Chances at Harvard or Princeton???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chances at Harvard or Princeton???
By Masamune22387 (Masamune22387) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

I am currently a junior male chinese living in Radnor, Pennsylvania. My public school is ranked top 3 in the state...

GPA: 4.42 (valedictorian)
SAT I: expected 1510
Bio: 690
Math II C: 800
Chem: 800
Phys: 800
Writing: expected 700
AP's: 5 on Music Theo, AP calc BC, Economics (expected), Physics(expected), Statistics(expected) (Yet to take comp sci, euro hist, and english)

Extracurriculars:

President of Math Club.
Captain of Physics Team.
Relay for Life, cancer fundraiser
Habitat for humanity
Several piano competition awards
Acedemic Quiz Team
Mathcounts student coach
JV Tennis Team

I am banking on math to get me into these schools. I have been invited to PCTM (state math competition) all three years, and I qualified for AIME both freshman and sophomore year. Because I only missed the USAMO by one question last year, I think I have a shot at it this year. I've also placed 1st or 2nd in almost all my local math competitions. There is also a good chance of me attending either RSI or governor's school this year...

Do I seem like just another good applicant? Or do I actually have a good chance?

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Hmmmm...What do you do besides study?

Do something that "opens up" your personality.

Make a new friend a day. Say hello to someone at school that you don't know!

Take away your Math interest and what do you have?

By Masamune22387 (Masamune22387) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

I generally focus on math. However, I do some student council stuff, such as Prom committee, class fundraisers, organizing dances and activities, etc. I play in a lot of music groups, and we go around performing for community service.

What do I do that opens up my personality? Well, to be honest, I really hate my school, so I'd rather not do so. But I try to do what I can to help my class...

By Shahab (Shahab) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

I'm sorry but that's not really too impressive for a Harvard or a Princeton...I have a friend who was about the same as you (minus the tennis thing and +-10 points on the SAT i dont remember) and he thanked his lucky stars to get into Columbia ED... for H/P to be "good" in their eyes means competing at the national level... so these ec's don't really stand out for them

i hope i dont come across like an a**hole but, to stand out academically in a harvard or a princeton application, you gotta be on a whole other level

By Aoe2guy (Aoe2guy) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Okay, before you go out and trash someone because your 1 or 2 friends out of the thousands of people who applied to Harvard was rejected, don't go around setting general rules for admission. Being a valedictorian can be helpful in the sense that if you stand out in your local district, and HYP each take 1-2 kids a year from your local district, your chances of being one of those two or possibly more accepted kids increases. I'm not guaranteeing admission, but just for your sake, you might want to consider the illogical nature of some of these other posts. I mean, you'd hardly ever see a post where an extremely powerful candidate wanting to know chances for Harvard gets a reply saying "wow, amazing, great chances" because there are many more unqualified responses like "nope, your 1600 is terrible. you made RSI but who cares because you only got a 730 on verbal and thats not good enough" Just watch out for some of these guys, and good luck anyway.

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

masa...Because of your statement..."I really hate my school"....You should try to meet a new person every other day and say hello to that person.

Without more, I can tell you that everyone perceives you as a "nerd" and a dysfunctional personality who only studies.

There is more to life than Math and books. Give your personality a chance to develop. Striking up conversations with people you have never spoken with before will improve your chances in virtually every aspect of life.

If you don't do something about it now, you will resign yourself to walking around with a calculator and a lab coat at some research facility and will have few friends.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

" i hope i dont come across like an a**hole but, to stand out academically in a harvard or a princeton application, you gotta be on a whole other level "

He seems like a standout academically to me. Vali, SAT's and all that...and I'm assuming most rig courseload.

What more could is there possibly to do to be more of an "academic standout." Explain.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

" Without more, I can tell you that everyone perceives you as a "nerd" and a dysfunctional personality who only studies. "

Give me a break. It could be very possible that he is not anti-social and the kids at his school are just ***holes. Oh wait, I forgot that high school was simply the pinnacle of interesting and friendly people. right....

Who doesn't hate school, unless you're little miss popular and have less individuality than my socks. Don't label people.

At least not straight away!

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

i think you have a good chance, masamune...however, your credentials look similar to 50% or more of all asians applying. just keep in mind that harvard and princeton (and other ivies for that matter) are reaches for everyone. best of luck to you.

By Aoe2guy (Aoe2guy) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

thank you, you last guys that posted have some positive sense of admissions.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

you have an ok chance. just try to keep your verbal/writing close to your high math and science scores, because it's definitely better to come across strong on both fronts rather than just another math/sci -oriented asian.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page