HEY! YOU! RATE MY STATS FOR CORNELL!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: HEY! YOU! RATE MY STATS FOR CORNELL!
By Olivia on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:03 pm: Edit

I posted here quite some time ago, but that was before I got SAT II's back...so here we go:

GPA: 3.914 (uw)
SAT I: 1360 (710V, 650M)
SAT II: Writing-790
Literature-670
Latin-630
Six and a half AP classes total (I'm dropping AP Calc next sem--it's destroying me emotionally)
EC's: President of Drama Club, Captain of Academic Decathlon( our team went to nationals last year), President of Latin Club, private Latin tutor, a devout Shakespearean (I've apprenticed for two different Shakespeare festivals, and taught Shakespeare workshops to youth)...also I got a gold medal and two silver medals on the National Latin Exam in the three years I've taken it...does that compensate a little for my low Latin SAT II score?

Also a declared English major. My BIG essay was pretty swell, if I do say so myself...hopefully excellent recs...oh yeah, and I may get a "C" (a "B" at best) in Calc this sem...how much will that hurt me? (considering that it's obvious my educational plans do not include any traces of limits or derivatives whatsoever)...

Anyway, the long reaches are Cornell and Washington U. St Louis. Particularly Cornell. Oh, yeah, and I'm from WA state.

-Olivia

By higher on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Not a bit chance for the reaches. Start looking for community college.

By asdfsadf on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

um...it's bad to drop something right now....I would stick it out...and hope for the b...

By Olivia on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 01:11 pm: Edit

higher-

Hey, thanks! Can you give me any ideas of what community college is going to accept me, though? I mean, they're getting ultra-competitive these days--what other choice do Ivy rejects have?

-Olivia

By Leia on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Olivia, don't listen to "higher" (and btw, nice sarcasm). Your SAT's are strong, GPA's great and your EC's show that you are a true English major(i sympathize - Calculus is the bane of my existence). So, do your best, and good luck to you. You definitely don't have to go to community college. As our good friend William said : "let the justices make you and fortune friends."

By anonymous on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 05:47 pm: Edit

I was accepted to CU and I've noticed that they doesn't tend to depend much on extras as much as the other Ivys. I have a friend who was only involved in science research in high school and never had a job. The College of Arts and Sciences is, however, one of the most difficult schools to get into at Cornell. If you took a lot of time on the two mini-essays, your chances are probably better. Those mean a lot to the CU admissions officers.

By cornell engineering, class of 2007 on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Anonymous, I found their admissions process to actually be the opposite. My SAT's were average for Cornell's standards (1420), my grades were sub-par (3.66 GPA), but my extracurriculars were very strong, and I was accepted early decision to the Engineering school last month. Another guy I know had the same GPA as me, 1320 SAT's, but very strong extracurricular activities, and he was also accepted to Cornell Engineering ED. Neither of us are URM's or legacies. So I found extracurriculars to be very important in their decision making.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page