Chances at Upenn RD?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chances at Upenn RD?
By Jab23rox (Jab23rox) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

SAT: 1420
Math: 770 Verbal: 650
SAT 2's:
Writing: 700
Physics: 710
Math 1C: 740
7 AP's
Unweighted GPA: 3.94 Weighted GPA: 4.68
EC's:
Newspaper sports editor
Engineering club president
Individual champion Varsity Tennis
and many more

What are my chances for UPENN college of arts and sciences?

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

rank? awards? legacy? minority? other EC's? ap scores?

By Elfie15 (Elfie15) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

just wondering... why are you applying to arts and sciences instead of school of engineering if you are the engineering club president?

By Penn08please (Penn08please) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 09:47 am: Edit

Yeah, seems as though you look interested in Engineering and have good math SAT scores. If you're looking for a liberal arts education, I believe Penn has a almost joint engineering/liberal arts degree. I believe the normal required course # for engineering students is 40. The joint program is the regular 32 and you can take more classes outside of engineering. I'd look into. It might be too late at this point to request an application change to the School of Engineering, but good luck.

By Jab23rox (Jab23rox) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

White male, they dont rank at my school, ap scholar, maryland distinguished scholar, took a molecular biology/genetics summer program at Columbia U. and have a letter of rec saying i got the highest grade in the class on the course final, participated in a tobacco related disorders research fellowship offere by the University of Maryland Office of student research, I created my own DBQ for AP american history which was selected to be published on COlumbia University American History online, AP scores so far AP Calc: 3 AP Physics: 4 AP US Hist: 4 AP English Lit: 3, WHAT ARE MY CHANCES ( I dont want to go to engineering)?

By Wickedsmaht (Wickedsmaht) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:54 am: Edit

A 1420 for the SAT I is a little weak for the applicant pool. The SAT II's may also be a little weak, with an average in the lower 700's. Your AP scores are not good either. I'll give you the truth, you have a low chance of getting in.

By Dhonch (Dhonch) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 10:32 am: Edit

you're just as qualified as most other applicants. i wouldn't be surprised either way.

Wickedsmaht, 1420 is well within Penn's range.

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 11:22 am: Edit

however, not the range of top 70-99%

I'm sorry, but even though you have a shot at UPenn, your chances are slight unless you ace your interview/essays or have done something very interesting.

By Manowar (Manowar) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 11:30 am: Edit

If you manage to stand out in some way then your chances will be pretty high. 1420 isn't a bad SAT at all, it's above their average.

By Wickedsmaht (Wickedsmaht) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Yea alright, forget SAT I's, cuz they're within range. Now look at his AP scores then...

By Venustar7 (Venustar7) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

I think your extracurriculars are very impressive and you scores are really quite good. I think you have an excellent shot.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

You're within range and definitely a good applicant. Good luck.

By Jab23rox (Jab23rox) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Thank u all, much appreciated

By Penn08please (Penn08please) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

The average SAT at Penn OVERALL between the 4 undergraduate schools is 1400. The Average SAT at The School of Engineering and Wharton is slightly above the average, and at The College and The School of Nursing, slightly below the average. In other words, you are well above the 50% tile for "The College" at Penn admissions. I'd say you are very competitive with good ecs and good grades. Your AP scores are a little low for Penn, but I don't think it will hurt you too much in the long run. Good luck, i hope we're both accepted!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page