1450 SATs... 40 IB Diploma... applying to top unis

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: 1450 SATs... 40 IB Diploma... applying to top unis
By Smellyjelly (Smellyjelly) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

Hi guys,

I am an international student from India, currently studying in Hong Kong under the IB Diploma program at a United World College. Here are my stats:

IB Dimploma:
40/42 with a 7,7,7 in my highers and 43/45

SAT Is:
710 M
740 V

SAT IIs:
760 Math II C
760 Writing
740 Physics

ECs:
MUN--- train the school team and conduct a schoolwide MUN workshop for 125 students

Badminton ---- I lead the weekly sessions of badminton and act as the coach's assistant. I am also part of the team nad have participated in 3 national tournaments.

India Experience ---- My friend and I have initiated a new EC, through which we teach other students about Indian Culture and have raised 2000HK$ for a NGO in India

CMR ---- A service that I initiated with my friend to help foreigh migrant workers in Hong Kong.

Service Trip To Laos ---- A one week service trip I organised for six students to work in a local school in Laos.

Summer Programs:

Worked as a telemarketer in India for a month
Took a professional course in HTML programming

Research:

Wrote a 4000 word research essay as part of the EE requirement in Mechanics.

I don't have any awards or honors because neither of my schools awarded any. Before coming to Hong Kong I lived in China for three years (hope this helps). My school is one of the best IB schools in the world.

I am applying to MIT, Cornell, Princeton, and Columbia as my reaches and with 10,000$ as fininacial aid. My other schools are Rice, Texas at A&M, UT at Austin, Lafayette, and Virginia Tech. Applying for Engineering.

Thanks.

By Sidster27 (Sidster27) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

bump

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:52 am: Edit

You're obviously a strong candidate. The one difference I see between you and most international students (esp those applying to engineering) is that you have a 710 Math score and a 740 Verbal score... is it safe to assume your school is taught in english/you speak english at home? I mean, a lot of international applicants have below 600 on their verbal and writing. Also, it seems like a great deal of international applicants for engineering have above 750 on math, which might be something tough to compete with. I don't really know. What I can tell you, however, is that I hear those reaches are TOUGH for internationals... Rice is probably a pretty big reach too - it is a very top school. Like I said, donno. ;P
Good luck.

By Sidster27 (Sidster27) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 03:44 am: Edit

thanks guys keep it cumin please

By Expataznamerica (Expataznamerica) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 10:24 am: Edit

From an IB school in Europe. 760M/760V. Also predicted 43/45. Lotsa simlilar stuff like you. However, I'm an American Citizen, from NJ.

I'm also applying to Princeton, and I do have to say that applying for engineering may be very competitive. Nevertheless, I'd have to say that you are in the pool of candidates in your reaches. It's still very much a crapshoot, no matter what anyone says.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

I am a strong believer that the deciding factor in most international applications is the essay.

By Psychokitty627 (Psychokitty627) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

I'd say you're probably in to most of your non-reaches, if not all of them... but the texas schools have to take the top 10% of texas applicants first, so you may get bumped off because of that. I think you have a great chance at your reach schools as well.. I wanted a 40/45, ended up with a 39 altho I had a predicted 40+... so I think you people who can actually get those are way too smart =P

>expataznamerica: where in NJ? I used to live in Princeton... nice place, although there's absolutely nothing to do and everything in town's expensive =P

By Sidster27 (Sidster27) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page