Our High school doesn't have valedictorians

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Our High school doesn't have valedictorians
By Everet (Everet) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 02:21 am: Edit

I think that it's better that way. If you're wondering who speaks at graduation ceremony...we have try outs to see who has the best presentaion and speech. Like 7 students are chosen to speak. But anyways we still have competition like who has the better GPAs etc...though washington state doesn't have weighted GPA, only uweighted GPA.

By Anduin (Anduin) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 02:25 am: Edit

So you're saying that in terms of pressure to get into colleges, nothing is different? I don't exactly see why that's a better system.

By Everet (Everet) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 03:08 am: Edit

our competition is fun competition. There isn't any tension really because we know nobody is going to be the valedictorian. If their was a spot for a valedictorian it would be much of a catfight and a lot more tension that would be bad for the atmosphere of learning

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:20 am: Edit

does your school rank...?

By Jangel86 (Jangel86) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

My school has no ranks, no gpa, and no valedictorian. The class president speaks at our graduation. However, it is a very selective math/science school, and the majority of students are accepted into the top tier schools nonetheless.

By Useatoothbrush (Useatoothbrush) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

We have people we call valedictorians (that is, usually the 3-8 people graduating with a 4.0 unweighted GPA), but they don't give a speech. People sign up and try out to speak at graduation, so it's usually some of the ASB officers and others who are outspoken and spirited. Usually this does include a couple of the vals, though.

By Penguin (Penguin) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

We have no valedictorians, class rank, or serious GPA competition, and only the headmaster and the people presenting book awards speak at graduation; however, the headmaster speaks about each graduate individually for a minute or two before giving him/her the diploma.

By Mcreek05 (Mcreek05) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

well we have valedictorians at my high school and there is no tension at all there are about 3 or 4 people competeing for it and they are all friends and having a valedictorian is a good thing because students will do better because of the competition also universities give scholarships to valedictorians and salutatorians

By Serdu (Serdu) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Ha, lil story. So my school does rank and have Valedictorians. I am ranked 1st, well, at least I was. The kid who's #2 made it his goal to compete with a lot of us and would do pretty much anything to win. So, we took exact same courseloads and whatnot... but do you know how he got through his classes? He cheated. I saw him do it many many times.
This year, we have AP Calc. together and I will NOT be receiving an A in that class at the semester, he will. He will have a higher GPA and I will lose the valedictory. All of our other grades are pretty much the same and I am only ahead by 0.03. What gets to me is not the fact that I lost(Well, I don;t know this YET for a fact); I can accept that. It's just he's known school-wide for cheating. Teachers either turn the other way or choose not do a thing about it. It bothers me that I do my work honestly, and I will not receive this award.

To work VERY hard and basically give up most aspects of my "fun" life to pursue academia, only to then have someone take my honestly-earned position, upsets me very much. I would be the first line to congratulate him if he just earned his grades with integrity.

Oh well, I guess life isn't fair...

By Musefinity (Musefinity) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Cool, you're from Everet? I'm from Tacoma. Doesn't unweighted GPA suck?

I think no valedictorian is a great idea, especially since we have unweighted GPA. You could be such a hard worker taking all APs and make a B, but the kid who keeps taking Keyboarding and getting As becomes valedictorian. That's literally how it happened at my dad's school.

Serdu, that's exactly why I think it's a bad idea. Not being rude or anything, but you/your school seems very hung up on outer academic succes. If you're learning and he's not then you shouldn't feel as bad about it as you do. I mean yes it's annoying, but in the long run you should try hard in school because it makes you happy, not because it makes you "smarter" or "more successful" because it honestly doesn't mean a damn. I have seen so many kids go from fun and genuine to shallow-faced pedants and there's nothing I find more annoying than somebody who thinks they understand the world better because they got the highest grade in history and know more about a text book. Sorry, I'm not trying to be mad at you or anything, I'm sure you're a good kid. It just makes me irritated to have watched my friends become like that.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

HA, I don't know what that is?!:) I live in San Diego, CA. NOT Washington?

