead was not going to be easy; it was going to be a test of patience and perseverance.

Growing up without a "dad" figure at my side, I had always felt different from the other children. In elementary and middle school, I noticed that most other youths always seemed happy, easy-going, and extroverted. I remember that I knew a lot of peers around me who always got the newest clothing and toys, but since my family had a tight budget, we weren't able to afford any luxuries. I saw other kids taking long family vacations with their dads, while I saw my own father lying in bed. I remember a classmate asking me, "Where are you going this summer?" and I replied, "I'm going to the hospital to see my dad." I was quiet, shy, and timid, since my parents weren't always there to encourage me to express myself openly. Thus besides having kept to myself, I had problems communicating with others, and at one point it had gotten so bad that I was avoiding human contact, and couldn't bring myself to look at people's faces when they were speaking to me. Some children considered me an outcast; therefore I was often the target of harassment and ridicule. Early on, I had a low self-esteem, which was worsened by my poor performance in school. My dad had always stressed academics quite heavily, but after seeing my grades, I felt like I had failed my father, just like his health had failed him. Adding to the blow, I saw others around me already learning instruments, attending tutoring programs, and picking up art lessons - all at very young ages. I was a late starter, and that would be the cause of my struggle. Often, my predicament seemed hopeless - others were better off than I was; I was picked on and ignored by peers; I had an identity problem and was unable to express myself well; I had a hard time in school, and my talents were atrophying away. At a lot of times, I would simply say to myself, "I can't take this any longer. I don't have the patience or the spirit for this - I just don't know what to do anymore."

Funny how I said all that, because whenever I felt like giving up, my dad would pop into my mind: Boom. A crystal clear memory of that day when I saw my dad throwing up and dying right before my eyes, and when the family friend said to me, "Let your dad rest - he's been fighting brave and hard."

I saw the truth in this. My dad fought and struggled with the disease, and never once did he give in, because if he had, he probably wouldn't be alive today. By his bearing all that suffering just so that he could live another day to see his family, he had taught me determination and steadfastness. He taught me to never give up. I then realized that I had to go on and defeat this difficult but crucial time period in my life; thus, I made up my mind. I will catch up. I will fully develop my personality, which had been holding me back. I will improve my academics, no matter what, and I will go out of my way to harvest my talents. No more delays. No more fear. No more shame, and most importantly, no more giving up.

Beginning in middle school and all the way through high school, I worked hard and persistently to catch up, and I've accomplished a lot of my goals. Beginning in the sixth grade, I really started to focus on academics, and with each passing year, I got better and better grades. Particularly, these past few years in high school, I've been proud of my exceptionally high marks, and I owe all my determination to my father's high academic standards and the valuable lesson he had taught me. Also in middle school, I tried to catch up in cultivating one of my talents and interests - piano. I know that others who had been playing for a while had an advantage over me, as learning an instrument such as the piano is best undertaken at very young ages. But following my dad's attitude, I pushed myself; I practiced and practiced, although it became more difficult to find practice time as my grade level advanced. Finally, I had practiced so much that my teacher allowed me to skip levels in the piano Certificate of Merit exam, just so I could get up to speed with the others. As a result, I jumped from a CM level 4 to a level 8 in just two years. This is another accomplishment of which I am especially proud of, and in March of 2001, I achieved the level 9. My dad's tenacity had motivated me to pursue not only a musical talent, but other things as well, such as tennis, abacus, Chinese school, and tutoring. But I think the crowning achievement of my youth was my ability to overcome my personality flaw. In eighth grade, I sacrificed time for other activities, and joined an Asian youth leadership program, which basically taught me how to communicate openly and effectively as a peer mentor, and as a leader in the community. I am now able to speak clearly and confidently to my peers, and it has worked wonders. Last year, I was even able to host an open house event for the program, speaking comfortably in front of a very large audience, an accomplished feat of which I am very proud of and that I owe to my father, my reason for living.

My dad had been at my side all this time. Even if he had been lying sick in bed from chemotherapy treatments, his spirit was with me every step of the way. He taught me how to live life as well as the most fundamental of all problem-solving skills: never give up, no matter how desperate things seem. Watching him in deep discomfort and agony, seeing him suffer with dignity, is something that I'll never forget. His struggle with the cancer became a model for my own struggle to get caught up, especially during my early childhood and adolescence. I've worked long and hard, doing whatever I could to make up for all those years of lost progress. His will to live on became my will to work harder and to improve my person as a whole, all for the sake of catching up. Fortunately, my father's will paid off, as in 1992, there was a period of remission. He got better, but my struggle didn't stop then, because it was ongoing. I continued the fight through elementary, middle, and high school, and even now in my senior year, I've been struggling, especially with college entrance tests like the SAT. Nevertheless, I can never thank my dad enough for what he has given me. I think I'll go to my dad now, and really show him all of my accomplishments. Perhaps he'll then say to me: "I'm proud of you son…you've been fighting brave and hard."

By admissions_officer on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 03:00 pm: Edit

email it to me and i will try to make corrections this weekend. i will also have more time. see above for email address.

By admissions_officer on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

doj:
have you taken any american standardized tests? (sat, sat 2, etc?) if so, how did you score?

By admissions_officer on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 03:13 pm: Edit

doj:
i'm sorry, i totally missed your stats that you listed above. disregard my previous post. it's been a long day...

By wannahelp on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

EVERYONE, STOP WORRYING! everyone knows that all the ivies, mit, cit, stanford, etc. are crapshoots to get into. They OFTEN reject well-qualified applicants for those who seem to have lower stats. If you think that you are not well-qualified, don't lose hope!!! Submit the app, keep ur fingers crossed, and good luck!!! :)

By wondering on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Admissions officer: I'm sure you cannot reveal which college you are an admissions officer for, but I'm wondering...what type of college? One of the top 10 in the nation? or perhaps Ivy League?

By g-money on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

i dont he/shes a real admissions officer. what the hell wud a real admissions officer be doing on this board. and who has time to read other peoples essays for fun. and dont call it being a good samaritan either.

and by the way, ill pass on the pocket protectors.....im trying to save money for college ya know

By lo on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

adoff:i'm not intl, well, using an mailbox from sohu might imply that I'm a 100% Chinese. No, I've been in the states for nearly 3 years. Well, if u thought I was an intl, why would u even ask for the reason I'm not in school? there's obviously the 12 hours deficit on time across half of the hemisphere. well, it doesn't make any sense now arguing this, but since that ur eloquence was one that attracted, I would be grateful to follow ur deductions. anyways, I'm not in school because i'm taking classes over at the university in the afternoon. I have like about 30 mins in between to check what u lovely admission officer had to say to me, so...

By admissions_officer on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 08:38 am: Edit

lo:
that is impressive that you are taking classes at the university. i am also asian-korean. in what state do you attend school?

By admissions_officer on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 08:41 am: Edit

wondering:
as you would suspect, i would like to remain incognito, so to speak. regarding the nature of this board (chances at admission), i would not like to misrepresent any university nor the official outcome of their decision.

g-money:
there are student loans available in any amount. i'm sure you would benefit from the use of a pocket protector.

By bump on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

bump

By admissions_officer on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

lo:
your email is malfunctioning.

By lo on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

sweet~ adoff, try weidamengxing@yahoo.com

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page