A Jewish-Muslim at Georgetown SFS....?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: A Jewish-Muslim at Georgetown SFS....?
By Benlaz (Benlaz) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

I'm a wondering what my chances at georgetown SFS are. here are my stats...

SAT: 1400 SATII: 800/720/710
AP Chem: 5, AP world: 5
GPA: 4.39 weighted, 3.89 unweighted
Class Rank: 40/350 -- most competitive public school in state
12th grade courses: English Lang and comp, German Lang, AB Calc, Euro, Environmental (ALL AP's)
11th Grade: hon. eng, german 4, hon precalc, ap world, ap chem, band

EC: president of german club, vp and cofounder of religious diversity club, student gov, band, x country, political activism, duke young writers camp

Essays: excellent... I wrote my personal statement about being a Muslim of Jewish descent and how that has led me to political action, founding a religious diversity club, and an interest in world affairs.

recs: excellent (i hope)

interview: excellent

By Neelg01 (Neelg01) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

I think you have a very good chance. But may i ask how does that work with you being a muslim of jewish descent? Convert. The most i think both have in common is Shalom/Salaam and not eating pork. And its very controversial but poeple think Muhammed may have been of jewish descent. Sorry to diverge, you have a very good chance and best of luck.

By Benlaz (Benlaz) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

Well, my parents converted to Islam before I was born so I was raised Muslim. Before they converted, though, they were Jewish, so I have still have the East European Jewish culture and features.

By Benlaz (Benlaz) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

bump

By Moonsurfer21 (Moonsurfer21) on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

i think you have a good shot, can you tell me where i can find out more about the duke young writers camp? and do you know of any other ones similar?

By Benlaz (Benlaz) on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:43 am: Edit

This link will take you to the Duke Young Writer's Camp... You should definitely do it, it's a lot of fun!http://www.learnmore.duke.edu/Youth/ywc/

By Nycdebater (Nycdebater) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

wow belnaz...thats pretty cool...what do u like better...judiasm..or islam?.u dont have to choose.i kinda think that they have a lot of little things in common...dressing the hwole i mean jewish woman should have respect for body..etc..blah blah...i mean there are a lot of things in common but when it comes down to like that major issue its like we dont believe in trinity but islam they recognize all prophets..i dont think judiasm does..but i maybe wrong..im muslim btw

By Benlaz (Benlaz) on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Yeah, I agree they're really similar. I've never really had to choose between the Jewish and Muslim religions... it was a never a question that my religion is Islam. I guess you could say I'm culturally Jewish, though, which is sometimes hard to distinguish from the religion.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page