What kinds of schools do B students go to?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: What kinds of schools do B students go to?
By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

I was just wondering! It used to be that a C was average. LOL. I am not a B student(hopefully I won't be...I have gotten a couple) but I have alot of friends who are. Let me know what you all think!

Oh yea...my friends and I all go to a private college prep school.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 11:38 am: Edit

There are plenty of good choices for students with B averages - and even for students with C averages. After all, there are over 3500 colleges/universities in the US and only about 50-100 of them are truly ultra-selective.

By Constellation35 (Constellation35) on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Here in South Florida, the majority of people with 2.8 - 3.2's unweighted go to FSU and UCF. I'm sure it's harder to get into these from out of state, though.

By Shahab (Shahab) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

Hey I was a C student in a time of B averages lol I went to Monmouth U. It's a nice college, kinda like a mini princeton as far as the scenery goes. Academics arent horrible but nothing to write home about.

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Thanks! Yea I am kind of worried....I am normally an A student but I got my semester grades back and I ended up with a B+ average.....I am going to work my butt off (so I say:-)) this semester and aim for a 3.8 or higher.

Also....my school does not have a 4.0 scale so does the college ask for for it anyways?

Does it matter if I have a VERY competitive school and only end up in the top 20%? (I want to go to Princeton....)

What is a B+ average on a 4.0 scale? Is it like a 3.6?

I am only a freshman so I have much more room for improvement! Thankyou...let me know what you ALL think!

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Oh yea....do colleges look at only the weighted GPA or regular? Which one is more important? What does calss rank usually base their rank on?

By Dohinc (Dohinc) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:07 am: Edit

just curious, why do you want to go to princeton?

By Charisma_04 (Charisma_04) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Ilabcurious: B+ average is a 3.3

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:36 pm: Edit

3.3 wow...that is really low....and I thought that a 91.5 average was not that bad.

Dohinc, to answer your question...
I have read that Princton does a 150 page thesis thing during junior and senior years, that sounds really interresting to me. I like the fact that it is probably a great experience if you are paired with a good professor. Everyone I have met that has gone there has loved it. It is known for its supperb education. I want to maygor in engineering(that is why I also might go to Northwestern.) I would be proud to be able to say that I had it in me to work up to Princeton standards. The location is both wonderful and beautiful. Trust me I have given this alot of thought! Wish me luck! :-)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

Although Princeton IS a wonderful school, I would caution you (or anybody) not to get too attached to any single school so early in your high school career. Many things can and will change over the next four years so keep an open mind and look for information on a wide variety of schools instead of focusing on just one. That way, when you're a junior and it comes time to actually start looking at schools you'll have a range of options to choose from.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

what would happen to a student who attained an overall B average at a rigorous, national top 10 prep school? any predictions on where that student would end up given his/her SAT score is 1450+ and 700+ in the SAT IIs...and has expertise in a given area (say advanced research on a unique topic) with some national recognition...EC list conveys passion, teacher recs puts the student in the top 10% (remember "one of the top few ever encountered" is a rare comment to be given by prep school teachers)...essays are interesting and personal. so which college could this student possibly end up?

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Thankyou Carolyn. Yes, I am keeping my options open but sometimes it helps when I have a goal to strive for:-) I know that it is VERY hard to get into Princeton and that you have to be one of the lucky ones. This only inspires me more!

Gianscolere, my highschool is also a very competitive highschool. I do not know if it is in one of the top ten, but I too, would be interrested in the answer of that question. Are you in the top 10% of your class?

Also, does anyone know the answers to the questions I asked earlier? THANKS!

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

bump

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Usually schools will take the high school's profile into consideration. In fact, most schools ask the school's guidance office to send a profile that describes how many kids go to college, average GPA, AP's available, etc. So they will have some sense if you've gone to a very competitive high school where there's no grade inflation and take it into consideration.

It works the opposite way as well - someone who goes to a school where very few students go on to college who has taken advantage of every possible opportunity and scores high on the SATs will be looked at very favorably.

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Well... I live in Green Bay, and many of the people's values here are different than in other places in the country. Many feel that they have to stay close to their family, and so go to St. Norberts or U of Wi. Even though we have meny smart A+ students, we only get a couple each year that challenge their own ability t go to an ivey league school. Do you think that this will help me?

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 01:20 pm: Edit

bump

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Don't worry about Bs. I had about 5 Bs in my high school career and I got into schools like USC, Berkeley, Santa Clara, UCSB, etc.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page