All Chinese-United

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: All Chinese-United
By Weidamengxing (Weidamengxing) on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

It would be easier for Chinese students to share some information about Ivys and other prestigious colleges.
Plz list ur name (better in Chinese Pin-yin)
ur stats
ur email
ur years in the U.S.
which part of China u came from

By AzN_Cowboy on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Ding Cheng Rui
State: Oklahoma

Freshman:
-=First Sem=-

PreAP-English: 4.0
PreAP-Bio: 4.0
PreAP-Oklahoma History (LOL): 4.0
French I: 4.0
PreAP PreCalculus: 4.0
Freshman Basketball: 4.0 (Yea, they count it)
Art I: 4.0

Sat I: None (Studying for it)
Sat II: None (Never really heard much about it)
ACT: Composite 25 (7th Grade, but I know this score won't get me anywhere)
PSAT: 180 (Yea I know, I really sucked that up! Hope I can improve it by my junior year so I can have a shot at National Merit... :\)

Clubs:
Freshman Basketball Team
Multicultural Club (Fresh. Class Rep.)
French Club
FCCLA (Future Career and Community Leaders of America)
Key Club
SADD (Students against destructive desicions)
Student Council (I'm only staff though)
SUN Club (It's an environmental protection club)
FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes)(But this really isn't much work)
Mu Alpha Theta (National Honors Society Mathematics Club, not really that big of a deal other than that I'm in it as a Freshman)

Community Service:
Crop Walk (Feed hungry children and stuff)
Help John Ross elementary organize auction night for Children.
Road Clean-Up.(Adopt-a-road program)
Helped organize Christmas party for the disabled.
Did environmental presentation for Elementary and Middle School children.

Talents:
Piano player (8 Years)(Play for church)(Composed a few pieces, but not much recognition)
Artist (Reflections Art Contest 1st place state winner)
Mathematics: I'm pretty advanced in that I've skipped Alg I, and Alg II and am taking an 11th or 12th grade class, but I haven't had any competition opportunites yet. I'm taking the AMC- 12 after Christmas.

Leadership Roles:
Freshman Representative of Multi Cultural Club.
(I know I'll need a lot of improvement in this area.)

4 Years in the United States.
From NanJing, in the JiangShu Province

By hi on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

"It would be easier for Chinese students to share some information about Ivys and other prestigious colleges."

What does that even mean? I hate all this Asian Pride crap. How do Asians have more information on the Ivys?

By ... on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Why diss the Chinese? So people want to huddle with their common ethnicities. Is it a crime? If you hate it so much, why even bother posting? go somewhere else.

By Weidamengxing (Weidamengxing) on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

dude, we don't have MORE information. Just thought that we might share some experiences.
Meng Xing (last name first, first name last)
SATI 650v, 800m
SATII 800,780,540
6 APs, 4 5s.
GPA 3.6uw, 4.47w 13%
weidamengxing@yahoo.com
2.5 years
Beijing

By o_O on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Lin Hen Shi
SATI 790 V, 760 M (not typical, is it O_o)
SAT II 800, 790, 780 , 770 ,700 (Chinese, Math IIC, Physics, Writing, Spanish)
4 AP's taken, only 2 5's :(
GPA 4.0 (high school, 2 different colleges)
11 years in america
Taiwan

azn cowboy - my friend's name is rui too :O) wu rui though

By o_O on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

oh yeah, PSAT 234

By 21st Century Digital Boy on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Well I'm Chinese, but not from the mainland. I'm Chinese American. My mom is Cantonese and my dad is Hangzhounese.

By dsz on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 12:55 am: Edit

Hope my info could help some of my fellow Chinese :-)

Du Song Zi ( dusongzi(at)mit.edu )
mainland (Xiamen), California, 6 years at USA
SAT I (V/M): 680/740, 620/800 (conservation of verbal and math :-)
SAT II (Math IIC, Physics, Writing, Chinese): 800, 770, 670, 800
USACO 2001 finalist, USAMO 2001 qualifier, 2002 RSI (any rickoid reading this? :-), Siemens-Westinghouse 2002-03 semifinalist
Bad grades at school, 5 or 6 ap's, etc...

Got into MIT early, applying to some other schools, hunting for money (scholarship, financial aid, etc...) everywhere...

