Someone please Explain this Anamoly

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Someone please Explain this Anamoly
By Pissed on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

I am a high school senior in an extremely competitive and rigorous high school in CA, I currently have a 3.9 unweighted GPA with numerous AP and Honors classes, I am considered by my peers and teachers to be a rather intelligent student, and one who readily contributes to class discussions, HOWEVER......

My SAT score is only a 1290, explain that people, maybe I truly am just a bad test taker correct!...Im waiting for all you to verbally bash me and call me stupid

By mit_hopeful on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 03:00 pm: Edit

i know what you are talking about-i am the same way-1st in my class and a 1320. you could argue that you are a bad test taker if all of your scores correlate-are all in the same, low bracket. it wouldn't make sense if you got, say, a 600 on the verbal and a 700-something on the math and call yourself a bad test taker. plus, admission into ivies and the like are usually a draw. seriously, it's like winning the lottery-all chance.

By hi on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Apparently, you work too slowly on the tests or you don't understand analogies and simple math. Bottom line: you're stupid. jk

By sondogg on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

there is another situation, maybe having high grades and getting a good class rank in your class is not hard. That's why the SAT is used, because in some schools getting straight A's is cake, and in some (like mine) getting straight A's is a god-send.

By Pissed on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 03:53 pm: Edit

sondogg, u idiot next time read my post more carefully, I stated I attend a school which is extremely competitive and getting A's is not a piece of cake, as for hi, i do not work too slowly it is that I rush when I take the SAT's and make extremely careless errors, in fact I am very good when it comes to analogies, on my latest SAT verbal i only missed two analogies, and 2 sentence completions the critical reading screws me over since i doo not focus and rush,

By sadf on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Pissed, I can only suggest that you slow down, take your time, and focus.

By lol on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:02 pm: Edit

Hell, I don't even read the passage and I got a 790V....just read the questions and go find the answers based on the line numbers.

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 02:51 am: Edit

That doesnt mean you're a bad test taker. That means that you arent smart enough to change how you approach something. If you can't calm your nerves enough for a stupid test how will you be able to cut it in college? You need to stop whining about being cursed with the "bad test taker" gene that i dont think really exists in the first place, and start studying a learning to control yourself. take practice tests and learn to finish them 5 minutes early, without rushing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page