SAT II and its importance

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: SAT II and its importance
By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Basically, here are the scores that I have:

Literature - 660 (70%)
Korean w/ Listening - 780 (60%)
World History - 650 (73%)

I am taking: United States History, Writing and Physics. I truly believe I am a viable candidate for the Ivies in all aspects except for the SAT IIs. How important are SAT IIs, because I am pretty sure I am not going to be accepted with high 600s on SAT IIs.

By Dhonch (Dhonch) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

This is true. You'd need to raise them or otherwise prove to be an incredible student. How was your SAT 1? I'd say you need a 1400 SAT 1 and a 720 average to be that competitive in the Ivies. Which Ivies did you apply to?

By Welshie (Welshie) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Sorry for some off topicness but I think it's funny that your "1400 SAT I and 720 average" meets me perfectly (1410 SAT and 720 average). As you were.

-Jesse

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Well, I have been taking tests in the 10RS and have been scoring 1490 - 1550. I am a junior, not a senior. But, I have great extracurriculars - or so I believe.

Here are my stats: http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=xjay2max

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

SAT II's in the 600's will not make you competitive at HYPS.
Yes, you are a viable candidate for the ivies, but you'll need an SAT above 1450 and 3 SATII's above 700 (including writing) to get one foot into the door safely.

Your EC's are good, but I know many more people at "extemely competive public high school"s like Stuy who have better EC's and have not gotten in.

I'll assume that you're Asian and not a URM too. You therefore gain no boost via Affirmative Action, and you'll definitely want good scores and grades so your EC's, essays, and recs can further augment them and help you stand out from the glut of potential pre-med violin asians that flood HYPS with apps every year.

By Lonelygal (Lonelygal) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 08:18 am: Edit

hey what if the SAT-I is 1490 and sat2s average 660.....how does this look for the top schools?HYPM......and for top lACs williams,carleton,bates...colbyetcetc!

By Garland (Garland) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 08:45 am: Edit

Just as a point of reference, my Son had a high SAT 1 (1510), but uneven 2's (top three were 760 writing, 720 Math 1c, 640 history---average about 706). He got into Columbia with that. In our experience, then, the SAT 1 was more important.

By Eadad (Eadad) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 09:43 am: Edit

take a look at the HYP posts regarding accepted/deferred/rejected applicants and their stats.

i would think that based on this year's results, you would need to significantly improve sat IIs and get a mid to upper 1500s on sat Is to be competitive for HYP....your top three choices.

based on posted stats for brown and columbia your current stats would be more in their range ...

remember this though, it is NOT just about numbers.....the posts will confirm this,and being an asian male you are in a highly competitive pool that "on paper" look very much alike (see other posts about this issue)to the adcoms.

essays and interviews are very important at P&Y (they tell you this repeatedly at their info sessions) and i would guess at H (never investigated it because son had no interest there)....you need to find some way to differentiate yourself from other asian male applicants.

there are many excellent schools with strong biochemistry depts that are not on your list. don't focus solely on ivies (especially HYP)as top choices and set yourself up for disappointment if you are deferred/rejected from all three and then end up "settling for" another school.

look closely at wash u (among others) while you are at it.

good luck!

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:29 pm: Edit

The general feeling that I receive from the responses are that as long as I score within the 700s range for the remaining SAT IIs that I have, I should be perfectly fine.

Am I wrong in that assessment?

Thank you so much for your support and help - I study very hard for these examinations, but I am a horrible standardized test taker.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page