By dsz on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 12:57 am: Edit

Sorry, my email is songzidu(at)mit.edu, not dusongzi(at)mit.edu

By Amazing on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 03:13 pm: Edit

Can I ask you guys a question? I hate to be stereotypical but why are you Chinese kids so damn smart? It seems that no matter where anyone goes to school, it's always the Chinese kids who excel in school. My high school as a matter of fact had 6 years of Chinese valedictorians starting from 97 till now. This year our number spot spot also belongs to a Chinese kid. Seriously what's the secret? Is it your parents? Culture? I'd like to know because my life is very academic and I'd love to push my kids to your guys level of academic success.

By Flattering on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Amazing,

LOL I must say I'm quite flattered by your comments. There are really no secrets to our academic success. AS you know Chinese parents tend to be insanely strict when it comes to school. Chinese people believe in Confucian ethics which preaches education is the key to a prosperous and successful future. Most Chinese people love their kids more than life, so they want nothing but the most prosperous and successful futures for their kids. Mix that altogether and you get academic success among Chinese students.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

in addition to what Flattering posted, asians are also very materialistic as a culture. they like money. due to their materialistic nature, they are also very concerned with "reputation," esp. what school their kid is going to. a lot of this pressure is just for a status thing. i'm glad my parents don't pressure me like that. and i'm smart enough to realize i don't need to blow $160k on undergrad to have a "successful future."

By Burberry (Burberry) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

oh, and i'm asian so don't be calling me a "racist" or whatever crap a lot of ppl on this board like to pull from their righteous asses.

By Flattering on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Burberry,

I agree completely. Another thing most Asian parents love to do, especially Chinese and Koreans is comparing their kids to someone else's. Chinese parents also like to compliment someone else by saying their kid is not as good as someone else's. "Oh you're son is so much smarter than mine, your son is at Princeton and mine is only at Columbia" and such and such.

By Not a perfect 10 on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Burberry and Flattering,

I agree completely with your statements. As a Chinese-American senior, I find the college admissions process to be very stressful with many of these near-perfect Asians. I don't have very outstanding scores, which leads my parents to pressure me even more. I have been subjected time and time again to the lecture of "look at the son of my Asian colleagues, why can't you measure up to them?" In my opinion this is a burden that is mostly being put upon Asians.

Another point that I agree with is Burberry's point about spending $160k on undergrad study. It's not where you go but how you utilize the experience. A poor student will fail no matter where the circumstances, whereas a very gifted student will excel, regardless of the environment. One cannot also forget the role graduate schools play, as that is where the "successful futures" are truly begun to be cultivated.

By Sar (Sar) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

I wonder if I'll do that to my children too when I grow up.

I wonder if I'll even have kids when I grow up. If I grow up. My parents seem to have never grown up.

Anyway.
Zh*u, F*ng (heh. call me duoduo.)
Shanghai (forgot which province, if there ever was one)--> NYC (sob)

here for 13 years

1510 sat1 (sobs) 760m 750v
sat2writing 800
sat2mathic 790
sat2bioE 760
act 34
1 ap biology: 5
only two others, physics b and calculus ab. (i figured i should take the harder ones in college. sobsobsob. too late to take more now.)
gpa: i think it's around 95.
took honors/advanced classes instead of aps.
no rank in my school. public NYC school, one of the big three.

dull ECs, lower than average self-confidence.

sarephina8224@hotmail.com

By didididi on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 12:05 am: Edit

I am Chinese, and I would like to remind everyone here that Chinese is not the most academically successful ethnic group in America; the American Jews are...

By Burberry (Burberry) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 12:09 am: Edit

i partially agree to that statement. and i would also like to add that much of their success can be attributed to the support they give each other as a race, unlike Chinese who may whine and moan at home, but do not come together and act in society. but that is just a broad generalization... of course many do, that's why the OCA exists and other Asian organizations. just not enough, as compared to the Jewish. kudos to them.

By Flattering on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

Not a perfect 10,

Don't feel so stressed man. Being Chinese doesn't hurt your chances, it just won't help you that's all. What are your stats like anyways?

By Flattering on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 12:36 am: Edit

Chinese people tend to be proud, they're just more selfish than they are proud.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

Exactly why I've decided not to date Chinese guys anymore... who can put up with those in-laws? =P Good thing I'm also half Korean. Or is that a bad thing? lol

By selfish or not you decide on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

Chinese people are not selfish, you are selfish (isn't that obvious?) Now let's all shut the f--- up unless someone likes to post his/her stats, ok?

