Scared and Petrified

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Scared and Petrified
By Elinkamalinka (Elinkamalinka) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

I'm scared that i'm a complete loser, I'm a junior and here are my stats

Russian/Jewish Immigrant
SAT:1450
expected ACT:33
AP Classes: Calculus (4), US Hist(4), Art Hist(4), Stat(5), Chem, US Gov, Comparitive Gov, European Hist, Physics, Art Studio, Lit
(the ones without a score are AP exams still expected to take in future)
Class Rank top 20% out of a very competitive school
WGPA:4.2

ECs:
Tutor, Volunteer Math Tutor, MUN, Mock Trial, Social Action Programmer for a World Wide Zionist Organization, Speech and Debate Captain(3 years), National Honor Society, Beta Club, constant volunteering for homeless and teaching underprivilaged kids to read. and other various clubs and organizations

Please speak the truth

By Mushroom (Mushroom) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

why are you scared? you sound like a great college candidate, with your ec's and ap courses.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Complete loser?

What would that make me? haha.

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Yeah, you are a pretty weak student...ok, you aren't, but since you're obviously fishing for a compliment, im not going to play along.

By Neona (Neona) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit

You want the truth?

You can't handle the truth!

But seriously, you *are* a complete loser to fish for compliments like this on an internet message board. Aclockworkowens was right.

That's the honest truth.

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

Start looking at the community colleges.

By Penguin (Penguin) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Apply anywhere you want to go; you may or may not get into top schools, but you won't be wasting your money.

Of the ~3000 4-year colleges in America, you are guaranteed to get into about 2,900, with merit scholarships to boot (pick one financial safety if you need it);
you stand an excellent chance for 60 or so more (pick two admissions safeties, and hope for some money too);
you have a solid shot at the next 30 (pick four matches);
and you have a middling-to-outside lottery ticket for the remaining 10. (HYPSMCD/AWS - pick two reaches, three if you include a LAC.)

But you already knew that. Sorry guys for feeding him, but I felt compelled to be nice on the off chance he was in earnest.

By Macmom (Macmom) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

I know a girl whose parents are Russian/Jewish immigrants with stats very similar to yours who was accepted to Macalester, which is a top-25 liberal arts college. She received a hefty financial aid package. As long as you are not fixated on the Ivies, I think you will be a viable candidate at many excellent colleges.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page