Deferred from top choice

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Deferred from top choice
By Slz1241 (Slz1241) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:50 am: Edit

I was recently deferred from my top choice school and was wondering what steps I should take. My first semester grades will be sent out soon and they are pretty good, better than my previous years. Should I do something like sending a letter telling them about myself and what I've been up to since I applied? I was thinking of also sending in a personal statement explaining why my grades were so low in 10th grade. Would it be a good idea to send both of these things or would that just be too much? Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:55 am: Edit

Definitely send in a letter when you've been deferred. Usually the purpose of this letter is to re-express interest, state the school is STILL your first choice, and update them on anything significant that's happened since you've applied (i.e. awards, honors, what have you). You don't necessarily have to include something "about yourself", as any info they needed was already on the app. I'm not so sure you want to explain your low grades from sophomore year due to extenuating circumstances; such things are usually handled in the guidance rec. If it wasn't, that hurts you. But making excuses is usually not a good idea. Just reinforce the positive and you should be fine. Good luck! I got deferred too, and I'll be writing a letter soon...

By Slz1241 (Slz1241) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 11:03 am: Edit

Thanks for the help. For my low grades in sophmore year it was partially about a medical problem that was bothering me and how I was able to overcome it. If I focus more on how I was able to overcome it and how it made me a stronger person as a result would that be a good idea? Or should I steer clear of sending out another essay?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page