By hi on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 01:29 am: Edit

I'm Jewish. My dad told me freshman year that I had to get all A's. He's never really bugged me though, even though i haven't gotten ALL a's. He never knows my homework or if i'm doing it. He got me an English tutor and SAT tutor, but never pressured me.

How much do your parents pressure you? Do they check on your homework load and tell you certain hours are for homework only?

By Amazing on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 05:41 am: Edit

Chinese kids tend to do well academically everywhere not just in the U.S. In fact, check the history of the International Mathematics/Science Olympiad. China is always either number one or atleast grabbing one of the top ten spots as are other countries with Chinese majorities like Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore. Heck even in countries like Malaysia and Indonesia where the Chinese are a minority, they are being represented heavily in the academic community (check the special quotas in Malaysian universities targeting Chinese specifically and also don't even get me started on the Lowell incident). Also in this years Math Olympiad, USA ranked third and the majority of the students representing them were Chinese American kids. The students who represented Malaysia and Indonesia were also mostly Chinese kids.

By MisanthropI Lover on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 08:28 am: Edit

Ok,here we go. I'm a Chinese and I have NEVER been to USA. I'm applying to American schools as an international student. Best luck to you all.

680v/800m retaking
760wri 800iic 790phy
top3% NO AP OFFERED

By Weidamengxing (Weidamengxing) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 01:49 pm: Edit

misanthrop, where are u from? did u go to XinDongFang and took their GRE prep course?

By MisanthropI Lover on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 02:13 pm: Edit

aim: misanthropilover

yea i did went to new oriental at the beginning of my preparation, it was...not bad

By Newbie on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Another point: Chinese Americans who come to the US are often in the upper ecomonic-social status of the country. They are not rich compared to Americans, but are well off in their native land. Many people arrive with student visas (which is a very impressive achievement in itself, because so few people in China go to college); they are educated, and are also fueled with the immigrant mentality to work hard and earn their survival. In a sense, many US immigrants are among the 'best educated' out of China's population. However, it is dangerous to characterize all Asians as 'smart,' just as it wrong to place a stereotype on any group. For example, inner city asian kids are often part of gangs; some fail in school and drop out. Others are involved with drugs and crime.

Finally, I would like to clear the misconception that all Chinese parents are controlling and obssessive. My parents respect my freedom and allow me to pursue my dreams as I see fit. They talk about their past to show me that they understand who I am. They never compare me with another student. They are not obsessed with materialism, but they do admit that big names can open some doors.

Please post if someone shares my experience with Asian parents.

By Jiangsong Chen on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Wow Newbie, I wish my parents see things like that. My Chinese parents frowned when I got a 1400 on my SAT's. They thought it was good but they were hoping for higher, like around a high 1400's/low 1500's. Can't say I share the same experience with your parents because mine are more of the traditional Chinese parents.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 07:57 pm: Edit

ridiculous.

By ding ding ding here comes the shitmobile on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

"Can't say I share the same experience with your parents because mine are more of the traditional Chinese parents."
Traditional? No, your parents are the type of Chinese parents that are full of sh*ts. Traditional Chinese parents worry more about producing sons/daughters who would be selfless and truely contribute to society.

"ridiculous"
What is ridiculous?

By HAHA on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Well then I guess alotta Chinese parents are full of sh*t.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

ding dong, i wish i could agree with you about how "Traditional Chinese parents worry more about producing sons/daughters who would be selfless and truely contribute to society."
but in my experience, most of my Chinese friends' parents fall under Jiangsong's definition of the "traditional Chinese parent," the sh*theads. Mine are different because they never actually went to college and we're doing fine. Unlike many (American) Asian families, mine has realized that it's possible to be happy without money and "status." (what a surprise!)
...and it's really about who you are as a person. I really wish more Chinese people contributed to society and strived to be selfless, but most of the ones I have encountered are pretty much the opposite. Their "selfless" acts of community service are used to build their resumes so they can go off spending $160K into whatever pretentious school they hope to gain admission to. Maybe after first/second generation high pressure Asian immigrant families dwindle, future generation Asians will raise their families with the "selfless/contribute to society" ideal rather than the "selfish/take as much as possible from society" ideal that most currently seem to be raised under.

