Good ECs, OK SATs, Low GPA...any hope?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Good ECs, OK SATs, Low GPA...any hope?
By Nycstud (Nycstud) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

I've already applied, but I wanted to see what people here think about admission, since I'm looking to visit some schools that I'm likely to be admitted to in more depth (i.e. sit in some classes, etc.). So here are my stats:

3.33 GPA (6 APs, rest honors, no rank) at a competitive public school (most go to top 50 schools)
780M/720V, 800MIIC, 770PHYS, 770WRI, 740BIO
Captain Physics & Math Teams
Went to Stanford EPGY and Columbia summer programs
Research all 4 years
NHS (National Honor Society) 3 years
Varsity Soccer 3 years

My Schools (In order of preference):
1. Yale
2. Washington St. Louis (suckered by the mailings)
3. Columbia
4. Rice
5. Cornell
6. Johns Hopkins
7. Northwestern
8. Emory University

I already got into IIT (full ride) and Binghamton. Which of these schools do you think I'm likely to get into (so I can visit)?

By J0h (J0h) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Your GPA is gonna hurt you pretty badly.
I'd you're comparable to a person w/ 4.0 GPA and 1300 SAT.

By Nycstud (Nycstud) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

That bad? Even considering an upward trend and the fact I was too immature to care about grades in my freshman year when I was 10?

Edit: And that my school has a really tough grading system (It's like prep schools...people rarely score 4.0)?

By Libsters (Libsters) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Uh you were 10 in your freshman year?

By Nycstud (Nycstud) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

yeah...just turned 14 :)

By Nycstud (Nycstud) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

bump or whatever...any thoughts?

By Libsters (Libsters) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

Sorry your GPA is still going to hurt you. It doesnt matter that you skipped grades or what not. Skipping grades is for people who are academically ready.... If you feel that you weren't academically ready, and this resulted in your not so great GPA, that's jut too bad and you can't do anything about it - It's just a bad excuse because then colleges will just be like " Why did this person skip so many grades in the first place? ". I skipped one grade, and being younger than anyone else ( while it looks impressive ) doesn't really give me any props.

By Nycstud (Nycstud) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

True my GPA is going to hurt, but I noticed JHU has like an average GPA of like 3.7 or something...what about the people that get lower than that? It is an average after all...and a 1500 is in the top 25th percentile for their school. Also, remember that very few people score 3.5+ in my school (like 5 students) and they take few APs/honors courses.

I failed to mention, too, that I messed up mostly in non-academic classes and foreign language (or I would be among the 3.5+)

By Subparasian (Subparasian) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

I don't think 14 year olds have the maturity to go to college. You better be able to write an awesome essay that conveys your ability to handle yourself. I think your GPA is not your greatest problem facing admissions.

By Nycstud (Nycstud) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 11:18 am: Edit

yeah I suppose you're right...I might as well go to another high school and do it all over again; and I'll have a high SAT score to boot...maybe even Presidential Scholar

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page