Average student for WUSTL, NYU, CWRU, UROCH, etc.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Average student for WUSTL, NYU, CWRU, UROCH, etc.
By Chen (Chen) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

I didn't think I'd ever do this because I was afraid my self-esteem would be too damaged, but eh, I'm curious now. I realize the majority of my schools are reaches, but I don't care.

Wash U (deferred ED II), NYU, Case Western Reserve, Johns Hopkins (hm, I don't really want to go...applied because I went to CTY), Cornell (kind of bad interview), Vanderbilt, University of Rochester, UCONN (chances at all for honors program?)

B average (a couple Cs junior year w/no explanation, but none senior year with a few As)

9 APs by graduation (tougher than average AP student here but taking AP Calc A and not BC though)

1420 SAT (730 V 690 M)

700 Writing
690 IC
660 Bio
640 Chem
620 2C

ECs - few, but some unique ones like an online magazine.

Chinese-American. Risky essay on conformity that I think is good.

By Ec001 (Ec001) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:36 am: Edit

hey I'm applying to U Rochester too. My SAT II scores are similar to your's, but your SAT score is a good 100 over mine (700 V, 620 M).

What's your overall GPA? B average could mean 3.0-3.5.

By Chen (Chen) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

No clue, sorry. My GPA system is totally whacked out. Maybe a middle or high B. Not like 88 or 89 or anything though.

Forgot to say...I'm pre-med too :(

By Meggykewpie (Meggykewpie) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 07:57 am: Edit

Since I live very close to Case and my brother went there, I am almost positive that you can get into case. Don't really knwo much about other colleges though (btw you are NOT NOT NOT average)

By Chen (Chen) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Yeah, I think Case was the one I was more sure about because I'm female and it's around 70% male. For the colleges I'm applying to, I AM average though.

By Shahab (Shahab) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

First of all, please do not judge yourself based on your academic prowess or lack thereof some of the sharpest and most interesting characters I know are high school dropouts or members of a Community College

That being said, yeah I think most of your schools are reaches, but depending on how they take your risky essay on conformity, it might be the deciding factor.

Care to post your essay? I have strong feelings against conformity and would be interested as to what you said about it.

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Yeah Case really isn't hard to get into... but what is your rank though (Top 10%? Top Quartile? etc?).

You might have a good shot at Case Western, but don't expect too much scholarships :/ since they base it on Class Rank and SAT (before it was just SAT)

By Chen (Chen) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

I was trying to compare myself to where I fit in #s to the applicant pools applying.

My school doesn't officially rank anjd tell colleges, but I think I fell just outside the top 10% last year, but maybe I'll be back by the middle of the year. But it doesn't count for anything, obviously.

I don't want to post my essay becase now I'm ashamed of it...:/oh well.

By Chen (Chen) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, the basic gist my of essay was that we should take advantage of having the ability to express ourselves, be free, and express diversity when we are trying to fight for these ideals for other people. My essay isn't really unique...it's just risky, I think. *sigh* I don't know what to do. I'm not really in love with any school, and I fear that I'll only be accepted to CWRU and UCONN without any scholarship (I hear CWRU is exp w/o them) and without any honors program in UCONN (where I'll waste away living too close to home in ugliness and desperation)...and it'll all go to waste.

Any other opinions?

By Chen (Chen) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:34 am: Edit

All right...some other things about me...

AP Sholar (worst possible AP award you can get)
National Merit Semifinalist (won't be moving onto the next round unless they do something with my appeal which I seriously doubt...so this title means nothing)
Went to CTY going into 9th grade for a math class
Honor roll of course
Unified basketball in 9th grade
Volunteering at a hospital going into 10th grade
panelist during 11th grade to describe experience with prejudice and crap to 11th grade class. helped lead groups in 12th grade with same program.
school orchestra and chamber orchestra grades 9-10

interests: violin, piano, graphic design, + standard.

should i try and get awards or something? like submitting a poem to school's literary magazine or trying to win some official graphic competition online? or maybe even submit some of my graphics to colleges even though i don't plan to pursue it in college?

By Meggykewpie (Meggykewpie) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:39 am: Edit

Wait, I don't get it. Why wouldnt' you move onto finalist standing for national merit? Your sat score is perfectly fine if you are worried about them eliminating you for that? What do you mean by your "appeal"

By Chen (Chen) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

15,000/16,000 move on. I called, and they said it was because of junior year grades. I wrote a letter to appeal their decision, but I doubt that'll do anything, but I did send them 1st quarter grades which had 3 A-s but there was another C+ from Physics B. It's sad. So many of those 15,000 don't deserve to be where they're at because they cheated and suaved their way onto those grades. Aye, woe is me.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page