Brigham Young University??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Brigham Young University??
By Nycstud (Nycstud) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

After much consideration (more like forcing from my parents), I have decided Brigham Young University is the one I must attend...1500 SAT, 3.3 GPA...do they even care about ECs?

GO BRIGHAM YOUNG!!!

By Welshie (Welshie) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Wo0t, another BYU applicant. I don't know how much weight BYU places on SAT/ACT but yours should definitely make up for the 3.3 GPA. BYU had an average ACT of 27.4 (1230 SAT) last year and GPA of 3.75. As far as ECs, they certainly take them into consideration (they have a page of box-and-check ECs you just run down). Welp, good luck- what do you plan to study?

(Just for consideration, I have a 1410 SAT, 3.813 GPA, top 5%, state champion in hockey, yadda yadda yadda).

-Jesse

P.S. Like you, I too am being forced to go, at least for my first year.:(

By Nycstud (Nycstud) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

I was thinking something science-related...that is, aside from the "religious studies" stuff...

By Welshie (Welshie) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

Math here... it was originally Philosophy (I met with the Dean of Philosophy over the summer and had a nice chat with him [we spoke for over an hour and a half]). Crazy stuff but man I'm ready to get out of CA, at least my section of it.

-Jesse

By S17 (S17) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Are your parents really forcing you to attend?

By Toxicity01 (Toxicity01) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Brigham Young? Yuck. I would never go to a religiously affiliated school.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

A lot of mormons go for their first year because they need to go on a 'mission' when they're 19, usually after their first year of college. After the mission they apply to regular schools. I have several friends doing this.

By Allibug (Allibug) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Yes, BYU does care about ECs but their form is a little different than most colleges' ... you just check the things you have done in school as one part of the application. I think it's part 6 but I'm not positive. I was accepted to BYU last month but not sure I'm going there ... I'm still waiting to hear about scholarships. I'm sorry that you feel like you are being forced to go, but hopefully it will all work out ... it always does. Good luck!

Oh, and Voigtrob, while most guys at BYU do leave after their first year to serve a mission, it's completely optional. Also, it's just as easy to go to another school first as it is to go to BYU. My best friend went to Harvard last year before he left to go on his mission in September and the school was/is very accommodating throughout the whole process. There were about ten other guys leaving at the same time. Of course BYU deals with it on a much more frequent basis, but I hope people aren't applying to BYU just because it will be easier to leave when they really want to go to a "regular school" later.

By S17 (S17) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

I do know people who have not gone to BYU who have had problems re-enrolling after returning from their missions. For the most part, however, other institutions are accomodating.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Toxicity

You shouldn't put down other people's choices simply because they are not your own.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Well, I'm only 16 (17 on July 17th), so my parents, as they put it, will "use their parental powers to make me go to BYU" for the first year (maybe first two years). After that I can transfer out, which I might do. I don't hate BYU, don't get me wrong. The fact is that I've lived up in Provo for the last 3 summers of my life and am a bit tired of it's routine-inducing setting. After those first two years of school I'll go on my mission and maybe transfer (I might transfer after freshmen year). I don't really mind too much going to BYU. It isn't my "first choice" but it isn't an inhuman torture chamber either, especially if I'm only going to get Gen Ed. requirements out of the way. Good luck to you folks.

-Jesse

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page