By Not a perfect 10 on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Flattering, thanks for the feedback. I'm not really too stressed out, i'm just irked at the additional pressure of stacking against other Asians who seem to be perfect academically. I can't be mad at my stats but don't have too much of a chance at Duke or Stanford. Well you asked for my stats:

Chinese (Cantonese)/ Vietnamese
Chicago, IL
1350 SAT (710 V, 640 M)
31 ACT

SAT II: Math IIc: 670, Physics: 660, Writing: 550 (Retaking Writing in January, I know I can do better)

Rank: 36 out of 430 at a very competitive public school (GPA: 4.5)
AP: Chemistry (5), Physics B (3), English Composition (3), Currently taking Psychology, Calculus AB, and Eng. Literature

EC's: Marching Band & Jazz Band (saxophone), 4 year soccer player (2 yr Varsity; Most Improved Player Award), President of Asian American Club (largest club at school w/ 200 members), danced in "Latinos Unidos" club annual assembly (Bachata, Cumbia, Tango), Youth Representative in Church Official Board, Kitchen Assistant at Church, Know Your Heritage Bowl Team Captain, Working a job as School Bus Monitor for 7th and 8th graders attending the high school "gifted" program

Voted Homecoming King and Class Clown of Senior Class

By Gamer on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

Okay seriously enough about Chinese parents. This post was originally about Chinese students stats, post away

By Jiangsong Chen on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 12:46 am: Edit

So Chinese parents want the best out of their kids? So what? Can you blame them? Not that I always agree with them but I do realize what they're doing and why they're doing it. I highly doubt this will ever finish off in a generation because the Confucianist idea that you can only get ahead in this world through education has been practiced by Chinese for thousands of years.

By Gamer on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

Okay here's an even better idea. To all the Chinese kids who got into the top schools in the nation, post your stats (Obviously you have to be special and amazing considering that AA has worked against you so by all means post them).

By ding ding ding here comes the shitmobile on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:34 am: Edit

Jiangsong Chen, please repeat after me,
"My parents are full of sh*ts. F--- them; I need to live my life."
This will get you into Harvard; at least it got me into Harvard.

And come on, Confucianist idea is more about being a selfless, responsible person in society, though it does place educated person in the highest social hierarchy. I guess your sh*tty parents missed the first part.

By Fish (Fish) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Hah. I like this. Bump. Keep it going. I don't get much of this in SC.

US - 10 yrs
Shanghai, China
Parents - Foreign language teachers at Shanghai Int. Studies U. - anal, strict, clueless; the above posts contribute accurately.
1520 I
3.95 unweighted gpa
740, 690, 650, II lit, bio, writing
SC Governor's School for the Arts and Humanities, piano - jr sr years.
Soccer, MUN, track

Yes, most of the Chinese I've encountered, which is very few, do need to find a life. By this I mean see beyond their everyday experiences as above mentioned - studying, studying, chores, studying. Course, I'm not exactly stellar for a Chinese, my opinion is therefore most likely null.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:01 pm: Edit

i agree with you, Fish. in arizona, there aren't many either and the few i've encountered are exactly as you've described. i need to meet more people lol

By I understand your frustrations on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Chinese kids may be overachievers in school, but they spend nearly all their time studying. I rarely find any Chinese students who actually have a life (and playing the piano/violin/chess or being involved in a academic club at school doesn't count.) I understand how some of you would be upset at your parents, alot of times I disagree with them as well. They do mean well but sometimes they are so clueless. Anyways I think it would be cool if Chinese kids do well in school as do well in socializing. Also it would much greater if Chinese parents allowed their kids to pursue other career interests outside the usual business, engineering, medicine or even law.

By I understand your frustrations on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Anyways here are some funny stereotypes of Chinese kids:

How to be a Perfect Chinese Parent (from the second generation perspective)

1. Be a little more lenient on the 7PM curfew.
2. Don't ask where the other point went when your child comes home with a 99 point grade on his/her report card.
3. Don't "ai-yoh" loudly at your kid's dress habits.
4. Don't blatantly hint about the merits of Hah-phoo (Harvard), Yale-uh (Yale), Stan-phoo (Stanford), and Emeh-I-Tee
(MIT).
5. Don't reveal all the intimate details of your kid's life to the entire Chinese community.
6. Don't ask your child, "What are you going to do with you life" if he/she majors in a non-science field.
7. Don't give your son a bowl haircut or your daughter two acres of bangs.
8. Don't try to set your kid up on a date in anticipation of their poor taste or inept social skills.
9. Incorporate other phrases besides "Did you study yet?" into your daily conversations with your children.
10. Don't ask all your kid's friends over the age of 21 if they have a boy/girlfriend yet.

