Arabs = africans?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Arabs = africans?
By Theali00 (Theali00) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Is it possible for those whose heritage is North African (Morocco, Egypt, Syria, Sudan) to acknowledge themselves as African-American on the apps? Technically we are in Africa. Thx a lot in advance!

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

One girl in my class is north African. You wouldnt notice her as anything but white unles you knew ahead of time. I know that she was receiving scholarship offers for being African from teh start of senior year. It depends on whether the college asks for ethnicity or race, really. Since she is a National Merit semi finalist she has it made no matter where she goes

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:25 am: Edit

yes, in a theoretically "color-blind" society (provided you are not black, that is), you are an African-American. they may not intend the scholarships for you, but they can't come forward and say that you have the wrong skin color.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

North africans are considered caucasian when it really comes down to it (from what I know of colleges, as are many arabs). I guess some africans are more african than others.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Well I am part Arab(Yemeni) and Black (Uganda)...I speak Swahili, no Arabic (i know). My parents were born in Africa, never been to Yemen..Iam putting African on my application.

By Sokkerdude4 (Sokkerdude4) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 09:05 am: Edit

If you get that technicality then we should all get "Native-American" seeing how we're native to america this whole race thing really makes me angry. It shouldn't even be a question on college applications.

By Entropy (Entropy) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

Yes, a person who is White or Arab, but is native of Africa, can still put "African-American" on their college application because in geographical terms they are "African", and they are "American" if they are an American citizen. They have done so in the past successfully. That's why alot of African-Americans (black americans), are oppose to using to term "African-American" not because they are necessarily ashamed of their African heritage, but because it does not accurately describe them, or us I should say. It describes our ancestors, but we ourselves are not from Africa, but are of African descendant. So "Afro-American" would probadly be a more correct term to use.

By Ash (Ash) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Take the term African-American in the most literal sense possible. If they really wanted to restrict that box to black people they had better say black on it. If you're from a country in Africa and living here now, of course you're African American. It's really too bad more people don't check off the Native American box if they were born here. After all, "native"=born here and living American culture=American, thus a huge majority of people in the US are native americans. Way too many ethnicity descriptions are such misnomers.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

the last few times ive filled out forms asking for my race, they asked for "american indian" "Black/African" or "White/Caucasian" so you cant do sneaky stuff like that.

By Theali00 (Theali00) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

thx a lot for the input everyone, if the box says black/african-american, then do u think they're restricting it to black people only?

By Youmakeithappen (Youmakeithappen) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 01:46 am: Edit

What if u are muslim can't u put down u are african then? I consider anything afghanistan and west of it African. But since I have African roots why can't I?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page