Comments on my scores?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Comments on my scores?
By 786mastaa (786mastaa) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

SAT I 1370 (retaking January)

GPA UW 3.77 (top 5%)

SAT IIS
WR 760
MATH IIC 780
USHX 750

APs-
calc ab 4
us hx 5
physics 4
english 3

this year- APs -
spanish
calc bc
stats
european hx
english lit

ok, I know these are really modest for harvard and stanford--- but where do you think i stand with regard to my SAT I? What do I need on the SAT I for instance? Assume my activities and recs and essays are STELLAR--just focus on my scores if you can for now. Thank you all VERY MUCH

By Aclockworkowens (Aclockworkowens) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Well, the SAT II's are alright...but to be competitive at Stanford or Harvard, it wouldn't hurt to break 1500.

By 786mastaa (786mastaa) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

thanks---ACLOCKWORKOWENS--anybody else?

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

1500+ and you can feel safe applying to any school

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Yes you might "feel" safe because you'd have been lulled into believing SAT's will get you in. The truth is scores wont get you in: focus on something else because you are technically "competetive" for any college in the nation.

By 786mastaa (786mastaa) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 08:06 am: Edit

so i other words Im not a complete throw-away for Stanford or harvard? I mean a 1370 would make them cringe---i really have to improve. Oh yah--one more thing- by taking the January SAT, wouldnt that decrease the amount of time the adcom spends on my app (what if they are reading it now--they wont have the score confirmations yet so will have to put aside my app)--will this hurt for admission?

By 786mastaa (786mastaa) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

anyone please help me out??

By Pakitexan (Pakitexan) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

jus curious, whats ur nationality?... i dunno much about admissions tho, i dont think it will hurt u too much to take the january SATs because if a college says they'll look at it then i think they'll give u a fair read regardless.

By Exerful (Exerful) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

i'd say about a 1450 would make you solid. depends where you're coming from and the kind of high school you attend, as well. always a fair shot, it's worth a try. :-)

By 786mastaa (786mastaa) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

786 allah ho akbur

dats right--muslim pride---im muslim indian

By Peachieva (Peachieva) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

it really depends on your definitoin of stellar ec's b/c I know people who have gotten in to stanford with a 1250 and a non-urm. scores on the sat 1 will not get you in or leave you out at stanford but since you're retaking do your best. their "random" admissions rejects about 60%-70% of 1600 scorers. Good luck.

By 786mastaa (786mastaa) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

well what was stellar about this person with a 1250>? by my definition stellar =

pursuit and dedication/ leadership in a select few activities-- its sickening to see so many people involved in 15 things--my xtra stuff goes like this-

President/sec general MODEL UN/Interact (a joint club)- i created the Interact adjunct, etc. --supplemented by---(summer 2003 attended a UN/model european parliament conference in Prague with undergraduate and graduate students from around the world)earned poly sci credit--conference was for ages 18-25 --not one of those crappy "leadership conferences" we have in the states-- + i got a full scholarship there--adds to MUN experience in a unique way, no?

Editor in chief- monthly paper (i sent in our homecoming edition, nicely jacketed--so they know that the school paper is not some crappy, rare publication)

Leader/founder of Vitiligo students- i have vitiligo, a rare skin condition in which white patches engulf the body in random areas--notice how im not "president" because thats screaming for leadership position--wrote essay on it

VP National Honor Society- head of tutoring services (no BS there)

Crew Chief Emergency medical technician for ambulance corps (aka in charge of ambulance crew for treating a person who calls 911...requires a lot of leadership skills, obviously)

there, five strong things---some unique, some which the crowd of 20,000 applicants will have

gimmick- i am a 2-dimensional design artist - work displayed in gallery in NYC--sent in art slides- won state recognition in art

won state recognition in russian poetry--fourth year russian student, other russian awards- applied for major in russ/east european studies (a muslim indian (fluent in urdu and spanish) for russian? rare perhaps)

Oh, wait, im an academic freak--need a sport? yes--

#1 varsity doubles player on tennis team as junior - letter earned

independent research in
1)epidemiology with dermatologist (my vitiligo)
2) Russia-cuba relations under Khrushchev (combines interest in intl relations, russian and spanish)

is this stellar? it has to be if i want a chance with my relatively low GPA of 3.77 unweighted-- but since i do so much, and spend a lot of time on my stuff, will stanford grand me leeway with this GPA? its still top 5%
w/e --thanks whoever...

By Peachieva (Peachieva) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

as an EA admit, I think your SAT's will not hurt your chances at all. I think the Vitiligo organization really makes you stand out, not to mention your other clubs and organizations. And your work experience in one of your areas of interest (art) is helpful. Also, the whole russian thing makes you stand out. Your stats and ec's are somewhat similar to mine except the gpa. I hope you wrote your essay on one of your VERY interesting ecs b/c essays are a very important. What did you write your essay on? Me-art.

By Peachieva (Peachieva) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

keep in mind that my comments are stanford specific only. besides retaking the sat will only help you at harvard since stanford's last sat date was the december testing.

By 786mastaa (786mastaa) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

I wrote about my fascination with airplane food--inflight coach meals

used it as a an element for my fascination with traveling, learning about new cultures, languages, etc.--people who read it said it was ME and that no other essay could get across my persona. Thats all i want, really. If stanford doesnt like it, hah, then they dont like me.

wrote about my vitiligo in a unique way--

*about SATI- i know some people who were sick or could not take the december SAT I and emailed stanford to ask if they would consider JAN scores- they said they WOULD consider them if they came in time---whoooo, im cutting it close!

so am i your defitinition of "stellar"?
Anyway- i wish you the best of luck in admission to the school- i hope in April we will be communicating over an ADMITTED STUDENTS discussion forum!!!

By 786mastaa (786mastaa) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

anyone else???? btw just took SAT today-- a bit numb, but free at last!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page