How important are sports??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: How important are sports??
By Vinny919 (Vinny919) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Hi, I'm a sophomore at a school in arizona. i was wondering how much colleges look at sports exactly. by the end of my senior year i will have been in cross country for 3 years. i was wondering if i should do track this coming sports season as well. im not particularly good at it at all, but i do enjoy it. however, my parents don't want me to do it because it takes time away from my schedule (which it in a way does) so how important is it to have sports?? any info would be good...thx

By Vinny919 (Vinny919) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

bump bump bump bump

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

My advice, don't do a sport if you don't want to do it, it's not worth it. The university of Arizona, doesn't even look at E.C.'s, but i'm asusuming you want to leave the state??

By Penn08please (Penn08please) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Unless your being recruited, not that much (top schools). Otherwise, I'd say playing a sport could help at some of the less selective schools (by less selective, i mean outside of the TOP 25). Captain helps though.

By Vinny919 (Vinny919) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

yeah im trying for probably top 25 or so. i mean thats like my dream schools. so no do track? cuz i wanna do it, but it also takes away time from preparing for SATs/science fair/ usamts/ aime and such. so no?

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:22 am: Edit

you'd be surprised. i played lacrosse and it's 2 hour practices and i thought i'd lag on studies. but it was something i really loved to do, so i did it anyway and i found that lacrosse season is when my grades just shoot up. it's a stress reliever and it keeps me focused. so if you have a real passion for it, then it can't hurt you at all.

By Tsdad (Tsdad) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:50 am: Edit

If you're not a recruited athlete then sports are considered as a EC. If you devote four years or so to a sport, colleges would probably appreciate, and understand, the dedication and time involved.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:04 am: Edit

I think they would be more dismayed that you randomly quit cross-country after doing it for so many years... esp if you enjoy it, stick with it.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:56 am: Edit

If you enjoy it, do it. Pursuing an interest (even one that you're not that great at) is far more important than is getting a few more points on your SAT.
Don't do an EC to impress a college, but if you like an EC, certainly do keep doing it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page