How to Be a Perfect Chinese Kid (from the first generation perspective)

1. Score 1600 on the SAT.
2. Play the violin or piano on the level of a concert performer.
3. Apply to and be accepted by 27 colleges.
4. Have three hobbies: studying, studying, and studying.
5. Go to a prestigious Ivy League university and win enough scholarship to pay for it.
6. Love classical music and detest talking on the telephone.
7. Become a Westinghouse, Presidential, and eventually a Rhodes Scholar.
8. Aspire to be a brain surgeon.
9. Marry a Chinese-American doctor and have perfect, successful children.
10. Love to hear stories about your parents' childhood...especially the one about walking 7 miles to school without shoes.

By AzN_Cowboy on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

The most excellent Chinese kids are outstanding in all areas. Socially, Academically, as well as Physically. However, most Chinese kids lack the Social and Physical aspects of excellence. No offense to those Chinese kids. You still make your race proud. :)

By Burberry (Burberry) on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

for korean women:

get into a prestigious university
major in some field where you're bound to meet some "successful" folk... doctors/lawyers/etc.
marry the guy
raise your children the exact same way. the end.

By A Chinese Waiting for Admission to Harvard on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 12:07 am: Edit

Dear Administrator,

Please delete every post in this threat except those containing stats.

Sincerely,

A Chinese Waiting for Admission to Harvard

By ionstan on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 01:47 am: Edit

i love your no 10 on how to become a perfect chinese kid "i understand your frustrations"

i don't like posting stats cuz I have mediocre ones but this seems like a fun thread:

stats:

1470 SAT (730 v, 740 m)
33 ACT
730/780 sat iis and going to take more
valedictorian in non-competitve public HS
all As
7 Aps all 5s
6 more Aps this year plus college work

E/C:

research (hope to publish)
editor of newspaper
state champ for history day comp
all-state speech (highest level)
in state youth group--leadership (only 15 members so kind of prestigious i guess)
violin but not very good, some leadership positions
tutor, volunteer, counselor (community service stuff that really isn't interesting)
...yeah...and other stuff...can't remember cuz it's late

e-mail: rather not share...sorry

been here for 10 years, but lived in Japan for 3 too
from Shanghai

btw: my parents are pretty strict, but they have no idea what's going on in the college admission process... they are like "yeah, even if you get into an ivy league, we still went to better schools than you!" (hahaha...schools in china...ooooh wow)

By Wow on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 04:15 am: Edit

Ionstan:

A. You post about mediocre stats. Yours is hardly mediocre.
B. China's schools are better than the U.S. Ivy League? Umm right, which school do people all over the world fight to get into? Harvard or Fudan University? Princeton or Qinghua? Please gimme a break.

By yce on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 04:16 am: Edit

whoever asked about the secret?
Being pressured 24/7 sucks. Don't raise your kid like the stereotypicalized Chinese parent.

THere seems to be some HUGE misconception about the motivation of Chinese parents to pressure their kids however. You honestly think it's all pride and a household name?

Chinese parents aren't like American ones (you do the stereotype Chinese parent, I do the stereotype American parent...;when in Rome...) where love is shown through money, cars, hugs and kisses, elaborate birthday dresses, supporting their kids till they're 40. This pressure to achieve the best that you can is a more subtle and deeper show of love, and i know that whether or not i end up going to an Ivy League my parents would always sacrifice everything they've got for me.

By Fish (Fish) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Hah. That's for "I understand your frustrations"

I fit into most of your "perfect Chinese kid" category, but I rather like those parts - it's all good.

In spite of these (I think they're quite nice) attributes, I still feel the need at times to tell my parents to "**** off." That automatically qualifies me to be ejected from the race, evidently, but I say it to them in the most loving way possible. It gets their attention. It also frees me from most of the restrictions that you listed in your advice to Chinese parents.

Advice to Chinese kids that I know nothing about and hence do not understand:
rebel. rebel hard. hate yourself for a couple of years. after that, the picture becomes a little more clear and you'll be able to live as yourself. I'm enjoying it...a little apathetically, but that comes from living at art jail. laters.

