Getting into UConn, UMass, Northeastern

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Getting into UConn, UMass, Northeastern
By Adr531 (Adr531) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

fresh yr- i took standard english and geography, and advanced algebra and science. i got all A's

soph yr- i took all advanced classes and even doubled up on math by taking algII+geo. i got all c's and a few b's. i also did cross country after school.

then i got suspended from school for a yr bc i was arrested, and i had to go thru a court thing for a having drugs(marijuana). i cleaned up my act and went to night school for a while to show i was still trying. i decided i needed to start applying myself. because of this, the DA dropped ALL charges towards me (even tho it was a felony), and he realized i just made a mistake. i was never convicted and still have a clean record.

jr yr- all advanced and honors classes including chemistry, us history, english. i got all a's/a-'s and a b in precalculus. i also did over 90 community service hours and did work at local thrift stores for school (not court ordered by the way). i also taught myself how to build computers/design webpages. i built a few computers and sold them to friends of the family.

sr yr- i signed up for all the hardest classes and have really been trying. next semester i have a bunch of electives too. i just took my midterm exams, and received semester grades that will be sent to college.
Chem2 AP: A-
Calculus AB: A-
Physics I: A
English 12: A-
Civics: A+

Before I got suspended, I got a 510M 420V. I studied like crazy and practiced over the summer at the library. Retook em, got a 650M 540V. I was quite shocked myself, and all that hard work payed off. My cumulative gpa is maybe a 2.9 because of all the c's i had sophmore yr and the standard credit in night school. Class rank probably 35-45%. My transcript shows a definite upward trend to where i am really performing and maintaining all A's.

Do you think I will get into Uconn (I'm in state by the way)? Also what about Umass and northeastern. I decided to pick Central Connecticut State as a good safety.

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

i also want to add that i have a really good essay (describe a significant experience that affected you academically) and i talk about overcoming my hardships. my teachers have said its one of the best theyve seen and my honesty and maturity really come thru.

i got 2 awesome recommendations from teachers who saw a dramatic change in me. they talked about how i seem motivated, etc.

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:41 am: Edit

bump

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 11:47 am: Edit

which umass?

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

umass-amherst

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

im a little concerned while seeing that the average gpa for umass is like a 3.4, same with uconn. is it really all about the cumulative gpa? will they make an exception to someone who has a 2.9 cumulative, but solid A's and a B for all of junior/senior year in hard classes?

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 11:58 pm: Edit

could someone please take the time to evaluate my chances and respond. i thought the question that i asked was pretty reasonable.

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 11:58 pm: Edit

I think it will look like you had a rough year, since every other year is great. Maybe you want to write a letter to include in your application about your setback and your current dedication. Good luck. I hope you get in. I'm from CT and know plenty of people there, they all love it.

By Chen (Chen) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

I think you have a very good chance at UCONN. You'll probably be in. I mean, all advanced courses is very good for UCONN, and you did well in those classes. I'm not familiar with the other schools.

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 06:00 am: Edit

hey, i just wanted to add that thats specifically wat my essay is about, describing the setback that i had, and how much ive learned from a single experience.

By Lebronathon (Lebronathon) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

you're in at uconn....

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

alright guys thanks for the comments. ill keep ya posted how everthying turns out. to the best of luck for everyone else.

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

well, today i received a letter from the university of hartford engineering school. i got accepted, and im selected for the honors program with a 15k scholarship. not bad:) 1 down, 4 to go.

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 03:51 pm: Edit

wat do you guys think for me getting into Florida Institute of Technology? Im applying for general engineering. does it look like i'm in there too?

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page