Do I have a shot?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Do I have a shot?
By Brents247 (Brents247) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Do you think I could get into these schools...
Tulane, Furman, Fordham, and Villanova, they are my reach schools (i am no genius)

1190 sats
four varsity letters
three clubs
top third of class
good recs

By Dumplingdude (Dumplingdude) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

i think you have a shot at fordham, nova, and furman--tulane might be a little bit of a reach. But 1190 is not a bad score. I do think that u should have a little more EC's--three clubs isnt a lot even though you do have the four varsity letters. I dunno-we kinda need more specific info-like GPA, positions in clubs, breakdown of sat...but i got into villanova with a 3.8, so you can't be too far behind that, if u are behind at all. Good luck

By Brents247 (Brents247) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Thanks I hope so. My gpa is 3.71 and my sats were (610m 580v). I was in student gov. and in national honor roll. Anymore input would be great!Thanks

By Dumplingdude (Dumplingdude) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

o yeah, u have really REALLY good shots at those schools then. you say they are your reach schools but i really dont think you will have any problem getting into any of them. you are pretty much above the average for villanova, fordham, furman and tulane. dont worry

By Brents247 (Brents247) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Really you think so, because from what I have heard villanova's and furman's avg. sats is about 1250. Fordham's is around 1210 and tulane is like 1280. So that's why I put them as my reach schools. However i am glad you feel I will get into these schools! Hope the admissions people feel the same way!

By Brents247 (Brents247) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

By the way, are u going to nova next year?(I saw u applied early)

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

National Honor Roll is fake...I suggest not using it.

By Dumplingdude (Dumplingdude) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

listen, despite them telling you their SAT averages are in 1200's, an 1190 at any of these schools is not a below-average score at all. Honestly, I dont think you have much to worry about. THen again, I am not an admissions counselor-but with a 3.71, you shouldnt have a problem. By the way, I am about 90% sure about going to nova next year-i really liked it and if you get in, you'll get to see how much they "care" about you. I mean, the day i got in, I got a phone call from the president of the school, who is a priest, congratulating me, welcoming me, and asking if i had any questions. I've gotten calls from proffessors and students as well and they keep in touch with my constantly. It's really a great feeling. If you want a really good piece of advice, show your admissions counselor you really care about getting in. I showed the guy at nova that i really considered the school as my first choice. I even told him i would go to church 3x a week after school to pray i got in (which i did, lol) but if you show them that you want it, you've got a excellent shot.

By Brents247 (Brents247) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Should I send them a letter or give them a phone call? I am not sure how to go about it. Thanks for your input!

By Dumplingdude (Dumplingdude) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

personally, i emailed the guy in charge of my region. however, putting in a phone call will definately show them that you want it. call them up, ask for whoever is in charge of your geographic region and just start asking a bunch of questions (i.e., how many years do you guarantee housing, what is student life like there, is it possible for me to get in touch with any professors from my major?, can i speak to any students that attend the school now) those are questions that show that you are really interested. then before you get off, just throw in there "oh im really nervous. XXXX University is by far my first choice..."

By Brents247 (Brents247) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 05:02 pm: Edit

Thanks, I think I will give it a shot. By the way how good was your essay to Villanova? I thought mine was decent but nothing to write home about.

By Dumplingdude (Dumplingdude) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

umm, well...my essay was really personal. it took me a long time to interpret their topic in the first place, and i was about to write about me agreeing with the statement, but it hit me the night before i was going to write it that i should be more personal. so i wound up writing about when i stayed with my aunt, uncle, and cousins for three days while my dad was int hospital having surgery for cancer. i thought it came out pretty good, but i am definately not the best writer

By Brents247 (Brents247) on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 06:29 pm: Edit

where did u find information about your the person in charge of your region?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page