Extraordinarily good at English - plz rate

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Extraordinarily good at English - plz rate
By Shes_Unlabeled (Shes_Unlabeled) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:49 am: Edit

hi, I have a weighted 4.1 GPA, 1260 SAT/28 ACT score, and very VERY well-written essays expressing my extreme passion and talent for writing. My EC's include activities that reflect this talent - school newspaper editor for two years/staff writer for 3 yrs., writer for local newspaper (internship), speech and debate team, etc. My SAT II scores are average 600-bio, 610-math IC, but I received an 800 in Writing, which also reflects my talent in this area. I want to major in communications. Do you think UC schools like UCLA, SD, and Cal might make this a deciding factor to take me over other students? Also, what are my chances at USC? (also stellar essays and recs for this school).

P.S. I also had a rare condition that I wrote about in my college essays (chiari malformation) that I underwent two surgeries for. I wrote about how these experiences built my endurance as a person. Would that help?

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

yeah they will

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

just out of curiosity- what was your SAT verbal score? but judging from your SAT II writing score, you clearly have a talent.

By Marrymeinaway (Marrymeinaway) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

UC selection index:

GPA*1000 + SAT I + 2*(your three SAT IIs)

they computerize their selection process
good luck

By Cognitio (Cognitio) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Just for the record, SAT II scores in no way correlate with talent in writing. This is not to put you down, just to give you a reality check.

By Usnewsranker (Usnewsranker) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

i agree with cognito...i absolutely abhor writing (the english, literary kind, not the science/objective kind) and i still managed to pull off a 770 in writing (9/12 on the essay) by taking a few practice tests and going over them.

By Shes_Unlabeled (Shes_Unlabeled) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 03:12 am: Edit

yeah i know it really has nothing to do with "talent" because yeah...it was a really easy test...but i was just thinking adcoms might look at it as reflecting my passion.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page