Something Im Worried About. . ...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Something Im Worried About. . ...
By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

A person applies to as many schools as he can
He gets accepted into a few...
He picks one...

What happens to the guy or gal that applied to one of the schools this person got into but decided not to attend? Would he not get accepted because they decided to accept this other person that in the end decided not to go there? Doesnt seem fair...how does this process work?

Thanks for replying!

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

That's what waitlists are for. If a school doesn't get as many admits planning to attend as they hoped, they pull people off the waitlist.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

And remember - most schools accept way more people than they expect to actually attend to begin with. That's what "yield" is all about - the number accepted who actually show up in September.

By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

but they tell u that ur on the waitlist or whatever, but when they find out if u can attend or not wont u have already accepted somewhere else?

By Exerful (Exerful) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

yeah, your deposit at the other school would go to waste. however, if you really wanted to go to the school you were waitlisted at, then the $400 or whatever isn't much, considering how much you'll be spending in the near future.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

yeah- i posted the same post before. Its unfair that IVY hopefuls take up so many spots at the the public schools but never attend it coz its merely thier safety school. They take up the spots for people who have low stats but dream of going to these publics

By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

yes! exactly my point....

i just wanna get into UCLA and all these IVY people are gonna take up my chances :(

By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

do u think it would be unwise to point this out in admissions.....u know "this is my #1 choice" or whatever? and i duno how u would do that but...

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Nah, they won't...if you live in California at least...

By Calgirl2008 (Calgirl2008) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Ok people, here's the deal...

If all the applicants who were "Ivy caliber" and who only wanted to go it an Ivy stopped applying to to the public schools, (in Melissa's case UCLA), yield would go up. It wouldn't take the schools long to figure this out, and then they would start accepting less people. So, even though the applicant may have overall lower stats, the lowered acceptance rate would mean that the same people wouldn't get in.

If you look at UCLA, they had around 43,000 applicants, accepted 10,455, and 4,257 enrolled. That's less than half. If only people who really wanted to go to UCLA applied, then UCLA wouldn't accept 10,000, they would only accept 4,000. See where I'm going? And with the UCLA deadline being so early, lots people who have intentions of applying EA to other schools still apply there, it wouldn't be fair to ask these people not to apply to safety UCs when they have no idea whether or not they've gotten into their first choice college.

Nobody is going to take your spot at a public school if you really deserve to be there. Period.

By Dohinc (Dohinc) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:02 am: Edit

well, they have to apply to safeties and matches, what do you suggest they do melissa, only apply to ivies?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

Right Dohinc.....kids who apply to Ivy calibur schools know these schools are a reach for ANYBODY....many highly qualified candidates get turned away at the gate; too many qualified kids for too few slots. These kids would be irresponsible to not apply to match and safety schools. They are not taking up anyone's slot. If you are qualified to get in, you have a chance. If kids who are accepted do not matriculate, then the wait list opens up. These Ivy kids will not take your slot if they get into their reach school. If they do not get into a reach school, they certainly deserve to go to their match or safety school as much as anyone who has that particular school as a reach for them.

Susan

By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

ok people, im not getting MAD at these people.......hey if i was IVY material i would apply to UCs too!

My only concern was about myself and how this situation was handled by schools. I got my answer, case closed. Thanks everyone who answered my question

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page