What happens if I have a failed class?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: What happens if I have a failed class?
By Cjw (Cjw) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

I'm a pretty good student but I abhor math, and to top that, I went through a tough situation while i took the class which is why I got a D in Trig/Math Analysis. but other than that my grades are good. Do colleges let the D greatly influence their decision? Also, I know my overall GPA is a little low.

These are the colleges I plan to apply to: Boston U, UCLA, UCBerkeley, UCI, USC, Brown.

American Born Chinese female.
SAT I 1420
SAT II Chinese: 770
SAT II Writing: 700
SAT MATH IC: 650
GPA: 3.5

5 APs: English, Psychology, Civics/Econ, Comparative Gov't.

JV Badminton 2 years, 1 year Varsity
Founder & President of Club that raises money to alleviate international poverty
NHS award /club 2 years
SADD - 1 year
Key Club - 1 year
Model United Nations - 4 years
100+ Hours of Community Service
Great teacher recommendations.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Is your 3.5 weighted? Well your sat scores are really good and your sat II's but I think that D might really look bad especially at Brown UCLA and UC Berkeley.I dont know much about the other schools. If you live in cali you might have had a better chance but the UC's really dont like D's. You should have applied to UCD and UCSB they're are good schools and you would have had a better chance of getting in. well g/l with everything.

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

for the more selective schools like brown, i think itll look bad.

for boston U i wouldnt worry at all.

By Cjw (Cjw) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:57 am: Edit

Aww are you serious? That's awesome because Boston is my first choice. It's so ideal though.

and responding to Caliplaya, it is UNWEIGHTED 3.5. I dont know what the calculation is for weighted.

By M6ixty2wo (M6ixty2wo) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 01:06 am: Edit

boston is your FIRST choice? i would say that is the third to worst school on your list, beating only UCI, and MAYBE USC. Trust me, everyone thinks boston U is good, but thats only because they dont know anything about the school and the school has the word "boston" in it. I'd say brown is the best choice out of the list, then berkeley.

By Cjw (Cjw) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

What negatives does Boston have, in your opinion? I'm not sure what major or what field I'm going to pursue, but the diversity and the campus site looks all very appealing.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

the extenuating circumstances that caused your D should be well-explained to the school by the college counselor.

If not, send them a letter youself.

By Cjw (Cjw) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

again: What negatives does Boston have, in your opinion? I'm not sure what major or what field I'm going to pursue, but the diversity and the campus site looks all very appealing.

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 02:43 am: Edit

I think he's just going by prestige and being rude... Boston is a great school.

Example: It's like one of the ONLY schools that offers magazine journalism.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page