Average Joe...Where Can I Go?...............................

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Average Joe...Where Can I Go?...............................
By Kcg (Kcg) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Hi! Could you guys please rate me and tell me if i can or cannot get into the following colleges: U of mich., UCSD, UCSB, USC, NYU, boston U, boston college, swarthmore, vanderbilt, UC davis, UPS, and claremont McKenna.

my stats:
Im a junior at a very rigorous high school in northern Califoria.
HS GPA: 3.8 unweighted, 4.1 weighted(will go up-im taking 4 AP's senior year)
SAT: 1310 (650M, 660V)
SAT II's: going to take them in french and math
AP exams: french, US hist., environmental science, english, and biology. (These are also the AP classes im am taking/will take)

I also took Honors chem. at a community college as well as philosophy and got an A in both.

EC's:
Jazz band-2 years
CMEA(a music festival thing)-6
Odyssey of the Mind-2(won regional, went to state)
Close-Up:Washington DC(interacive government thing in DC)
Peer counseling-2
Peer tutoring-2
Basketball-2
JV golf-2
President of French club and a community service club(which I both started)-2
Around 200 CS hours at a soup kitchen and a hospital.

oh-and im white, so no minority.
also, if you have any opinions on where you think that I should go, tell them to me!

Thank you !

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 11:34 am: Edit

For the UC's, you need to figure out what your UC GPA will be - they will not give you extra weight for more than 4 AP or honors classes and will drop classes that aren't UC approved. You can find out more at www.ucop.edu under admissions.
If your UC GPA stays in the 4.0 range and you do fairly well on the SAT II's, you should have a shot at at least one of the UC's, probably no problem for UCSB or UCD.

Your stats are within Claremont McKenna's range but they place a HUGE emphasis on evidence of leadership - don't see that in the way you have described your EC's but it might be there if you present them right.

For UMich - apply early and you will boost your chances considerably.
Boston U - a good match, perhaps even a borderline safety. Boston College - a realistic reach. NYU - a good match. UPS - a good match, again perhaps a borderline safety.

Swarthmore - apply ED if it's your first choice. Otherwise, it will be a huge reach with your current stats and EC's. Vanderbilt is a realistic reach.

The only suggestion I'd give is to add one definite safety - perhaps another UC school like UCSC or UC Irvine. Good luck - you should do fine.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 11:35 am: Edit

One more thing - you will need THREE SAT II's for the UC's. Again, you can find the details at
www.ucop.edu

By Kcg (Kcg) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

thanks so much for your input! its very helpful! anyone else want to give it a shot?

By Kcg (Kcg) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

bump

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

umichigan- maybe
ucsd- maybe/ yes
ucsb- yes
usc- no/ maybe
nyu- maybe
bu- yes
bc- no
swarthmore- no
vanderbilt- maybe
usdavis- yes
ups- yes
claremont mckenna- no
good luck.

By Kcg (Kcg) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 02:44 pm: Edit

thanks! anyone else have any imput?

By Meggykewpie (Meggykewpie) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Chrisy why would Kcg not get into USC? His SAT score is right in with the average, and he has decent extra curriculars, and a very hard courseload. I'm not scolding you, I'm curious becaucse I'm not from califorinia, but I'm also applying to USC, and I really want to get in, and then when you said no/maybe, I'm worried now

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page