Do I have Any Chances for Columbia?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Do I have Any Chances for Columbia?
By Insntynonchalan (Insntynonchalan) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

I was aiming for UVA before, until I saw Columbia. The school is beautiful, and I believe my heart kind of fell out there. I wouldn't like to get too far ahead of myself, because i have NO idea about the whole college admissions thing, But do I have any chance at all? Should I even bother applying?

I go to emma willard school, in Troy, NY, we dont do the whole class rank or GPA thing, but my grades are almost straight A's. I will have taken approximately 5 AP's by the end of senior year, AP US this year, AP Calc BC next year, as well as AP Euro, AP Physics, and AP Latin, and possibly AP Gov and Politics, depending on what happens with my schedule.

I do Forensics, I've been an LDer since Sophomore year (i'm not a junior) I'm looking at around a 1350 on the SAT's, and I can write awesome essays.

As for More EC, I'm on the Triangle Lit Board, Been playing the Piano since i was 6 years old, and I do Tennis in the fall (section 2 champs woo hoo!) and Track in the Spring.

I don't have any community service yet, and if this is a very must, do you think that i should add some this summer?/

I spent one summer in France, and this summer I'm spending in Canada. I take two languages (French and Latin), that being what i want to major in.

The issue is, This is the 3rd hgih school I've been to. Stability is one thing that I haven't had, and I'm not sure if colleges look for that. My first was private, second was public, and this one is boarding. it was a big thing with family issues, but I am finally where i need to be.

Someone please tell me if there is anything I can do!!

By J0h (J0h) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 01:14 am: Edit

columbia college's admissions rate is under 10%.

the best thing is to do EVERYHTING u can, WELL.

gl

By Usnewsranker (Usnewsranker) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Bother applying, but don't get too excited...my tutor says they don't like people who live in New York (I don't know if that's New York City or state). Otherwise, your GPA and ECs are good, but work on your SAT.

By Mariellergram (Mariellergram) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

I know a bunch of people who got in ED, and one was very much like you. There are no guarantees, but you probably have a decent shot. Also, try applying to Barnard. You'll have an excellent shot there, and you'll get to basically do everything at Columbia anyway.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

my senior friend got in columbia ED with a 1400, a mixture of A's and B's on his report card, title as co-head of the asian society, violinist, and football player (not too many asians are football players so that could have helped)...he's an excellent writer so his essays must have reflected his talent for writing.

good luck! i know about the emma willard school...i'm very impressed that you pulled off straight A's...it's very hard to do here at milton. only seven out of 170 manage to attain an A average and only one has gotten all A's.

By Insntynonchalan (Insntynonchalan) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

thanks you guys..i've been feeling so bad about it...emma willard is pretty much the same way...it's difficult here to get straight A's..which is why I hope they will realize that it is a competitive girls' boarding school...Elizabeth Cady Stanton went here lol. Anyway...*prays* College couseling starts February! Wish me luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page