Once ESL Korean Twin Brothers with Now Appealing Scores

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Once ESL Korean Twin Brothers with Now Appealing Scores
By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

desperate to get into any ivy league schools for engineering. Ive been in America for 1 and a half years and now a junior in a military school. I was really wondering if there would be any advantage i could have in the admissions process as an international. For someone who's been in America for 1 year, my scores are really good, and i wonder colleges might give credit for such a big improvement.
I took ESL (easy course desginated for internationals) in sophomore year, and moved to regular courses after six months. I got first in sophomore. And in junior year, i am still first in class with the average of 103.78, (and my brother is second with the average of 103.34) taking all honors classes, only one AP class though, Calc AB (our school offers only 5 APs).

5 on AP Calc BC
800 sat ii math ii c
800 sat ii physics
800 sat ii Korea
700 writing
sat 650v 800m
TOEFL 653
Varsity Soccer 10 11 12
Varsity Track 10 11 12
Varsity indoor track 12
marching band 10
choir 11 12
Chess club 11 12
Korean Club 10 11 12 (president)
SAT club 11 12 (president)
Student government 12 (hopefully president)

i think the writing and verbal scores are pretty good as an international. Do u think they will take this factor into consideration? Please evaluate my chance,,so desperate!!!!!!!!

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

bump,,plz,,waiting for answers,,

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

-_- waiting!!!!!!

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

please,,,,,,,,,,,,,rate my chance,,,,,,,,,,,

By Aenema (Aenema) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

give me all of the colleges you are applying to...and i will try to "rate" you.

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Harvard (early action being considred, i know its impossible,,,,,,)
UPENN, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Duke, MIT, Rice.
im considering writing down on my application that i am going to major in engineering and change my subject to something that i am really interested in,,

By Sungwoojj15 (Sungwoojj15) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 09:07 pm: Edit

u shouldn't take korean for sat II -__- u will get in to corneell and brown
i'm korean too
i'm from bang bae dong keke

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

thank u very much for replying,,,i really appreciate it,,,,,could u please tell me if there is any advantage for internatioanl students with big improvements like me,,?

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

bang bae dong???? wow!! what part of America r u from?? i wanna keep in touch with u!!

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

more help, more feedback please,,

By Sungwoojj15 (Sungwoojj15) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

really kyakyakya i'm in NY long island -__- where are u from..... wow u are so smart,,, i just want to be just like u~~

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

Jaewoo...

ALL of you schools are reaches...even with your awesome scores Yale, Harvard, UPENN,etc are lottey tickets. However, I think that you should be commended for your english skills with only one year in the US.

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:11 am: Edit

thanks wjk!!! for encouraging me,,do u have any messages posted on this board? I'll try my best to answer your question or rate your chance. thanks,,,,,i hope colleges too give me credit for big improvements,,,,,

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:11 am: Edit

more comments, help please,,,,,,,,

By Shahab (Shahab) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

I disagree with WJK.. i think you are pretty much in at UPENN, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Duke, and Rice. The others, you never know

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

thanks,,,shahab,,do i need to improve my verbal score a lot,,,?

By Aenema (Aenema) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

asfd

By Kyle (Kyle) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

i think you should apply to some back-up schools that you might be willing to go to, just in case you're rejected. You're applying to some very competitive schools, keep that in mind. But overall, I think you have a solid chance, but nothing is guaranteed. (Although I would be surprised if NYU rejects you)

By Y17k (Y17k) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

i agree with wjk..

without some stellar ECs or awards, you can forget harvard.

you have about a 30% shot at each of UPENN, Columbia, Cornell and Duke

and pretty much in a NYU and Rice

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

Do you have any safties or matches? The schools you listed are reaches for everyone, even for applicants with stellar stats like you and your brother. Pick out some schools that aren't a crap shot. What is your prospective major?

Also, you might want to consider retaking the SAT II Writing. You'll probably do better on it in the fall of your senior year just because you will have had more experience with English at that time.

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 06:46 am: Edit

thanks everyone!! Ill keep your advice in mind,,thank you very much,,,i dont think i can improve my writing score anymore though,,,,,,

thanks!! ill look for some other schools for safety ^^

im think of majoring in engineering in college and then going to law school to become a patent lawyer,,,what do u guys think?

By Mochaweb85 (Mochaweb85) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

you've been in the U.S. for a year in a half.. and you got a freakin 700 writing?

you must be uber-smart.

and yes Im jealous.
btw, im korean too.

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

wow,, a lot of Koreans! nice to meet you ! hm,,i didnt get the information i origninally wanted to get. But, im content to get to know all of you,,

Can someone please tell me if there is any advantage only internationals can get over native American people,?

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

There are no advantages.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

who goes to ivies for engineering? that's just weird. The schools you listed (sans MIT for sure) are good for discrete mathematics.

By Jaeoo (Jaeoo) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

no advantages,,,,,,alright,,,,that absolutely disappoints me and also spurrs me,,,thanks!! i didnt know ivies were bad for engineering students,,,,ill take that comment into account thanks!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page