Rate me chances at california schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Rate me chances at california schools
By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Junior, SFHS (don't know ranking) Fresh. and Soph. Year in Public School in MA

Gpa ~3.8 unweighted, ~3.9 weighted, all A's and a few B's
Will find out rankings this year
SAT: Taking in March (expected to do very well)
Will take Sat II's in Writing, and 2 others but haven't decided which yet at the end of this year/ beginning of senior year

Honors English, Honors Biology, Honors Physical Science (required, but not in honors), AP European History (will take exam at end of year, A in class so far), Honors Spanish

Planning to take AP English, and AP Government Senior Year with Trig, Spanish 4, Genetics (no honors class available in these)

Will take Psychology, Novel Writing, and English 111 at CC (at least the english ones) in the Summer

High Honor Roll, Principal's List Awards
Academic Achievement Award in Karate
Academic Achievement Awards at School
Poetry Nomination (still pending on winner)

Key Club (11)
Natural Helpers (11)- just started this week
Karate (11) - 1 belt test, and other stripe promotions so far, on average 3x/week
Babysitting for Single-Working Mom (neighbor) (9,10) - on average 3x/week for about 2 hrs plus assorted days in the summer and over holidays, on weekends etc.
Church Retreat, and Community Service (9,10):
Sold Carnations on Mother's Day for Breast Cancer Awarness, Project that Helped Adults in the Community with Speical Needs, Walk for Hunger
Community Service (11):
Sundays Volunteer at local Children's Museum - organize activies, and monitor children
Planning on: volunteering with United Way, Habitat for Humanity, and Soup Kitchen also looking for weekend job (at least 2 of these)

Essay will be about my move across country between sophomore and junior year and how that affected my life, and helped me grow into a better person

Currently writing a novel - will probably take until summer to complete

Recs - one english teacher from MA already offered, said I am every english teacher's dream and that i have a motivation unlike most students for writing and learning

I am currently in NM, but my plan is to go to CA as soon as hs is over and go to a CC while working and establishing residency (1 yr) then i want to transfer to a UC school with in-state tuition
This isn't for sure..I know I want to be in California however, what schools do you think are reaches, matches, safeties? assuming my SATs are good
legacy - mom is a graduate of University of Santa Clara

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

i'm looking into a summer internship as well

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

haha i forgot something else, also a member of SAR (school of american research as of 2 weeks ago- they host seminars, etc.)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Moonsurfer - Just be very careful about how you establish residency. You will have to show that you are financially independent for a year---that means finding a job and an apartment and supporting yourself. Your parents also can not claim you as a dependent for any reason.

That said, I'd suggest that you try to visit the UC's and some cal states while you are in Calif. to get a better idea of what's available. With the budget cuts, it is only going to get harder to get into the UC's. Your best bet of transferring into one is to do two years at a community college, not one, using the very specific guidelines the UC's and cal state systems have for community college transfer.

By Peterline (Peterline) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

if you are planning to transfer to a uc school, it is two years for residency, not one. i think that the csu's are one year.

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

what cal schools do you think i could get into without resdiency?

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

ok anyone else?

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

How about the privates. They dont care about the residecncy
Schools i ve heard of- Loyola, pepperdine, USC, U pacific
Schools i ve visited and really liked- Santa Clara U, San jose state

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

oh yeah that reminds me, i'm legacy san jose state too - dad went there.
what schools out of the ones you guys know of do you think i can get into?

By Peterline (Peterline) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

it all depends on your sat scores. loyola, pepperdine, and of course, usc, are all very good and well respected schools. also check out university of san diego. its a really nice private school in sd and just built a new $50 million science center.

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

ok thanks for the help, what are my chances at santa clara u w/ mom as a legacy and 2 uncles (dont know if that counts for anything)? also i plan to major in business or anthro still undecided

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

? :) say whatever you want...anything will help!

By Otterpop (Otterpop) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

i think your chances at Santa Clara U are great; i'd say it's a match for you.

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

anyone know about usd, usf, or university of colorado at boulder as well? what are my chances at these?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

USD is a great school - if you do a search on this board you'll find lots of discussion about it (use the search function above).

I've heard varied things about the University of San Francisco, mainly that there tends to be a lack of available upper-level classes making it difficult to finish up your degree.

The University of Boulder is a good - very large - state university. You might also take a look at the University of Denver - a private school.
Another possible suggestion: The University of Oregon or some of the excellent privates in Oregon and Washington.

Other possibilities in California to look at:
Whittier, University of Redlands, Pepperdine,
Occidental, Pitzer.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Peterline - the UC's require one year of financial independence and residency. Here's the UC link detailing the requirements:
http://www.ucop.edu/pathways/impinfo/res.html

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

thank you so much for that link!! do i have any shot at these schools though?

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 09:19 pm: Edit

one last bump :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page