Ph.D or MBA?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Ph.D or MBA?
By Your mother on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 02:09 am: Edit

Which would be more attractive to an employer: a Ph.D. in economics or an MBA. I just ask because it seems like so many people get MBAs but not so many go for Ph.D.'s

By yes on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 02:46 am: Edit

definitely a Ph.D

By pranaboy on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 04:05 am: Edit

A doctorate in anything impresses me, but I guess I do not employ anyone at the moment.

By Jim Reynolds on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 04:31 am: Edit

In Business, MBA is all you really need. The fact is, with an MBA you could be earning nearly just as much if not more than people with PH.D's in other professions. Which is why most Econ/Business people prefer to only go up to MBA. It's the money of a doctor or more even minus all those years of school.

By Enron on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Ken Lay or Jeffrey Skilling?

By Ellesotto (Ellesotto) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

PhD is not to be viewed as way of boosting your prospective salary or obtaining the Dr. title or anything along those lines. You better think of it as your LIFE, becuase you love the subject and you want to dedicate your mind to it. Otherwise, even if you finish a program (which, without having this sort of a mindset, is highly unlikely), it's gonna be a complete waste of your time, and also, consider opportunity costs of being poor for a lot more than a couple of years. ONLY if you truly love (read as fresh, incessant, wild interest) the subject, only if you plan on working in an academic/hardcore research setting, should you think about pursuing a PhD. I've been there, I should know.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page