What chances does my son have?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: What chances does my son have?
By Veryproudmom (Veryproudmom) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

My wonderful son is 18 and will graduate this year. He wants to go into civil engineering and has applied to the following: UCSB, UC Santa Cruz, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, UCSD, Virgina Tech, Michigan State, Univ. Nebraska- Lincoln & University of New Hampshire. We are Calif. residents, but he is very much considering going out of state. He has a great GPA 4.0, SAT's are V 480 Math 580, SAT II Math 560 and Bio 500. He is also a 4 year varsity swimming and waterpolo player as well as spending 4 years in a new program biotechnology program at his HS. What are his chances on getting into the above schools? Can you tell I'm new at this? He is my first born!

By Mexor (Mexor) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

UCSB ..40%
UCSC ..55%
UCSD ..20%
UNH ..66%

thats all i know...he has a good gpa but his SATs aren't that high. If hes looking for california schools try CSU's (california state universitys)

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

UC Santa Cruz is the best bet on that list.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

Don't listen to percents, it is ridiculous to think that anyone, let alone a high school student, can say that someone has a "55%" chance of getting into a college. Please.

He has a fine chance at all of them, but his SAT's might hold him back.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

Look on the colleges' web sites under the admission section. Many colleges will list there the average gpas and SAT scores for accepted students. If your son is in the top 25% or so for most schools, he has a good chance of getting in.

Of course, if he's applying to out of state public schools, typically admission standards will be tougher for him.

If your son is in the bottom half or so when it comes to gpa and SATs, the odds are not that good.

Make sure your son a safety school where he's in at least the top 25% for grades and scores of admitted students.

His gpa is outstanding. His SAT scores, though, are low for some schools. If he has time to do so, it probably would be good for him to take them over again after practicing them using a review book that one can find at your bookstore.

By Financelad (Financelad) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

possible chance at CAL POLY and its a good engineering school

By Culovv (Culovv) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 03:57 am: Edit

He NEEDS the SAT II writing for UC's. If he scores over 500 he will be in at all the UC's except UCSD, which would be a match. Cal Poly is a safety. GPA is pretty much it for the UC schools...

By Veryproudmom (Veryproudmom) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 08:44 am: Edit

Thank you so much for your responses. This is such an exciting time for our family. As far as the SAT II writing test, that is another story. He some how missed it on the requirements for UC's so he is scheduled to take this Saturday. We received the notification from admissions that it was needed and he plans to contact admissions at each and explain as well as send back the response in writing. Hopefully this won't hurt his chances. SLO is his #1 choice with Virginia being his #1 choice out of State. Wish us luck and as soon as we hear I'll let you know! Again, thanks for ALL of your help.

By Kingdvl (Kingdvl) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:17 am: Edit

I don't think UCs will listen to a "I didn't know I needed that SAT2" response. They get thousands of applicants. They also generally follow quite strictly December as the last month to take SATs. I could be wrong.

By Brownzbb (Brownzbb) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:26 am: Edit

I think he has a pretty good chance at Virginia Tech. I know a bunch of non-VA residents who go there with lower stats than your son. His SAT score is a little below average, but there's still a chance. Good luck to him!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Is the 4.0 GPA based on the UC system GPA scale or just his overall school GPA? That will make a difference in his chances at the UC schools.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page