Orchestra

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Orchestra
By Tunis (Tunis) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

I took up the violin in my freshman year where I played in the standard orchestra for that year and my sophomore year. During my junior year I got into the honors Orchestra and the Chamber Orchestra. Will it look bad (yale) if I have a standard orchestra class for those two years on my transcript? Everything is fine...except for this!!!! I shouldn't have joined the orchestra!

Thanks

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 07:51 pm: Edit

omg... please don't worry about things like this. It's perfectly all right to take one less advanced class than the max number possible. If you ever do get into Yale, you'll discover not everyone drenched themselves in advanced classes so they could inflate their GPA sky high.

By Tunis (Tunis) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

This doesn't have anything to do with GPA, in fact, standard orchestra doesn't effect you GPA. The thing I am worried about is that maybe they will think that I slacked of for the first two years or something. Maybe I should have dropped orchestra and taken extra science classes (since science is my emphasis) or does music look better (from what I have heard)?

Thanks Again

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Please, follow your interests and don't do things to impress Yale.

And, frankly, following your interest probably would be far more impressive to Yale than would your adding another AP class or something just to look good.

Students with a deep, demonstrated, longterm passion for an activity are what top colleges are looking for -- not students who jump into activities only to try to impress adcoms.

By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

wtf

By Exerful (Exerful) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

it's better that you did take orchestra and stuck with it. if the school sees that you had to audition to make the chamber orchestra, they'll know that you kept at it and progressed. my conductor told me that there was one girl who dropped orchestra either her junior or senior year (i can't remember exactly) because it was hurting her gpa (the school had no chamber orch), and that was the reason she got rejected from harvard. interesting.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page