Scanning the Waters: What Are My Chances at GW/Georgetown/Ha

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Scanning the Waters: What Are My Chances at GW/Georgetown/Ha
By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 01:22 pm: Edit

Well, I'm currently a junior, and planning on taking all those "FUN" standardized tests in the summer, but could you all give my a hypothetical "What are my chances" at Georgetown, George Washington, and Harvard? Thanks:

White male
SAT: Above 1450 (predicted)
SAT II (3): All above 750 (predicted)
ACT: At least 32, may take again.

GPA: 11.8 (out of 12, uses + and - ).
School Doesn't Offer AP/IB, but have taken all hard classes that interest me (granted, I have taken classes that felt like they would be challenging, but turned out otherwise). Probably will take some AP tests.Skipped year of Spanish (year 3 to year 5), independent study of an extra year of Calc.

Volunteer: Over 100 school/community related; received school scholarships from service (they give you money if you do so many hours).

EC's:

Student Government (Senator, Class Prez), service on Student Life/Principal Search committees.
NHS (leadership role predicted)
School Ambassador
Bowling Team (I'm a pretty decent bowler)
Chess Club
Harvard SSP Program
Helped edit a book on history of my city
Writer for local paper.
Math Team (won a few awards)
Spanish Club (briefly, about 15 service hours for them)

So what do you think? Mind you all my EC's are dedicated, my school is an athletic school, so a lot of academic clubs have fallen apart (chess).

Do I have a shot?

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Bump, bump it up. Anyone?

By Judeezy36 (Judeezy36) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

You can't really predict your SAT results unless you have some sort of benchmark, but im assuming your using your PSAT for these guestimates(word?).. i'm also interested in GW, but I'd say you are an automatic for them, probably with some sort of substantial scholarship too.. Georgetown would also probably be a yes, but Harvard is always a tough call... if you write for a local newspaper, GW's school of media and public affairs might be a good bet for you...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page