By ionstan on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

to wow:

a: Well, everyone else here has awesome stats... this board can really depress me at times. Thanks though...
b: their argument was that there are more people in china and thus the competition was more fierce... little do they know!

By 454 on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

For all that stero typing about Chinese, let me tell you somthing and I AM NOT PROUD OF IT!

I am Chinese and my parents are so full of work they never have time to teach anything to me, never give me guidlines. I do anything I want.

When I talk to my other Chinese friends, I say "damn, what els do they do but study?"

And I feel like I'm better then them because I hang out all the time, come home as late as I want. Smoke a little pot with my firends.

Now as I grow older, I really wish I can go back that few years and study. I am trying to study as hard as I can now to catch up, but since nobody is forcing me, it is very very hard.

By Fish (Fish) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

I'd have to say I'm in the same boat with 454 save the self-incrimination. I plead the 5th.

By Wondering which kind I am. on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

How about me? I'm a brilliant and hard working Chinese guy who also has fun at the same time. I party quite often, get faded/high every now and then and get laid all the time from my girlfriend. I'm also involved with sports like soccer and tennis and many other school activities. I got accepted to Cornell early this year too YAY for me.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

an @sshole.

By Tsai Shen Rui on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Chinese parents are okay, sometimes good sometimes bad. Mine pushed me with school of course and alot of times and it was alot to carry but I managed to survive LOL. They still push to this day in college. Always demanding me to chat online with them about how school is going. I guess some things never change.

By weidamengxing on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

PLEASE POST STATS!

By Gina Hsu on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 11:57 pm: Edit

Gina Hsu:

Chinese female

GPA: 4.00 UW, 4.71 W
Class rank: 1/654
SAT's: 1550 780 M, 770 V
II's: 720 Math 2C, Writing 760, Chemistry 770
AP's: All 5's except for 4 Physics and 4 Calculus.
EC's: Tennis, participated in all academic clubs and high members in a few of them including Honors Kids Club president. Also attended Stanford Summer program last summer.

Schools applied: Stanford, Harvard, MIT, Columbia, UPenn, Northwestern, Princeton, and Yale.

What do you think my chances are?

By MisanthropI Lover on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 02:07 am: Edit

being a val = very good chance @ Penn.

What are your safeties?

By Gina Hsu on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

MisanthropI Lover,

LOL sorry forgot to list my safety schools: UCLA, UCSD, UCI, and Scripps. It seems as if no matter where I go in an academic environment, I'm going to face Chinese competition LOL!

By lonelytrailertrash on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 01:05 am: Edit

gina, if you're hot and that smart....will you marry me?

By Gina Hsu on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 01:18 am: Edit

Lonelytrailertrash,

Sorry I already have a boyfriend. Thanks for your proposal though because I have to admit it did feed my ego a bit.

By MisanthropI LoveR on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 09:28 am: Edit

oh, are you applying as an intl student or pr or citizen?

By weidamengxing on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

she's definity not a intl,duh...

By mx on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:00 am: Edit

Gina Hsu, btw, please feel free to add me to ur waiting list in case anything happens between u and ur bf.

By hey on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 01:46 am: Edit

4's in AP physics and Calculus (AB or BC) will hurt...Calculus especially, because it is really the easiest AP test (it's often harder to get an A in local community college Calculus classes than to get a 5 on the AP Calc test). School grades are excellent. SAT's good for some of those schools, barely adequate for others. Any community service? It'll probably depend on your recommendations and essays...

By hey on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 01:49 am: Edit

Additionally, you'll probably have a better chance getting into schools like Yale than schools like MIT, because it seems you have better potential at the humanities and social sciences than math, science, and engineering (judging from AP's, SAT II's, and 770V is probably more impressive than 780M).

By gree on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:40 pm: Edit

i agree

By Burberry (Burberry) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Class rank: 564/822
GPA: 2.85 weighted, taken the most challenging courses offered, school is extremely difficult as witnessed by my low GPA/upper-class rank
SAT: 510V/470M
ACT: 18

EC's- Founder and president of the Animal Rights Club, AIDS Walk freshman year, library assistant, contributor to the school's literary magazine

Recc's/Essays- most excellent, "exceptional" as quoted by my counselor

Deferred Harvard, Princeton
Rejected MIT, Arizona State University, University of Arizona, Northern Arizona University

Will most likely be attending DeVry Community College in the fall unless Harvard or Princeton changes their minds... wish me luck!