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

i do not understand what the big deal is. i am valedictorian of my hs (1/258 w/ 4.756 wtd gpa.) i however didnt get there by working any harder than the others in the top four. i know that we are all students of exceptional drive and intellect, as well as hard workers. we all bring different intelligence to our school. our number four is a biology genius--she absorbs and remembers everything related to molecular biology, the human body, etc. our number three is a math whiz--he's gotten near perfect grades in every math class he's ever taken. our salutatorian had transferred from another school and had entered with a very high GPA already, she was able to sustain it with AP classes etc. myself? i am a history buff and physics "maniac," as everybody calls me. we all have talent in all areas and exceptional talent in specific areas. our eclectic mix make the classes that we all have together fascinating and worthy of our time. being valedictorian to me means nothing, because i know the other three people in the top four are just as worthy as i am to have the "top spot." it is just a matter of scheduling (i.e. #APs) and nothing more. i do not feel any sense of being "better" than they are, they do not feel as though i am "better" then they are because i happen to have the highest GPA.
however, in previous years there has been a lot of animosity generated between the top few students. we are all good friends in our top spots... mostly b/c we've all known each other for so long (10 yrs +)

By Timpcrk87 (Timpcrk87) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

The valedictorian honor is a great thing and should exist at every high school. I bet the stories about cat fights over the honor come from really big cities or from the coasts. I am 3rd in my high school and could not be happier. I'm from the Midwest and here there are better things to do than complain because someone is smarter than us. There is always someone smarter than you. Always!

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

tim i came from the midwest, yet the school i attended was very cutthroat and full of grade grubbers. then i transferred to a school in the northeast...the kids here are actually more interested in learning because no gpa or class ranking is assigned. graduation speakers are voted upon...the senior class elects one boy and one girl who they think have given the most significant contribution, academically or otherwise, to the school.

By Penn08please (Penn08please) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Yeah, my school has GPA, but no class rank or valedictorian status. A few of us at "the top" know what the "valedictorian" GPA is right now (about 4 people share it with me)-something around a 4.91. Every works hard to get their GPA high, we don't do it to beat out the person next to us. I think that is why the lack of class rank can compel students not to compete with each other. Students who are ambitious and want to get good grades to feel good about their record do so, and are successful. Students who are happy by their less than "valedictorian" grades, aren't freaked that they aren't in the top 1% of their class. They know a 4.6 is a great GPA and they're not trying to desperately defeat their fellow classmates. I don't know what it's like growing up in a school with a valedictorian, but I'm sure it's a little different.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

1) There was never any cat fight and never will be (I have self-respect).

2) I didn't tell the story because I don't believe people are smarter. In fact, part of the problem is that there are SO many students in my class who are way smarter and do their work honestly. The other part of the problem is that if someone cheats, he or she does that for a reason. How often do "smart" kids cheat? Probably not very much, as they have no need to do so.

3) Wo4567 said that everyone brings something different to the intellectual environment. YES!! Exactly, that's how it works a lot of HS's, mine included. As much as I believe that we are all equally intelligent, a part of me finds it morally wrong that the person who can himself THE top student in our class can just as easily call himself academically dishonest and a cheater.

What academic area does this person bring into our environment? Not much. All th other top kidsn and I get along so well! We work together in many organizations, we go to dinner, we go to parties, were all very good friends and mutually admire and respect each other, with one notoable exception: Somebody who does not have integrity.

I have knack for foreign languages and humanities. #3 is a Math/Science stronghold. #4 is extremely well rounded. #5 is also very strong in Math and Writing. See? These people have all earned department awards and top achieving marks in their areas, but #1 does not because the student IS NOT intelligent. With SO MANY talented people in our class, I can't understand why out of all of them a student who is academically dishonest gets the honor.

Can you?

By Mcreek05 (Mcreek05) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

i am confused as to how some could become valedictoria only by cheating. at my school cheating on assingments isn't that big of a deal, we share our answers and see if other people got the same thing (we call it cooperative learning), or if your chrunched for time you may just copy it, and the teachers know

However, how could someone cheat on every test, which we don't, if he just copies someone else assignment he wouldn't know the subject and would still fail the test, or are the teachers at your school really to ignorant to realize when someone copied there answers of someone else paper

By Serdu (Serdu) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Its so obvious! He blatantly does this right out in the open and it ASTOUNDS me that NO ONE does a thing about it. Am I on glue or is cheating now acceptable? He cheats on almost EVERY single test. I am not saying he couldn't be smart, but he develops the most elaborate ways of cheating and gets away with it. For Example, he broke in to one of the teacher's computers and stole a few tests. When we had vocab, he would print out the correct spellings and definitions of words in 6 or 7 fon, and then wore large jackets under which he could hide the paper to COPY. Another time, he wrote down multiple choice answers to a multiple choice final on a post-it-note and mamanged to keep it under his baggy clothing. Other times he moves seats to copy smarter kids. And other times he simply takes ut his notes (he did this twice in chemistry).

Does NOBODY see why this student does not deserve the Val?

By Excusememixed (Excusememixed) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

No, he doesn't deserve to be valedictorian. Cheating is never acceptable. Well if this person cheats now to get by, what is he going to do as an adult?! I am a firm believer that those who do wrong will eventually get their due...and a good due it will be....

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page