Chancessss

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chancessss
By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 02:25 am: Edit

Now that all apps are submitted, and second semester has arrived, I am as anxious about college as ever. Any thoughts on my chances?

Applied to: Oxford (Accepted), Princeton (Deferred ED), Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cornell, UChicago, Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, Carleton, Haverford, Vassar, Kenyon, Univ. of Maryland - College Park

SAT I: 1500 (760V 740M)
SAT II: 790 Math IIc, 760 Writing, 740 Physics
GPA: 3.65 UW, 4.4 W @ unranked top public school (sends like 95%+ to 4 year schools), estimated top 10%
ECs: Music (looooad of stuff there, alt. for all-state), Captain of Crew team, Captain of Frisbee team, buncha computer stuff, Rock Climbing, cool summer internships and volunteering, 1st Degree Black Belt in Chun Kuk Do, Competent Toastmaster (public speaking)
Other: Quaker Family, and we've had a lot (30+) of international students live at our house while studying english in the US - kind of a hook, all of my interviewers so far have jumped on it

Anyways, what's everones thoughts? I know my list is top-heavy, but to be honest I'm okay with it since I'm already accepted at Oxford... two problems lie in going there, one being that it's really expensive and sans finaid for internationals, other that its so focused (I'd have a masters degree in four years... but that's four years of doing only my subject... I kind of want more variety). As a result I'm really hoping I get into one of my top choice US schools (for goodness sake to be honest that is pretty much anything on my list except for UMD). Anyways, thanks again.

By Wickedsmaht (Wickedsmaht) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 09:40 am: Edit

Which College at Oxford were you accepted to?

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 11:47 am: Edit

Lincoln. :)

By Expataznamerica (Expataznamerica) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

Hehe, awesome, I was accepted to Exeter. Next-door neighbors. What did you apply for?

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Hehe schwing! Yay for Turl Street!
Speaking of Turl Street, while I was there I saw someone had scrawled the l into a D on the street sign on Broad Street, so it said TurD Street. ;P

Applied for Physics, the four-year masters program. What bout you?

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Back on topic, any thoughts on my chances at my US schools? ;P

By Expataznamerica (Expataznamerica) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Ah, "turd" on the street sign on the sidewall of Blackwell's Book store?

I got in for Law. Hehe, what a coincidence. Where are you from?

Anyway, in response to your question, I do have to say that you are in the target applicant pool for the schools. However, for schools like HYPS, it will be very difficult to predict. Gone are the ages of well-rounded students, now they look for tipping the scale-type students.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

You're good for all your schools. GL with pton RD.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Expata: Yup yup... Blackwells. I love Blackwells. It adds so much to the atmosphere... and I love the whole atmosphere. That was my favorite part of Oxford and I think why I applied - the whole city just oozes academia and intelligence... you can just feel it all around you, haha. I just got the feeling that while walking around the streets I was among Nobel Laureates and famous novelists and the foremost experts in every conceivable academic field... know what I mean? Haha.

I'm from Bethesda, Maryland, right outside of Washington DC. You? And, do you think you're gonna end up going?

As for my US schools, yea I know what you're saying... Harvard and Stanford I sent a CRAZY essay too, it was awesome, haha. Basically the kind of thing where I think that if they like it, I'm in no doubt... and if they don't, I don't have a chance... hahaha. Yale is just a 'normal' app basically... I think that has the least chance of the four of pulling through. Princeton I have ED on my side and EXTREME interest and basically a promise that I'll go if I get in and stuff like that, as well as activism on my app in talking with the music dept and the crew coach and things like that, as well as an interviewer who is awesome and really pulling for me, so hopefully that'll help out some. Like I said though, if I get into ANY of my schools (excepting UMD) I'll be exstatic, they're all AWESOME and I would love to go to any of them... so as long as I don't get, what is it, 13 rejection letters, we're chill... and even then, there's always Oxford, hahaha. Only prob there is I'd have to take out a big loan which ain't no fun... but oh well, I mean for goodness sakes its Oxford. If not for undergrad, for grad hopefully anyways. ;P

Mzhang: Thanks a lot, I'm still holding out hope, hehe. :)

By Expataznamerica (Expataznamerica) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

Wow, flying from DC to Oxford? Pretty hard core.

I went from over in Germany. International School here. American Citizen, also applying back to US, but Oxford provides quite a nice alternative.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Heh, actually I had my interview in New York City (only a 4 hour train ride). I was over in Oxford this summer volunteering on an archaeological dig connected with Oxford... the site was near Biscester, a small town about 10 miles north of Oxford. I was there for three weeks, and I got to go into Oxford and explore on my days off, which was aweeeeesome and most of the reason I applied, I guess. And I didn't pay for the flight over, the stipend from my internship earlier in the summer did. ;D
I feel the same way, Oxford provides quite an awesome alternative... hehe.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Any more thoughts?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page