Chances at Cornell, Dartmouth, etc.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Chances at Cornell, Dartmouth, etc.
By JerseyGirl on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 02:11 pm: Edit

Hi. I'm currently a junior in high school (which explains my lack of SAT II's at the moment). I go to a fairly average school in New Jersey.
SAT I: M-710 V-720 (1430) I think I can raise this score though because 720 is way below my average on the verbal section. On all of the practice tests that I took as well as on the PSAT's, I scored 750+.
GPA: 4.75 (My school has a messed up scale)
EC's:
-President of environmental club
-President/founder of community Odyssey of the Mind team
-National History Day participant
-Debate team
-History Club
-Secretary of school's literary magazine
-Hospital volunteer (100+ hours)
-Peer tutoring
-Part-time job (15 hours a week)
-Torah Club member in synagogue
-Attend optional Hebrew classes

Honors/Awards:
-800 club (award in my school for people with 800's on a section of the SAT I's, SAT II's, or PSAT's. I got it for perfect score of the verbal section of the PSAT's. Yes, I know that it is a stupid award. LOL)
-Spanish Honor Society
-National Honor Society
-Spanish Achievement Award in my school
- National Gold Renaissance Award
- In special magnet school program for the humanities in my school
-School's nominee for Governor's School (I will find out if I got in in April)
- I won't find out until my senior year, but I know that I will be at least a Commended Scholar and possibly a National Merit Semi-Finalist depending on the cut-off in my state.

Other:
-JSA Summer School at Princeton last summer
-Had a paper bought and published

I know I'm not that great an applicant considering the other people on this board...but what are my chances at:

-Cornell (probably ED)
-Dartmouth (possibly ED--I'm not sure whether to apply ED to Cornell or Dartmouth. It'll probably be Cornell though, since I know Dartmouth is an enormous reach for me).
-Brandeis (aunt went there)
-Bucknell
-Colgate
-Tufts
-Wesleyan
-Possibly Columbia (Cousin is the dean of a department there, 2 cousins graduated valedictorian there)
-Georgetown (aunt went to law school there)

Also, I'm still making my list. If you have any suggestions of other colleges, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

By sid mathur on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 02:32 pm: Edit

if you can manage to score an average of a 720 on your sat II tests, u will be in the 7 range of the academic index meaning you'll most probably get in to those schools as long as u have good ECs which you definitely do. I would apply to Dartmouth ED if I were you because even if it's a reach, it will tremendously increases your chances of getting in while u can get into Cornell easily. I think you have a great chance at the schools u listed. Good Luck!

By hi on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 02:58 pm: Edit

You have a good chance at all those schools. I wouldn't be shocked if you got into the "higher" ivies. Although your SATs aren't great, you're in range for any school.

By JerseyGirl on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it.

By jewish cornellian on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Come to Cornell. Jews are always welcome here. L'chayim, to life!

By JerseyGirl on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 09:28 am: Edit

Haha. Thanks. Actually, that is pretty important to me though. What exactly is the Jewish community like at Cornell?

By aaa on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 09:56 am: Edit

what are your APs? (if any)

By jewish cornellian on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 10:27 am: Edit

Well, actually, I am going there next year. But when I visited there, the Hillel House conventiently had a booth set up in the middle of campus for some event. So, being an interested Jew, I went over to their table and asked them about the Jewish community, we talked for about 15 minutes (they were very friendly), and accoring to them, one third of the university is Jewish. So this is definitely very cool. And they said that tons of Jews were very involved in Hillel, and some just showed up to a few events. It seems like a very open program. And walking around campus, I saw a lotta guys wearing kippot. But yeah, Jewish life is definitely a plus at Cornell. I guess I'll see for myself next year :)

By JerseyGirl on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 10:31 am: Edit

I haven't taken the tests yet because my school only offers AP's to juniors and seniors. These are the AP classes I'm taking though:

Junior year:
AP U.S. History
AP Chemistry
AP English Language and Composition

Senior year:
AP Biology
AP Calculus BC
AP English Literature
Either AP European History or AP Psychology (AP European History is my first choice but it usually isn't taught in my school, so I'll most likely be taking AP Psychology).

I'm taking the maximum number of AP's offered in my school.

By JerseyGirl on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 10:33 am: Edit

Thanks jewish cornellian.

By JerseyGirl on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 08:28 pm: Edit

BUMP

By bump on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 01:04 pm: Edit

bump

By curious on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Do you think there is a higher population of Jews at Cornell than the other Ivies?

By bump on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 01:41 pm: Edit

bump

By Liz (Liz) on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 04:19 pm: Edit

UPenn apparently has a pretty big Jewish population. Something like 40%, I think. You could probably check their website.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page