Hmm...Does the Duke postcard mean something?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Hmm...Does the Duke postcard mean something?
By Ccraider04 (Ccraider04) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

I recently received a handwritten postcard from Duke's assistant director of admissions saying "I read your application w/ great interest...the range of your interests and the way you have found to develop those interests with internships and student organizations is truly impressive...Best regards..."

Is this a good sign, or do most people get something like this, or do you think my mom being an alumnus has something to do with it? Let me know!!!

By Dadx (Dadx) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Its a good sign.

What do you think would happen if they sent these to a lot of alumni children whom they decided to reject?

Its a very good sign.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 01:05 am: Edit

this is what is traditionally called a likely letter. These can come in forms of handwritten notes, letters saying your chances are very strong, and outright early (like in Jan/Feb if you applied RD)acceptances. So basically all I can say is you are in.

Here's an article about likely letters:

http://www.collegejournal.com/aidadmissions/newstrends/20030127-chaker.html

By Ccraider04 (Ccraider04) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Thanks! So about how many people get these usually? Anyone else hear anything?

By Dreadpirate (Dreadpirate) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

That is about as glowing a likely letter as you will see from Duke, short of an invitation to interview for an AB Duke. My son received a similar postcard but not until around the first of March. Correspondence that he received from other peer schools was in letters with more content. Yes, he was accepted but decided to go elsewhere.

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

just a note (this pisses me off when people do this)
your mom is an "alumna" which is latin feminine. "alumnus" is masculine.

By Ccraider04 (Ccraider04) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

So what other schools do this? I applied to Yale, Princeton, Northwestern, and Cornell too. Do any of them?

By Ccraider04 (Ccraider04) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page