NC Kid for Y, S, H, Carolina, Amherst, others

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: NC Kid for Y, S, H, Carolina, Amherst, others
By Spontanuity on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:18 pm: Edit

I'm now experiencing the unbearable calm before the April 1 storm. Realizing that admissions are often unpredictable, I'd like to see what others think of my chances at Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Carolina, Amherst, Brown, Williams, and/or Chicago.

Basics: white male from NC

SATs: 1530 (790V), 800/800/780 (Wr, IIC, US His.)

More Numbers: 3.86uw/4.91w, 3/362, 222 on PSAT, 5/4/4/4/3 (with the 3 for Latin-Vergil), all As on mid-year report

Activities/Awards: BSA (Eagle Scout, Sr. Ptrl. Ldr.), Order of the Arrow (Chapter Chief), Swimming (All-Conference once for 100 br. and once for 200 med. relay, 4 Varsity letters), Latin Club (Pres., NCJCL awards, NLE Summa Cum Laude, Honor Soc.), Environment Club (Envirothon awards), some local writing recognition, NMerit Semi, Morehead Semi, Attended NC Governor's School in Social Science

By sondogg on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 01:07 pm: Edit

what's ur niche? You're good "over-all" but they arent looking for well-rounded good kids. What's the thing that you want to study that separates you from the pack?

By youre god on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

You're in at Carolina, Amherst (maybe), Brown, Williams (most probably), and Chicago. You'll at the worst get into one of Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. Nice Work.

By Spontanuity on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

well, i don't know that i have a niche. i'm interested in creative writing and environmental studies.

By frogbert on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 03:13 pm: Edit

did you apply regular decision to all of them? were you deferred from one or a couple? have you not gotten a letter from some EA school?

By Spontanuity on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

i applied EA to carolina (find out by jan 31) and RD to every other school

By curiousgirl on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 06:02 pm: Edit

u can't predict college admissions, but u have a strong background. u'll prolly make at least a few, but you never know. ivies and elite colleges have the weirdest admissions sometimes. one would think that since they are top schools, they are looking for ppl with top stats (1500+ SAT scores/great extracurriculars), but it's not always the case. they love minorities and children of magnates. oh yea. and sometimes ppl who don't have such great stats. whats ur dream school

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page