Am I on the right track?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Am I on the right track?
By Erica on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Hi! I'm a California resident(Asian) and a junior in high school. I haven't taken the SAT's yet but I signed up for SAT I in the Jan.25th test. Here are my stats so far:

GPA: 3.9 UW 4.2 W(my school only gives 5 units for both honors and AP's, but I notice some other schools give 6 units for APs)

6 honors and 2 APs so far(school limits the # of AP classes due to state requirements)

Extra Curr.:
FBLA(President)
California Scholarship Federation(Representative)
Math Club
Japanese National Honor Society
Academic Decathlon
Journalism
Volunteer at a hospital for 180 hours
Volunteer at a library for 20 hours
Volunteer at a community center(tutor other students)
Golf(2 years)
Track(1 year)

Won several GSE awards and Governor's Scholarship Award(scores on the STAR test).

I hope to score 1300+ on the SAT. I'm currently taking Advanced Alg Honors(includes trig in spring semester). I'm still trying to decide whether or not to take SAT II: Math IC or IIC. The problem is I took Geometry in 9th grade and forgot most of the material. Any thoughts?

How do I look for applying to Stanford ED(consider as a reach), Cornell, Columbia, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UC San Diego?

By dyip10 on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:19 pm: Edit

You have a chance at Cal, UCLA, and UCSD depending on SAT and other factors. Stanford, Cornell and Columbia definetly no. You are taking quite basic math with easy classes. So if you're lucky you might get in Cal or UCLA.

By Imanobody on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

I'd apply to Cornell if I were you. I think you have a shot depending on what you score on the SAT I. Yea, for an Asian Student, you are not as accelerated as most, but I doubt it will matter much. You have nice commmunity service as well.

Good Luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page