Good enough for UT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Good enough for UT?
By Octoberomicron (Octoberomicron) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

I am applying for University of Texas at Austin. I hope to get into the college of Engineering, but am unsure if my stats will be enough. I am fairly sure I can get into the university, but the Engineering school may be a stretch. Here are my stats:

620M 600V
115 of 650(top 18%)
3.55 GPA of 4.0
No SAT II as of yet, but they aren't an admission factor, only placement.
2 AP classes senior year(Biology and English LIT)
AP classes taken(US History, English Language)
Better than Avg. essays, I think
At least one good letter of recommendation
Texas Resident
6 Sciences:Astronomy, Oceanograpghy, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, AP Biology
4 English, all honors or AP
1st division at State UIL on Saxophone.
Band for 3 years, Jazz band for 1.

I believe my lower SAT scores and not having taken Calculus senior year may keep me from the school. I did take 4 years of math(algebra.algebra2.geometry,precal)though. I mostly interested in getting into the University, but it would be nice to start out in the engineering program, as I intend to major in it under Electrical-Computer. The avg. SAT for admitted students in the Engineering College is 1275. They have at least 250+ 1400's or more, so that must mean that many are below the 1275, maybe I can be one of them! If I don't get in, I will do an internal transfer into the program from the natural sciences school. What do you think my chances are?

By J0h (J0h) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

I say you're right on the borderline. Since your test scores are a bit below average, you gotta have other things to compensate.

By Octoberomicron (Octoberomicron) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

I figured as much. Guess I will have to cross my fingers. To add to my stats, I was captain of the Robotics team and a NHS member.

By Pgs1300 (Pgs1300) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

If you are instate you have a better chance. Ot state about 35-45%. Your EC's and essays could get you through.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page