By Burberry (Burberry) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

btw, I took AP Calc AB, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, and AP US History last year.

Got 2's on all of them except for Chemistry and Calculus, which I scored 1's on. But I studied on my own for the AP Music Theory exam, which I scored a 3 on! I hope colleges will take that into account =)

By suparazn on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

oh no
im turning asian

0_0 o_o =_= -_-

By suparemmi on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

im turning emmi

| .) | .) |.) |.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

btw, i'm chinese

By Burberry (Burberry) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:43 pm: Edit

who are you???????????????????????

By Burberry (Burberry) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

but seriously, do I have a shot at princeton, at least?

By ## on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

dude, I thought u were korean

By xxx@suparazn on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

no you dont, no chance at all
youre not asian enough
you have to be 1/4 chinese, 1/4 japanese, 1/4 taiwanese and 1/4 korean to win the race game

By %% on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

@sshole, people from taiwan are CHINESE!!Don't even try to argue. period.

By Doubting Thomas on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 12:46 am: Edit

Burberry?

Are you serious? Or are you a pretender trying to cause a ruckus?

By Burberry (Burberry) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

yes. but english is not my native language, and i hope schools can see that. the state universities i applied to didn't even require essay or anything, everything was judged by numbers so of course i didn't perform well. right now i am in the deferral pile for harvard and princeton, and i really hope they can see who i am through my outstanding essays.

By Darren Leung on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 12:56 am: Edit

Chinese Male

GPA: 3.95 UW, 4.53 W
Class rank: 4/441
SAT's: 1510 760 M, 750 V
II's: 730 Math IIC, Writing 710, Biology 800
AP's: All 5's except for a failure 2 on Spanish IV.
EC's: Geez let's see, ASB president, Interact/Key club president, vice-president of the science club, chess club member, art club member, event coordinator for CSF, tennis, basketball.
Schools applied: All 8 Ivies, MIT, Stanford, University of Chicago, Northwestern, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, NYU, and Carnegie Mellon.

By Fish (Fish) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 01:20 pm: Edit

U of Chicago rocks. Yeah.

Ben Folds - rockin the suburbs. check it out. its about being white, but I find it applies to my Chineseness too. Sigh.

By Fish (Fish) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Burberry, 470 math? You guys know, C is the most common answer on the SATs. This one chick I know who came from China last year, her English is expectantly abysmal. So, she put straight Cs in the verbal sections and ended up with a 4...440? Anyways, that added to her 800 math gave her a 1240, which is sufficient for most colleges. She has an advantage, of course, not being a native speaker like Burberry. But man...470 math, that's low.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

um, thanks for the encouragement =(

By UChic Chinese on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Fish,

There are quite a few Chinese at UChicago. They are the largest Asian population at the school. Just a few fun facts to know LOL.

By Fish (Fish) on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Having a lot of Chinese people around will be a radical change for me - we're just about the smallest minority here in SC. I heard in New Jersey they call Asians who hang out with white people "Twinkies." Well, twinkie pride.

You're at UChicago? I got the course booklet (wait it's like a dictionary) today in the mail. Are the admissions people evil or something? They're tempting me with this information - I don't think I hear until April for regular decision - and it's going to be like 'Sorry Fish, we rejected you even though you've read our dictionary and have your next four years planned.'

So it goes.

By Some more fun facts on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Good schools with a large Chinese population foreign or ABC:

UC Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, MIT, Cal Tech, Chicago, Cornell, Columbia, Harvard, Yale, and Penn. I'm sure there are many others but these are the ones I had in mind.

By ionstan on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 11:43 pm: Edit

rockin the suburbs is sadly accurate...

By Fish (Fish) on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 12:28 am: Edit

ben folds is my man. man.

By Cheng on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

I have a question: Will a 4 on the SAT II, US History exam bring my chances for getting into Cornell or Princeton down a lot?

By asdf on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 08:34 pm: Edit

No. It's not possible to get a 4 on the SAT II. And a 4 on an AP exam won't hurt you anyways.

By meryl on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 08:38 pm: Edit

wait, guys: I want to be in this club despite the fact that I'm whiter than the half and half I put in my coffee every morning. Can I join you guys in this little quasi-Nazi club you've establised...Oh boy! How exciting! I can be ethnically proud and condescend those who arent pure!!

