Chances at my #1 choice (JHU)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chances at my #1 choice (JHU)
By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Here goes...

Black female

SAT I-1440, SAT II's-740,740,670 AP's: 4,5,4

Top 3% of senior class w/ 3.7 gpa (working on improving that...)

Good (but not great) ec's: NHS vice-president, tutoring, W. I. H. S. news paper featured writer and editor, vocal, piano, etc.

Great $10 essay on the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Okay interview (whew...that guy was mean)

REALLY REALLY want to go to JHU...(wish that counted)

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Even without being black, you would still be a borderline applicant. I am almost positive your race will push you over that borderline into the "accepted" stack. Your chance at getting into JHU is probably around 95%. There is always that 5% chance that the admissions committee makes a stupid mistake, but I would almost say you're a shoe in.

By Javis (Javis) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

I say you have an excellent chance. Your SAT is higher than average. GPA is about average(maybe a little less). ECs are good too. The only question I have is why didn't you apply ED if you REALLY REALLY want to go to JHU?

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Because I am financially strapped...badly...My parents have NO money, literally.

I would love to go, but if they can't offer me enough money, I'll probably have to go to a CC or something...

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Candi... great schools like JHU will make the way for you to attend. If you get in, and the finaid package isn't great (but don't worry it may be anyways)... just call them up, and beg with the finaid office. Most top 25 schools (and many others too) will make the way for any accepted student who really wants to attend - somehow.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Why would you have to go to a CC? According to The Washington Post, " As one of only 192 blacks who scored higher than 1450 on the SAT this year, Alice Abrokwa is being wooed by some of the nation's most elite colleges. " http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A42808-2003Nov14.html

Being a black female with a 1440, you are in an elite, highly sought after group. As long as you applied wisely to colleges that offer good need-based aid, you should be fine. You'd get an extra boost if they offer merit aid.

Should you need a safety, HBCUs like Howard, FAMU offer full rides (sometimes plus laptops) to students like you.

Whether or not you get to Hopkins (which I also think you have a good chance of getting an acceptance to), you should be able to go to a decent, 4-year college.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Thanks for the help, guys...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page