Chances at Penn- are my grades competitive??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chances at Penn- are my grades competitive??
By Penn08please (Penn08please) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

OK, just got back all my grades for the mid-year report, so I wanna know if my grades are still competitive for Penn. I have a few B's during my senior year, and I fear it's going to kill me in this process.

FRESHMAN YEAR-JUNIOR YEAR
11 Honors Courses
4 AP Classes
2 Non-Honors Language Classes
Final Grade in all classes: A
GPA: 4.8-4.9?

SENIOR YEAR (Mid-Year Report):
6 AP Classes

1st quarter
Second Quarter
Mid-Term
A A A B A B
B A A A A A
A A A B A A
Average Grade in each class
A A A B A A

Will those 4 B's hurt me a lot? I did get an A second quarter in Calc BC and an "A" on the mid-term, which I'm proud of. But, the other B's are making me worry a bit? I am being ridiculous, or am I appropriately afraid?

By Xocutiecoley (Xocutiecoley) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Your grades are great, hm i doubt those 4 B's will kill you..What about Ec's awards and everything else?

By Penn08please (Penn08please) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

My Ec's and awards are pretty good. EC's and awards usually only help if you've done something amazing, I have enough that I present myself as someone who gets involved with school activities and other interests outside of school (music, etc.). My essays were pretty good, and I tried to add a lot of personality in the application through any part that I could (the short essay questions, the photo, and a supplementary psuedo-resume. Well, the resume was more of an activities page in which I explained all the activities I was interested in at Penn.) I think I have everything down in terms of activities and essays, but even then it sometimes isn't enough. I'm sure it comes down to a point where the admissions office has to choose one applicant from three very qualified applicants that are pretty similar. I hope they pick my file, but who knows, right?

Anyway, I just hope the B's aren't a red flag on my application, because I know how competitive Penn can be.

By Xocutiecoley (Xocutiecoley) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

What classes are your B's in anyways?

By Penn08please (Penn08please) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

AP Calculus BC and AP Gov=1b, not a huge deal I guess. Government was a fluke really, i had a 97 average, but I misread an question on a test and got a C, which brought my average way down. It was a three part AP Essay question and I didn't see the first part. Apparently, if you didn't give an answer for the first question, (according the the AP rubric) only 20% of the rest of the essay could be graded- yeah, really annoying. My gov teacher felt bad about doing it, but he had to follow the rubric. The other B's were in Spanish V AP, which is annoying. But, really, no one get an A on the mid-term, so I'm not really that worried. I did pull off straight A's in AP Computer Science and AP Chemistry, in addition to AP English.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page