AH! My UC gpa sucks. Do i still have a shot???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: AH! My UC gpa sucks. Do i still have a shot???
By Entropie (Entropie) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

well it didnt come as much of a surprise, but my UC GPA is a puny little 3.74 (yes, that's weighted). These are the UC's I want to attend, in order of preference, plz keep in mind I'm a URM (hispanic) if it will help me at all:
UCLA, UCB, UCSD, UCI, UCB

My stats:

well you know my 3.74 UC GPA, I had a trend that looks like a "U curve"; strong freshman, med soph, weak 1st sem. junior, strong 2nd sem junior. Trend reflects personal outside circumstances.

*650 M, 690 V (1340)
*750Writing, 710Math1C, 730 Spanish L, 740 BIO-M
*7 total AP's, taking 4 of 7 in senior year

EC:
*Volunteer/paid tutor
*VP of table tennis club, (heavily involved raised $5000+)
*a few prizes/medals from table tennis tournaments
*Job as a financial analyst
*Some random academic awards
*Short story writer for school's literary magazine
*I've played guitar for 6 years. Won "best technical skill" in a flamenco competition.

Other:
I've been independent since the age of 16. Moved away from parents because of really bad family troubles.

Essays: excellent and unique by pretty much everyone who has read them (UC reps, teachers, counselors, peers, etc). I heard somewhere that essays are important, so just in case.

If you can, please rate me in rough percentages. Hell, just rate me whichever way you can! :)
Thank you so much everyone, I hope to see your ratings soon!

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

Your SAT scores are good but a weighted gpa of 3.74! what is you uw gpa. O ya your sat II's are really good and you know how much the uc's like that.You should apply to UCD because i think you might have a chance. But i dont know about UCLA,UCB and UCSD but UCI is pretty good.

By Masamune707 (Masamune707) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 01:15 am: Edit

hmm i dont kno *too* much about the UC's in terms of the stats of the ppl they accept but id say u have a fair chance at UCLA!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 11:27 am: Edit

Are you in state? If so, you will have a good shot at UCI and UCSD but UCLA and UCB will probably be reaches (but apply anyhow - you never know!) I'd also suggest you check off UC Davis, UCSB, and UCSC when you fill out the application - you'd have a good chance at all three.

By Entropie (Entropie) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

thanks everyone, i appreciate your replies. I notice my GPA is horrid (btw, it's 3.5 UW) but it's always been my dream to attend UCLA. Every time I look onto the campus(live near it), my heart sinks at the thought that I'll probably be rejected. I'm guessing that those accepted with a GPA like mine are mostly athletes or legacies or something like that?

If not UCLA or UCB, which do you recommend? I also applied to Pomona College as a mega reach (everyone tells me I don't have a shot).

By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

i'm from california, and I would say you have a very very small chance for most of these schools. Do you know how hard it is to get into Berkeley or UCLA!!! Helloooo! you should consider davis, riverside, or merced.

By Entropie (Entropie) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

seriously? i had no clue I was this far out of their league. I didnt apply to davis, riverside, OR merced. Are you sure i wouldnt at least get into UCSB or UCI? I've seen people with far worse stats get into SB.

By Ktoid (Ktoid) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Don't listen to that kid. You will get in to at least 2 of those UC's listed.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page