Chances for mit?????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chances for mit?????
By Danman (Danman) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 01:36 am: Edit

hello. i'm only a junior but i'm already starting to think about college. i would like to know what my chances are of getting into MIT.

SAT I: 1530
Math 2c: 800
Writing: 750
Physics: 750
Chemistry: 800
PSAT: 230

i think that's all the sat's i'm going to take so that list is final.

AP Tests
Calc BC: 5
Chem: 5

i'm going to take the ap us history test this year and i'm planning on taking ap english lit, ap physics c, ap comp sci ab and ap psychology next year.

at school i'm involved in the math competition team and the JETS team. i'm also in my school's NHS chapter and i recently joined my school's Mu Alpha Theta chapter, which is kind of like NHS for math. i have taken the AMC and qualified for the AIME and am planning on doing it again this year. i also do usamts and got a bronze medal last year and plan on getting a silver or above this year. i've also attended a stanford university mathematics camp last summer (out of hundreds of applicants, i was one of the 30something who got in), in which i learned about math topics not regularly taught in high school. i got into level 1 last year and this year, i plan on getting into level 2. i've also taken the japanese level proficiency test level 3.

concerning academics, my gpa for my school is a 4.5, but my school has a strange gpa system. basically, i've never gotten below an a-, except for in my freshman year in my public speaking class (in which i got a b+). i have always taken honors or AP courses whenever possible. i've received high honors for my gpa throughout my entire high school career.

regarding sports... right now i'm captain of my school's wrestling team. i won 2nd at jv finals during my freshman year and plan on placing this year at the varisty finals and moving onto counties. our wrestling team has won scholastic athlete awards every year that i've been on the team. i have also been doing judo for almost 12 years and have won state championships many times since i was in middle school. last year as a sophomore, i placed 2nd at the high school/collegiate judo nationals. i've also recently become licensed to referee at local judo tournaments.

although i'm not very involved in community service, i've done a fair share of it. ever since freshman year, i've spent time helping out at the second harvest food bank. also, i've volunteered at my city library over the summer and participated in a walk to help fund for cancer research. i'm also planning on starting to volunteer at a museum as a booth explainer.

also, i have legacy at MIT. my brother is currently a freshman at MIT.

hahaha my friend told me that asians have it harder when applying to MIT since there are so many asians there already. well, i'm taiwanese. will my nationality hinder my chances for MIT?

i think that's about it. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

By J0h (J0h) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 01:39 am: Edit

my friend w/ better stats got deferred EA

By M6ixty2wo (M6ixty2wo) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

decent scores and ECs, a bit lacking on the AP classes. I personally know 4 ppl who took 4 APs sophomore year, and are now taking 5-6 APs junior year. I'm sure there are more ppl at my school like that tho (school was ranked top 10 in the nation in the NY Times). Newayz, i'm in the same situation, junior w/ MIT as top choice. Good Luck.

By Danman (Danman) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 02:05 am: Edit

lol you guys are scaring me with the ap talk. is it really that vital to take as many ap's as you can as soon as possible? i forgot to mention in my first post that i'm going to take ap comp sci ab and ap psychology next year. but anyways, i would like to know if ap scores are really that necessary.

i'm just using this as an example: my brother didn't take aps until his junior year and he took the same ap courses i'm taking. i think a big part of whether you get accepted or not depends on your essay, because despite his lack of aps, my brother got into every college he applied to.

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 02:38 am: Edit

M6ixty2wo, please stop talking down to people. It's getting annoying to read. The scores and the APs are great. Some schools, like mine, don't even offer 5 APs so don't bring up that example of your ultra-cool friend so willy-nilly.

You seem like you'd be a great applicant to me, but MIT is crazy. Try standing out obviously, like becoming female.

Good luck.

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:34 am: Edit

WOW!!! i dont see why u wont be able to make it. Your test scores show you are mathematically intelligent even compared to other competitive applicants. Im sure u will stand out,, u know, also with your judo credentials,,,,,, I think your chance might be hindered because of a lot of smart indian people,, I am also applying to MIT but my chance seems not as good as yours, good luck!!

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:37 am: Edit

y dont u consider trying out for the Olympiad-level competition??

Im korean,,and have a lot of questions about college admissions matter,,,can u please rate my chance please?? "Once ESL Korean blahblah" << please evaluate my chance,,

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 02:41 pm: Edit

Hi Danman -

Great stats and athletic accomplishments! You are obviously very bright and a very hard worker. I'm sure your brother and his friends can give you more insight into MIT admissions than most of the people on this board can. I would like to make one suggestion, though. Your accomplishments seem to be very structured. A little outside initiative might be a very good thing. If you enjoy writing, library research and museum work, look into researching grants for the museum. If it's a small place, they will be thrilled to have someone like you helping.

You are also the first person I have run into on these boards who did the SUMAC program. How difficult was it? Did the professors do most of the teaching? Did the organizers have a lot of activities for the kids on weekends? My son is also interested in math programs, and busy getting ready for AMC and AIME. Good luck to you both!

By Danman (Danman) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

midwesterner...

first, thanks for your input and advice. i'll be sure to look into researching grants.

about sumac. to get in you have to take an admissions test which is a set of around 10 problems. you get to take it home to work on it and you get a couple of months to work on it (not sure about the time period). getting in is kind of like applying to college because you have to include your gpa, extra curriculars, etc. you also have to answer several short answer questions that are somewhat similar to college questions (what is important to you? etc) and you need teacher recs. the program there is pretty good and if high school level math is easy for you, the topics they teach there will be really interesting. all the lectures are taught by a professor who really knows what he's talking about. however, you are also assigned problem sets on the topics you were taught and there are counselors there who are usually grad-school math students and they help you out with them. besides the math, it's also pretty fun living in the dorms independently and away from parents =). hope this helps.

By M6ixty2wo (M6ixty2wo) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

I am not talking down to anyone. APs are not worth anything in most applications. Danman: your stats look great. again, good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page