By asdf on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Chinese are quasi-Nazi? I believe China was communist the last time I visited.

By meryl on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

did i say chinese were quasi-Nazi?? NO! I was talking about this forum!! Not the Chinese ppl! And you missed the point. I wasnt really talking politics. I was talking about racism! SORRY!

By Cornell Chinese kid on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Meryl,

Since when is being proud of who you are equivalent to racism? If you want to join our little club (whatever that means) or befriend us, by all means go right ahead. Go to any Chinese Student Association in college (and believe me there are lot's of them) and find me one that will exclude you if you're not Chinese.

By uiuc on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 09:52 pm: Edit

meryl, get ur ass out of this thread

By meryl on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Cornell Chinese kid,
We're all human. What is race, exactly, other than very disparities in genetic makeup due to years of evolution? We're living in America; so donít give me these arguments about how we are so "culturally disparate." Have you ever noticed, that occidental people marry occidental people, oriental people marry oriental people, African people marry African people, and so on. Why is this the reality we are living in? It really makes me sick. Sometimes I think that we treat each other like different species or something. If you donít believe me, just take a look at the discussion on this site called ďchances for ivies.Ē You donít have a clue as to how hard it is for me to wake up every morning knowing what is going on out there. Racial cliques like the one advocated on this forum help to perpetuate this truly disgusting reality. I'm really very sick of it. Racial pride is causing so much chaos in the world. I donít have anything against Chinese people; so donít get the wrong idea or anything. I'm as liberal as they come. The tone of this forum, however, is rather alarming in my opinion...

And uiuc, are you just telling me to leave because I'm white?....

By incognito on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

there you are meryl. I miss you bitch. 1.76cm dick how nice.

By incognito on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

This is the real incognito here. Sorry, but some idiot just impersonated me. I did NOT put up that 9:57 post!

By incognito on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

nor the 10:02 post!

By uglychinese on Thursday, January 30, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Chinese students are sneaky (Koreans also). All they want is that A and they don't help anyone because they so fuckin' competitive. I HATE THE CHINESE PEOPLE!!!!!!!! So cunning, wily, stout legged, and hairy chested. Get a fuckin' social life and learn how to be nice to people. This is a major generalization, but on the whole, it's true.

By zhongguo on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

happy new years....be proud of who the heck u are and dont be afraid............................see where ur parents r coming from and then take what u should from them and leave the rest. i miss chongqing.

By Burberry (Burberry) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

uglychinese, you and terence need to get together in a 3x3x3 cube and have yourselves a f*ckfest. you're equally as stupid and definetely not human, you ugly pieces of sh*t. as i said to terrence, if i knew you i'd slash your tires (even tho your car is probably already too trashed to move), set your house (more probable, your trailer) on fire, and cut your .000000001 mm d!ck off.

By meryl on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

hey chinese kid. you are a big faggot. i'm gonna rape you and your mom.

By meryl on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

I DID NOT WRITE THAT 11:12 POST! STOP IMPERSONATING ME YOU F*CKING A$S HOLE! I DONT HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST CHINESE PEOPLE, OK!

By Burberry (Burberry) on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

meryl, set up a frickin account already. really. it doesn't take that long.

By meryl on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

Burberry, what do you mean "set up a frickin account"?? What account?

By Burberry (Burberry) on Saturday, February 01, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

with a password. so people can't "impersonate" you. just click "register" on the left and i promise it only takes 30 seconds

By Kimberly08 (Kimberly08) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

hey referring back to Gamer, Jan.15 post....what is AA?

By Ma5on2004 (Ma5on2004) on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

My chinese parents are exactly like the parents described earlier in this topic..but lol i turned out nothing like the kids! i dont hang out with the chinese kids mostly because we dont have anything in common. I smoke weed, drink, party..n i havnt done hw since 5th grade..what the hell happened to me heh.

By Heling (Heling) on Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 01:26 pm: Edit

it looks like i am chinese failure,
satI 490v 690m
satII 710mathIc 490Chemistry
act 24c(23e 32m 19r 21s)
class rank 1/100

years here: 2

no AP, 4 college credit on Discrete Math, another 4 in progress on Java,

the fact is my high school doesn't teach anything that is on the test,

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page