ARGz, NOW I'm nervous cuz of that picture...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: ARGz, NOW I'm nervous cuz of that picture...
By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Heys all. I posted this on the other section but it was unrelated so here i am!
I sent in the picture in my profile, many said it made me look stupid cuz it showed "I am full of myself". Now that i think of it, they are probably right. So given the fact that I had send in that picture and my stats, do u think I will be an automatic toss out?

Chinese Canadian, so intertional applicant...

1460 (660V, 800M)
800/790/780/660 <--writing ARGZ
290 Toefl
3.8 GPA (96%), hardest course load blah blah
top 5%? school doesnt rank

Awards:
-4th at Intel International Sci and Engr Fair, represented Canada
-represented Canada in Asian Pacific Math Olympiad
-qualfied for Canadian Math Olympiad
-for math contests, i've placed 1st, 2nd, 14th, 23rd and others in national competitions out of tens of thousands of ppl
-for comp sci, i placed 4th in Canada on Canadian Computing Contest...
-for sci fairs, regional gold, top project, made national team, etc
-for sports: volleyteam was gold in 2 tournies, bball team gold in 3 tournies so far, season record is 4-1 so far
-for robotics: Canadian bronze medalist
-other pitty stuff..

ECs:
-research at local U for 7 hrs/week
-3 varsity sports
-math stuff 8 hrs/week
-other smaller ones...

Essays: dunno, they r different
Extra stuff: research summary, last yr's project summary, recs from University profs, that picture

schools:
MIT, p'ton, Harvard, Cornell Engr, U of Waterloo, U of Toronto...

thx-peace

By Shahab (Shahab) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

I don't think that weak verbal score holds much light in lieu of your other accomplishments...damn...when i graduated high school, i was such a screw up they wouldn't even let me in the graduation ceremonies lol...i think you in everywhere except Harvard, MIT and Princeton, and even those you got good shots at...i would let you in if i was on the board of admissions.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Honestly, I think the picture was a bit over the top.

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

in what way? i know it's bad but plz tell me how so i may be able to send in a letter or something? i dunno...

By Penguin (Penguin) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

I don't really think the picture is going to hurt you much, but you can only make it worse by drawing attention to it again. Let it be. I think you're a contender everywhere you applied, picture or no.

By Tout (Tout) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Hey, I've commented on you before, so I won't again. But what picture are you talking about? The one with the Eye of Sauron on Parliament Hill I thought was quite clever... this one you have right now is still very nicely done, albeit slightly cocky - but that's not a bad thing. MIT would probably like a bit of self confidence.

All that said, I don't know why you think that the picture will hurt you. I doubt it will, so don't worry about it!

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

omg u heathen you took the pic down :p

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

:P
look at the responses on the other thread, noone liked it :(

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

bump?

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

uh?

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

It's true that very few people liked it. Put it behind you now; you have very strong stats and a good chance of getting in.

By Sokkerdude4 (Sokkerdude4) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:17 am: Edit

If you are going into engineering then that particular picture shows that you know what you are doing with a computer. It may not be such a bad thing.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 11:47 am: Edit

>>If you are going into engineering then that particular picture shows that you know what you are doing with a computer.

The photoshopped picture wasn't that advanced, but the worst thing was that there were elements in the picture that the adcom could certainly interpret in a negative light e.g. "Rise of the Emperor" etc.

This is not 1980. Nearly every teenager is competent with a computer in 2004.

By Y17k (Y17k) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 03:31 am: Edit

with those array of impressive awards, you should get into at least ONE of MIT, harvard or princeton...

but i think u should see a therpist to treat your condition, namely "check my post obsessively 24/7"

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

LOL...

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:24 am: Edit

buuuum0

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page